CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Front End Noises Fixed

Regis

On Monday morning Ken the mech installed the stabilizer bar bushings and both end links. He believed they were the originals. The end link bolts were frozen and had to be cut off. Well I'm happy to report that the banging sound over bumps are gone as well as the creaking sound when turning the steering wheel to the left either at a stop or on very slow left turns. The creaking issue had been plaguing me for well over a year. At first I wasn't going to do the end links but after talking to a few knowledgeable people (online GM parts guys, local Cadillac parts guy, and Scotty), I developed a hunch about the cause of the creaking noise. It appears the end links were the culprits all along....at least the left one. All is quiet and "normal" again. Hopefully some will find this information useful.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

adallak,

Now that I've thought about it, it's been closer to 3 years now. This goes all the way back to when i had the upper strut mounts done thinking they were the cause. I had a firmer ride but the creaking was still present.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Glad to know that I'm on the right track - just ordered link kits for my '94 STS and hope that cures the clunking sounds....

One of my links had just about 1/16'' play where it was connected to the strut and what a terrible loud clunk it produced! One could think the engine was going to fall appart! :blink:

Make sure the connection is really tight before replacing the links.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

How much were the parts and where did you get them, i have the same problem on my 96sts, every bump produces a loud clunking noise on the passanger side. Is it and easy repair to do yourself???

Matt :ph34r:

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...BUT, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "darn...that was fun!"

www.madd.ca

How much were the parts and where did you get them, i have the same problem on my 96sts, every bump produces a loud clunking noise on the passanger side. Is it and easy repair to do yourself???

Matt :ph34r:

Matt,

Here's a response I posted in another topic. I think it will have the info you're looking for.

Where online is the best place to buy Cadillac parts, Thanks

Which ever online site you decide to purchase Cadillac parts from just make sure to call your local dealer and give them a chance to compete for your business. This morning I was on the phone with gmotors.com (Brasington) looking for stabilizer bar bushings (Insulators) and End Links for my 94sts. This is what they quoted me not including tax and shipping: Insulators- $24.64/each and End Links- $74/each. I say OK to Craig and tell him I'll get back with him. I think this is a bit high considering they claim everything is 20% over wholesale.

So I call up my local caddy dealer and get this nice gentleman in the parts department... and he's a rather funny guy too, bonus. So I ask him for a price on the insulators. $30.31/each is his response. Hmmm getting worse but I expected this. So I tell him Thanks and that I usually buy my parts out of state and was just curious to see what the parts were going for locally. All of a sudden "Whoops!... I eh...hehe...I gave you the wrong price. You'll have to excuse me, not sure where my head is...it's early (I laugh along with him) you know." Long story short he quotes me: Insulators-$23.47/each and Endlinks- $70.80/each. Everything should be in tomorrow morning for me to pick up.

Perhaps some will find this story useful the next time parts are needed. I came out ahead twice in this situation. Once for saving money and of course helping the local economy and secondly because Craig at Brasington seemed to be in a less than stellar mood.

That was taken from this discussion:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7251

Hope this is of some help. At least a good point of reference. As far as doing it yourself I don't see why not if you have the tools and your bolts aren't frozen like mine were. Everything on my 94 is fairly accessible not sure about your 96 but I'd imagine it would be about the same?

"Burns" rubber

Glad to know that I'm on the right track - just ordered link kits for my '94 STS and hope that cures the clunking sounds....

Whoaa! and holy smok-a-ronis Niteryder. Do I spy 400,000 miles on your 94STS??? If you have a digital camera you need to do us all a favor and post some pics of your car. I'm impressed and would love to see it's condition. Does it still have the original engine and tranny? I would love to see and hear any details you care to share.

"Burns" rubber

Archived