CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Transmission problem update

Oldgamer

That morning I started engine after I changed solenoids of my transmission.

Unfortunately, it still has same problem :(

I filled Dexron III yesterday and left it stay overnight, today filled more. Started the engine for a bit to get rid of air, so I could fill it more.

Get around of block fine, then again it failed. Because of no drive on ANY gear after transmission getting warm and no codes I suspect low line pressure. To check if Transmission Pressure Solenoid (force motor) works I did a Dynamic Line Pressure Test (Helm manual, page 7A-7A-24). I didn't have a gauge unfortunately. Sure enough, when I manualy increased pressure overriding PS20, it starts drive. When transmission gets hotter it requires even more overriding to drive. So, it looks like Transmission Pressure Solenoid responds, and cause is something else.

I guess I need to go to mechanic. :(

I am impressed with your diagnostics! Good Job, someone here replaced his pump, but I think he dropped the carriage to do that. Find a good shop, I would not drive it there as you may damage your clutches. At this point I would not drive it anymore.. Great work, you have a lot of information to give to a good tranny shop...

What I have done in the past is to walk into my local Caddy dealer (service manager) and ask them who does their work, not foolproof, but let them know how you found them, you would think that the tranny shop would not want to muddy their relationship with the dealer...

Thanks Mike for the good word (I need a hug :unsure::lol: ). To find good shop is the hardest thing. Not so far from me, down the hill is a Gibraltar Transmissions. May be I give them to try. I'm not in rush. Cadillac dealer even closer, but I don't want to go there.

Thanks Mike for the good word (I need a hug  :unsure:  :lol: ). To find good shop is the hardest thing. Not so far from me, down the hill is a Gibraltar Transmissions. May be I give them to try. I'm not in rush. Cadillac dealer even closer, but I don't want to go there.

Re-read my post I posted my method of finding a good shop after the fact...

By the way check this post, droger03 changed his pump, interesting thread

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=4343&hl=

I checked the post you gave me, it's very interesting. Too bad we don't know how it worked out.

The method of finding a good shop you gave me... I'm not sure if dealer will tell me who works for them.

Well let me tell you their angle. They don't typically do work on trannys on older cars, they would not rebuilt my 91, they typically send them out to a local shop. If you approach your Service Manager with that attitude, that you know they send some tranny work "for old cars like mine" out and "who does he recommend" you might get lucky.. He also knows that you can not afford to pay HIS rebuild price given the age of your car, its not worth it so he may open the door for you to go direct.. Just a though. Mine told me immediately who they use...

Not so far from me, down the hill is a Gibraltar Transmissions.

Sooo, you appeared to be in Spain? :lol:

Scotty, was not the shop which screwed your 91 Seville's transmission up recommended by a local caddy dealer?

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Yeah, it looks like that. Before doing to the dealer I checked that link Marika gave cartalks.com and called to one of the mechanic from the list I found to get the address. I was told to make appointment first, do not bring the car. They are very busy. It's a good sign I think. Still I'll go to the dealer, it's interesting to know what he'll say.

Scotty, was not the shop which screwed your 91 Seville's transmission up recommended by a local caddy dealer?

Yes, good memory. HOWEVER, I think what happened to me was unusual given that I was recommended by Cadillac. I think the owner was a horses asss with no business sense.

What I suggested to oldgamer was much better than walking off the street cold, AT LEAST you have the recommendation of someone that understands the complexity of these trannys and someone he has seen their work... For me to walk in off the street with NO prior knowledge of their work, I might as well sell the car.

I think the place that did my actual tranny work did a good job on the tranny but a CRAPPY job re-installing it... The things that went wrong I can caution oldgamer about...and he can bring it to their attention that its a concern of his..."the R&R", is typically done by the lowest level mechanic in the shop...but as I found out a very important part of the job. The R&R IS grunt work compared to actually doing the rebuild..

Scotty Transmission on 183 Targee street. That what I found out from the dealer.

I called to that place and explained the simptoms and what I did. The mechanic was very surprised. He even tried "How you can diagnose?". After I told him I changed solenoids and asked him about a price, he gave me price for full rebuild (1 year warranty) around $2000-2500. I know it means $2500 at least. I don't want to go there.

P.S. I found that strange, that when I check fluid level of cold transmission I can't see fluid at all, and then when it's warm the level is normal (hot mark). Should it change level so dramatically?

I'm talking about morning condition: engine is not running, everything is cold. I know that fluid level not supposed to be checked in these conditions, but still it seems strange to me that I can't see level at all. If I run engine, then level became on a hot mark pretty fast, even if transmission temperature sensor shows some low temperature.

Oldgamer, I think that is normal. I recall once checking mine engine off and it was very low. Then I got my senses back and it made a big difference, even cold.

The trans fluid must be checked after the car has been driven. Park on a level surface and with the engine running, shift from park, to drive and back to park - pausing three seconds between gears. The fluid should be at the hot level / in the operating range on the dipstick. If not, add a small qualtity of Dexron 3 and check it again. Repeat the process until the fluid level is in the operating range / full hot mark.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived