CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rejected at Emissions Test

bschelle

My 99 Deville is throwing the P0741 code. I cleared the code and took it to be tested and I was rejected because the OBD was not ready. How far do I have to drive it or let it idle before the OBD is ready? They told me to drive it for a couple of weeks or take it to a service repair facility to have it checked out. Any soggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Bill.

Typical Drive Cycle

I believe that if you run the vehicle through the following routine, your PCM will be set to ready. Be advised that it's possible that at that point you will have re-set the DTC P0741 TCC System Stuck Off code again.. sad.gif Mike

post-3-1129061929_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's good information. My '99 STS is setting P0741 about once a week, and the time inbetween is shrinking sad.gif My state uses the OBD test so I'll remember to clear codes and run in 3rd for the week before the test.

Is there any harm with running and ignoring the P0741? I've read that it's a cheap part and lots of labor hours to fix.

I believe that the TCC solenoid is in the trans side cover and you need to drop the trans (or at least lower the cradle) to get at it.

Not fixing it just means that the torque converter will not lock up above 41 MPH, thus at any given speed above 41, you'll be turning 100-200 higher RPM. That means slightly lower fuel milage but I doubt it will equate to more than a MPG if that.

• 2 weeks later...

We had a discussion on this topic a few weeks back. Another effect of not running in lockup, besides lower fuel economy, will be transmission heat. When not in lockup, your transmission is constantly in a state of slip. That generates a LOT of heat. This is very evident if you have a transmission temperature gauge (like my dad had in his Ford diesel truck). I would make sure to change the transmission fluid often (like, annually) if I didn't have a functional torque converter, especially if I did a lot of interstate driving.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Archived