CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

New Brakes

speedyman_2

Well, the rotors came in today and I already had the EBC pads at home. Put them on in no time and well, they work great. I should've never bought those cheap rotors from Ebay. Oh well. These new Power Slot rotors are great. No suprises this time. A slight squeel later on but I think It might be ok. I did have one problem with one of the small metal clips on the caliper mounts. Rattle clip or something?? A portion got bent and was scraping the rotor. No problem, just bent it back and everything was good to go. Here's the pics. I knew the pads were bad, but I didn't know they were this bad. I also noticed that the Passenger side pads were almost completely gone. While the Driver side had about an 1/8th of an inch left. The pads pictured are the Passenger side. I didn't get any of the Driver's side. What would cause a difference in wear like this??

Old brakes:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

New Brakes :):

5.jpg

6.jpg

IPB Image

Those new rotors are different. I don't think I have ever seen then like this?

They don't have the holes drilled right through?

Interesting.

Let us know how they are?

Where did you get them from, and how much?

Big Jay :D

Life is too short to grow up!

Bought the Rotors from Tire Rack.com for $122.00/ea. And I think I paid $60 for the front pads. I didn't do the rear's one, because they are fine and two, I don't have to cash to do them yet. I checked them out and they do need pads however. So, I'll get those done this weekend. Rotors are fine back there. :) Oh and the rotors.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?...roStop+II+Rotor

They're slotted and "dimpled." Instead of drilled all the way through.

IPB Image

no prob. I seated them yesterday and the short drive to work everyday is easy on them too. I want to go to the races on friday. They should be good I don't have to brake too hard after a run. Instead of racing though I might go and coat my calipers. What do you guys think of this color??

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product...&iProductID=558

IPB Image

What do you guys think of this color??

It looks like a flat aluminum color, rather than a silver, no?

I like it, its not too flashy.

I like them red myself. I guess it depends on the color of the car too.

Big Jay

Thanks for posting photos & description.

Interesting article excert here:

http://www.library.unsw.edu.au/~thesis/adt.../07chapter6.pdf

where they tested normal ventilated rotors vs slotted only vs slotted and with holes. The slotted stopped approx 5% shorter, slotted/holes about 10% shorter.

An advantage I see mentioned often but they did not test was better braking in the rain with slotted rotors.

Will be interesting to hear how yours wear. It is very easy to find brake kits for $1500-$4K so upgrades for under $200 are nice.

On the color I'd have to see it vs your wheels and Cadillac colors. Saw one interesting idea where they sprayed with silver (or red I forget), let dry, then masked out letters, then sprayed them with black, so they could leave silver lettering spelling out whatever on the calipers.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Saw one interesting idea where they sprayed with silver (or red I forget), let dry, then masked out letters, then sprayed them with black, so they could leave silver lettering spelling out whatever on the calipers.

Thats an absolute AWESOME idea!!!!!

I think I might even try this myself.

Thanks Bruce!

Big Jay :D

These wheels will stay this color? The next time you have the wheels off, take a photo for us, I am curious how they will look. Did you paint the pads? This is the first time I have seen the dimples, interesting. I want to do this at some point, maybe my next brake job. Nice, let us know how they grip when you finally get into them..

I bought the "Cheapie" ones from E-bay. $179.00 for all four if I remember correctly... and they have the goldish finish (I think he said they were treated with Zinc). They stayed Goldish for about 6 months, but they still look good. They have darkened up from the brake dust and such, but don't ever show signs of rust. Overall I am very happy with them and the ceramic pads that I used. They have the slots and holes, with the holes going all the way thru.

The Powerstop rotors are gold cadmium coated. They do NOT rust. They're incredible; I didn't think much of that cool sounding coating, but it really works. My brother got new slotted/drilled rotors from ACDelco and they're NOT coated, and they're ALREADY starting to rust.

They also do have silver-colored coatings, and my guess is Speedyman's new rotors ARE coated. He'll know for sure in about a month. ;)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

I recently purchased PowerStop rotors (Drilled & Slotted Ft. - Drilled only Re.) from Summit Racing (@105 Ft. $70 Re. ea.) and am Very Pleased with them!

But the Best Part turned out to be the Ceramic Pads!!! (@ $40)

I haven't bought or used wheel cleaner since. :)

They stop Great, they're Quite, and my wheels are Always clean.

I'm sure I spent $40 in wheel cleaners over the past 5 yrs. while wearing-out my old pads. -hehehe

I've never painted a caliper before, so my question is: How careful do you have to be when painting a caliper as to not get paint onto the mating/sliding surfaces? Would it not cause a point where the caliper will bind on itselt like a window that has had it tracks painted?

Archived