CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

93 Seville Trunk Water

Does the car have a sunroof?

My '93 had a water leak at the gas filler door/ tube.

Dont blame the trunk seal yet.

Does the car have a sunroof?

Does not have sunroof.

But the seal I have is torn in several places so I think replacement would be good idea anyway. However, I do agree with you that the seal may not be the only problem. I have removed everything from the trunk (carpet and all) and it leaks bad even when just sitting in the rain (not driving) I can see water drips in from the seal just above the tail lights.

I will also inspect the fuel filler door area, thanks for the tip.

Just had my "02 in to the dealer for a trunk leak under warranty. They replaced the trunk seal, resealed some body seams around the tail light and realigned the deck lid.

Water in Seville trunks is not an uncommon problem. (For some reason, it seems to be far less common in other Cadillac models.) Search the archives using key words like "trunk leak" or "water in trunk". There has been a lot of discussion about this topic and, hopefully, you can find your solution.

Good luck!

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Sal,

I'm not sure if your 93 trunk design is the same as my 94. If it is I find it hard to believe rain water can get passed the metal lip (mine is a raised lip) running around the trunk that holds the black rubber seal. Especially if the car is parked. However, I could see it happening if the car was moving. I would definitely check out the area behind the fuel door too. Here's a link to bigfoo's water leak problem. On the second page I posted (with pictures) about my experience with a trunk leak.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...3&hl=trunk&st=0

And here's a couple more links you may want to check out as well.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...c=2336&hl=trunk

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1421&hl=

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Sal,

I'm not sure if your 93 trunk design is the same as my 94. If it is I find it hard to believe rain water can get passed the metal lip (mine is a raised lip) running around the trunk that holds the black rubber seal. Especially if the car is parked. However, I could see it happening if the car was moving. I would definitely check out the area behind the fuel door too. Here's a link to bigfoo's water leak problem. On the second page I posted (with pictures) about my experience with a trunk leak.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...3&hl=trunk&st=0

And here's a couple more links you may want to check out as well.

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...c=2336&hl=trunk

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=1421&hl=

My 93 is like the 94 and it does have a lip all the way around. What appears to be happening is that as the water runs down the left and right side along the bottom of the lip, it then wicks up into the seal and the seal is a little ripped in this area so I can see where it drips in. However, I see a lot of water in the trunk after a good nights rain. if it rains 1/2" that night the spare tire well gets 1/4" of water in it. I think I may have more than a seal problem here and that why I'm looking for other advice.

My fuel filler neck looks in good shape it's not cracked and no rust or anything like that. Should I just let the hose run into the fuel filler area and see what happens? What's the best way to test this?

Thanks.

Hi Sal,

If you want to check the fuel door area for leaks then pop the trunk (make sure you sponge out all of the water that's inside it). Then take a hose and run water over the fuel door (the cap and door should be on and closed) as if it were raining straight down. Allow the water to creep in and around the outer edges of the fuel door. While you're doing this check to see if water is coming into the trunk. Best to pull out the liner so you can clearly see any water. You should know if you have a leak there within a minute or two. If you see water then let me know and I'll advise accordingly.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

To check the fuel pipe...you have to take the plastic bucket out at the outside fuel fill.

Verify that area is sealed panel wise.

Mine had a major droop in body sealer. Wide open hole into my trunk.

Just piling up oddities: My 94 Eldo has been fine for leakage for the 2+ years I've owned it until the last couple weeks of torrential rain here in New England...Gaskets are still fine but I found the sealant around the drain hose from the sunroof that exits out the bottom of the trunk was gapping and mushed it back into place (thinking water was splashing UP into trunk from road). It still leaked...then in poking around the passenger's side of the trunk, I noticed a couple of rusty rivets at the bottom of the motor housing for the power antenna (which no longer works due to its power feed being pirated for trunk woofer--not my idea) and voila--the water is leaking in around the antenna shaft and dripping into the trunk...I hope that greasing the antenna shaft will seal it off and stop the leak...

