CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

N* Parts list and costs

jhall

Hi Guys,

I made an effort to get all my papers in front of me tonight to try and total up the cost of the rebuild for my '97 N*. I orginally guessed that if I kept it around $2,500 I'd be in decent shape since the value on the car was about $5K.

It's still cheaper than a car payment (at least I keep telling myself that). I plan on driving it for another two years if possible.

See attached list. Note that the total cost is pretty accurate since the invoices provide the total at the bottom. I had some difficulty identifying costs for some of the individual parts since the descriptions are not clear enough on the invoices, but the list of total items is correct.

Parts_List.doc

Exhaust bolts $0.61 are you insane??? :D:D:D ...LOL

You had you hands full I see!

Did it all work out good?

Big Jay

Life is too short to grow up!

Thanks jhall, that was a lot more expensive than I thought initially, but when I thought about it, you did WAY more than time-sert the engine, you rebuilt it so that makes sense. How is it running? How smooth is it at idle? Did you clear up the O2 sensor code? Amazing job. Where is the link to the job?

I have my 1994 STS in the shop for Northstar R&R. The rebuild of the engine is going to cost $2850. 7 year, 100,000 mile warranty + $1300 for the R&R labor of the motor.

It is a shop in Seattle whom I've vetted pretty good. Man, I miss my car. I wonder if I'll pick up a few ponies not burning coolant? The engine had 92k on the clock and ran pretty good considering all the little problems, worst of all the overheating.

Good luck with your job! My car is paid for too and I like it so much and it is so suited to me that I thought it would be worth the transplant.

Adam

Yeah - US$0.61 for a bolt - I got screwed :P

The other solution was to buy a box from the local supplier - less per unit, but what the heck would I do with another 92 bolts like that?? :blink:

Scotty, it runs very, very smooth - I think much is attributed to the new engine/tranny mounts. I have to pay attention after I crank it or I'll think it didn't start. Changed out the O2 sensor. Mileage is averaging 22MPG per the DIC on 87 octane (no pings for now).

I did do way more than needed to get it on the road again. I tried to separate the "must-have parts" from the "additional items" in the parts list.

Since I had the tranny and engine pulled out, I figured I might as well fix all the known bugs - e.g. typical oil gasket and seal leaks and the split case gasket to avoid the horrible case leak. See attached pic to give an idea of the mess.

I need to pull out the digital pics that will provide a portfolio of the work. Right now my day job is getting in the way of life, so it'll have to wait a while. I'll see if I can get the pics posted on the forum as a N* teardown / timesert project.

caddy_engine_before.JPG

post-3-1121479705_thumb.jpg

Yeah - US$0.61 for a bolt - I got screwed :P

The other solution was to buy a box from the local supplier - less per unit, but what the heck would I do with another 92 bolts like that?? :blink:

Scotty, it runs very, very smooth - I think much is attributed to the new engine/tranny mounts. I have to pay attention after I crank it or I'll think it didn't start. Changed out the O2 sensor. Mileage is averaging 22MPG per the DIC on 87 octane (no pings for now).

I did do way more than needed to get it on the road again. I tried to separate the "must-have parts" from the "additional items" in the parts list.

Since I had the tranny and engine pulled out, I figured I might as well fix all the known bugs - e.g. typical oil gasket and seal leaks and the split case gasket to avoid the horrible case leak. See attached pic to give an idea of the mess.

I need to pull out the digital pics that will provide a portfolio of the work. Right now my day job is getting in the way of life, so it'll have to wait a while. I'll see if I can get the pics posted on the forum as a N* teardown / timesert project.

Do you think you could pop up a little bigger image? Or send one to me at chevyorange<at>gmail<dot>com?

Thanks,

Adam

chevyorange,

Here's a neat N* image for you. It's the lead pix in an excellent article someone here directed us to at:

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/us/us100232.htm

Regards,

Warren

Northstar.gif

post-3-1121491699_thumb.jpg

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived