CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sunroof

ted tcb

My sunroof picked up an annoying habit yesterday.

It opens fine with one touch.

When closing, it used to stop briefly at the closed position, and then tilt up if you still kept on pressing the switch,

Now, as soon as it reaches the closed position, it immediately continues into the tilt position. You have to guess when its closed, and release the switch at just the right moment.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Mine seemed to do that when I first bought it, I thought it was normal. Now it stops between close and lift. Maybe I just got good at letting go at the right time, who knows. You might try unhooking the battery for a spell and clear out any memories.

Now, as soon as it reaches the closed position, it immediately continues into the tilt position. You have to guess when its closed, and release the switch at just the right moment.

This is usually due to a bad "Limit" switch on the motor assembly. Of course, it could also be a bad plug/socket or Astro Roof Control Module.

The switch closes only when the roof is closed and flush. In all other roof positions the switch is open.

You must partially drop the headliner to get to either the motor *smurf*'y or the module.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Okay, this is how they did it in 1995.

Roof3.jpgDrawing

Roof2.jpgChart

Roof1.jpgWiring

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Thanks for scanning that, Warren.

I'll see how brave I am ... sure looks tougher than my rotor swap.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

I'll see how brave I am ... sure looks tougher than my rotor swap.

Don't be intimidated. "Chart 2" is simply asking you to verify the continuity of the limit switch along with its connecting red and yellow wires in the roof closed position. With the roof open there should be NO continuity across the red and yellow wires (and, of course, the switch).

The limit switch is part of the motor *smurf*'y:

If the switch is bad, you replace the motor *smurf*'y.

If the switch is good, you replace the control module.

Piece o' cake!

Regards,

Warren

P.S. Download those photos if you think you'll need them. I don't know how long they'll remain on the hosting site.

Posted Image

Archived