To check the fuel pipe...you have to take the plastic bucket out at the outside fuel fill.

Verify that area is sealed panel wise.

Hi Logan,

Check out the pics of the leak work I did this past season. http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...&hl=trunk&st=15

When you get to the fuel door pics you'll notice that there is no seal or walrus around the plastic bucket. It becomes obvious by design that some water is permitted to flow behind the plastic bucket. In one of the pics you'll notice that I removed the bucket and you can clearly see the fuel fill tube and the secondary wall or panel which would be the trunk area. Any water that gets behind that bucket simply drains to the ground unless....... unless the foam that's used to fill in the hanger troughs (these are temporary hangers that are shaped like house rain gutters that were inserted to hold body peices together during welding) is missing due to age and deterioration. Most of mine was missing. If you remove (Sal) your plastic bucket you'll notice one of these hangers directly below where the bucket sits.... how convenient. laugh.gif So everytime it rained, the rain would flow around, in, and behind (like it should) the bucket and drain into the exposed hanger (gutter). Where does that hanger run into? It runs directly to a corner trunk seam. That open seam could only be seen by inserting a little mirror inside the fuel door, with the trunk open to allow light. I was able to clearly see the light . Hope all that made sense.

"Burns" rubber

Hi Logan,

Check out the pics of the leak work I did this past season. http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...&hl=trunk&st=15

The pictures are great and I can clearly see the problem I will check those areas. Thanks.

Hi Logan,

The pictures are great and I can clearly see the problem I will check those areas. Thanks.

Sal,

Make sure to keep us posted on your progress or findings along the way. And if you can post any pictures that would be helpful as well.

"Burns" rubber

• 5 months later...

OK, I started this thread several months ago and now that the Weather finaly is nice in New England I decided to fix this trunk leak once and for all. It's now fixed!

First I thought must be the trunk seal as I knew it leaked some (I could see it) so I bought the new one ($60.00) and guess what - the trunk still had water - lots of it!

So OK it was not the seal after all - or maybe just a little water due to the seal.

So where was all the water coming from? I decided to get in the trunk with a flashlight while my Son (8yrs old) put water over the lid with the hose - great job for an 8yr old - sure, I asked him to get in the trunk but he refused. I must mention all carpet was removed from the trunk while doing this. Within 30 seconds I found the leak! Right behind the Passanger rear tail light water was entering right from in between the seam sealer just down from the rear tail light. I mean lots of water! I then removed the tail light and it seams that at the bottom of the tailight cavity you have this great shelf that all the water that runs down the trunk along the trunk seal (like a river of it) lands right on this shelf under the tail light. As I looked at the shelf closely I noticed it is coated heavily with seam sealer as well and then painted over with the same finish as the car. The trouble was this shelf had very little seam sealer as compared to the other side. And the fact that the car is 13yrs old allowed a little bit of rust to develop in this area that caused the welded seam (being protected by the sealer) to swell and once swollen it had a pin hole maybe 1-2mm but wow, how much water came come through such a small hole! So I removed all the sealer inside and out with the help of a heat gun and then cleaned the welded seam real good. I then applied new sealer (Not Caddi seam sealer but Auto Grade seam sealer) on the inside and on the self under the tail light as well. We retested the next day - not one drop of water! I have a nice dry trunk once again.

I also suspect that minor collisions to the rear bumber may also have cause the seam to split but not 100% sure about that.

I had a problem with this for a long time, until my sunroof started leaking. I looked in my shop manual and found out that there are tubes that drain the sunroof and two of them drain through the trunk floor, sure enough, I had one that in the hole that drains out onto the ground, it was in the trunk draining water in there. Problem solved, my suggestion is to check these first, just pull up the trunk liner to locate them. Good luck,

Eric

Nice Job Sal. That's good information you're sharing. I'm glad you got it solved and fixed. What a pain in the neck having to worry about what you put in the trunk and then always wondering "Gee I wonder if it's going to rain today."

"Burns" rubber

• 1 year later...

Archived