CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

HVAC fan

navion

I recently bit the bullet and replaced the HVAC fan with the new style fan. I also replaced the pig tail as one of the connectors showed signs of overheat.

The other day, the wife said that the blower fan had quit. I have gone through the obvious, checking the Maxi fuse, double check the pig tail & it's splices. I even went so far as to replace the APC unit. (I had a spare.) & still no joy. (There were no APC codes displayed.)

I seem to remember a way to test the blower motor, but I can't remember where I saw the procedure.

Anyone have any Ideas?

I hope that the new blower motor is not shot, as they are not the simplest to change out. :(

Thanks.

Britt

Britt

I seem to remember a way to test the blower motor, but I can't remember where I saw the procedure.

The red and black wires/terminals are B+ and GND respectively. The centre GRY/BLK wire controls the blower speed. The voltage on this circuit is inversely proportional to the motor RPM; when it is high (B+), the motor will not operate. If you wish to test the blower, hook up power and ground, then connect the centre terminal to one leg of a resistor (say 2000 ohms), and ground the other leg. The higher the resistance, the slower the speed.

Kevin

The red and black wires/terminals are B+ and GND respectively. The centre GRY/BLK wire controls the blower speed. The voltage on this circuit is inversely proportional to the motor RPM; when it is high (B+), the motor will not operate. If you wish to test the blower, hook up power and ground, then connect the centre terminal to one leg of a resistor (say 2000 ohms), and ground the other leg. The higher the resistance, the slower the speed.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin,

I will have to get my decade box back from the friend that I lent it to. Hopefully I can prove that the motor is good or bad.

Britt

Britt

Archived