CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Pop n' drop widows...Devilles

Logan

Hmmmm.....I knew this would happen. #2 of 4 window regulators failed Saturday. Drivers front this time.....hottest day of the summer in Nashville...POP .....the window drops.

Great...

Anyway these units are $400 a pop at Cadillac.

There is a way to fix them. I attached a picure. The cheap white plastic fails at the point indicated.

Also note the transmission. This is basically where the cable wraps around a gear about 8 times. God help you if yours gets tangled....like mine.

After fixing the crap plastic....then reloop the transmission....Grrrrrr.....how to get the cable back on both cams (each end white plastic....? Impossible.

I saw a notch on one and knew that had someting to do with it....hour latter figured it out. (see yellow paint mark on gear)

You use a Torx screwdriver.....hook it in the slot with the cable on it...then tap the screwdriver shaft aound.... its kind of hard..... but cable will drop right on the gear.

post-3-1124681676_thumb.jpg

Logan, I try to avoid messing around inside the doors. I have changed motors but when it comes to removing the mechanism, wow. Did you need to remove the window? Now, how to you align everything, are there a lot of adjustments? The drivers window was not working for a couple of years on my 91, and I was too afraid to get in there to fix it, are my fears unfounded? Mike

Logan,Thanks for the how to's I had a window fail the srv.mgr. told me it's the cable that fails but I bet it's that plastic part you show in the pix. I probably will be hearing another pop in the near future, It sure it a cheap looking regulator.

Jim

Scotty

I have been inside the door panels on many cars fixing things. The hardest part is removing the door panel without tearing or doing damage to the door panel itself or the clips I always get some spare clips before I go inside to do something widows can be a pain in the a--

What method did you use to repair the plastic piece or did you fabricate a replacement?

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

You have to unclamp the window from the regulator. Those are the black blocks. (note the pic is rotated almost 90 degrees)

Lift the glass up....and then use tape to hold it up in the door.

The regulator can be uncliped in a sense.

There is a nugget on the cable. First clean the area with carb or brake cleaner. ....its a greasy part. Relocate the nugget on the regulator. Then (I use) OEM Devcon plastic bonder. Rotate it back and snap into place.

You could use JB Weld I suspect.

These all will fail sooner or latter. 2 done.....2 to go....

Logan,

Where do I purchase "Devcon"? You mentioned it before to seal led deck lamps.

Larry,

It is a very strong epoxy - any industrial supply shop such as Graingers should have it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived