CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

replacing drivers side window switch

llewis

If you are sure it is the switch, it's pretty easy to replace. The problem could be something else, however, such as the motor, the wiring, jambed or broken regulator mechanism.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

Some have reported that a stuck motor can be freed by holding the switch while slamming the door. This can be a life saver if your window is stuck in the down position.

However, since yours is stuck in the closed position, you might not want to try it.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Some have reported that a stuck motor can be freed by holding the switch while slamming the door. This can be a life saver if your window is stuck in the down position.

However, since yours is stuck in the closed position, you might not want to try it.

Regards,

Warren

Warren, I've done that door slamming trick a time or two, three, or four ;) . Haven't had to do it in over a year. For me it was always a case of the window not going down. So I'd open the door, hold the switch in the down position, and give the door a good slam closed while still holding the switch in the down position. Viola!

I know that you already know this procedure. I typed it out for the benefit of those that might find it useful.... in a pinch. One of the niftiest tricks I've learned to date. And now for my next trick I'll need a member from the audience.......

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Warren, I've done that door slamming trick a time or two, three, or four ;) . Haven't had to do it in over a year. For me it was always a case of the window not going down. So I'd open the door, hold the switch in the down position, and give the door a good slam closed while still holding the switch in the down position. Viola!

I know that you already know this procedure. I typed it out for the benefit of those that might find it useful.... in a pinch. One of the niftiest tricks I've learned to date. And now for my next trick I'll need a member from the audience.......

Yes, a generation ago I used that trick on my Mark III. It kept me going for maybe 5-7 weeks. In the end I wound up replacing the motor.

I cleaned the filth off the armature of the old motor and thereafter found it pulled like heck. I kept it as a spare for a few years. Never used it, though.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived