CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Rough idle,kick,buck,hesitate,load up,hissy fit

Matt

Hey all. Things have been getting better and the replacement engine is getting dialed in. There is plenty of power, it starts nice and warms up fine. The opperating temps are great and today it was 72 for the first time with this engine and I ran it hard and the temps were 200-207-212 -200F. I'm not one to brag about street racing,BUT, it has held its own a few times and I felt very good about it. But tonight for the first time in about 8 days the engine went nuts, I was out for about 15 min when it began to stutter, kick, buck and the more you pressed on the excelerator it would hold back and buck. Then I put it in neutral and shut the key, I coast for about 15 seconds and restart and all was great again for the remainder of the trip,about 65 miniuts. I did make a big mistake here, I should have checked again for a code. The next time it starts this I will pull over and look for a code. I did that in the past but there were no codes to show any problems. I keep hopeing it will give me a code someday and I will have someware to look. I have pulled over in the past and looked over as many wires as I could get my hands on under the hood wile it was running rough, I have checked everything to no availe. Has anybody ever gone through this. Hey Mike, you said lets wait till the new distributor was in so we could rule that out, well--- it's in. LOL. Mike you should have seen it go this evening. I have to stop that stuff. Ware do you think I look next??

We had something similar recently, I am about to go to bed, but someone got a free seville or eldo and he was getting fits like you are.. It ended up being his PCM, it had a short. He determined it by tapping on the PCM while the car was running, I think its under the dash on the passenger side... Glad its starting to run better... Did you by change have the same problem with the OLD engine? Mike

I think Scotty may be right. After about 10 minutes the ECM/PCM can warm up and cause these problems.

Also could be a coil pack going bad. Same issue....warm up time.

OK MIke!!! Great reading!!! Thanks so much, the thread was wonderfull. I see what you guys mean about the PCM acting up and how it can make the car nutsO.. It was something how it cleared up that fellows problems. Mike I think I will call Scott just to see if he has any PCMs around. I got to mine this AM break time. It is located up above and to the right of the passengers feet, kinda under the glove box. WOW, tons of wires to it. I see to nuts holding it to a bracket on the right side of it. I can't see what is holding it on the left side of it. It is not tigh in there either, it has about 3/8" movement in it. I guess it's been moving around in there for years. Good Ah?? I will see more lunch time. I would like to get it on the floor and leave it for the next time it acts up so I can tap on it and wiggle the wires. Also that link had info about a leather repair place. My back seat in one spot is a bit worn, maybe I can pick up some ideas there too. Thanks Guys. I will report more as I find it.

Matt, was your car doing this before the engine swap, i forget?

Also, while the engine is running or while you are driving the car, tap on the PCM or have your girlfriend tap on it to see if you can induce any DEFLUBIATIONS...

Just don't replace it without some definate reason, also check for loose connections at it... Although I dont think that Scott will charge you too much probably less than $75 my guess

Hey Mike, yes it was doing that before the new engine went in. I called Scott and gave him the number on the PCM, it is 16132240. He will call back in 15 miniuts or so after he sees if he has one. If not then I don't know what.. Maybe just get a new one someware. I'v just been sinking so much money in it lately. I'm just checking to see if he has one for now. Yes I want to do just that, get it on the floor so I can tap on it when it acts up. I may have to replace it though, maybe tapping on it will do nothing, then I will have to just take a shot at it. First step is to get it unbolted and on the floor. I found it interesting that in the link you sent me I read that his car did not idle good like mine. After he replaced the PCM it idles perfect. We will see. I got a customer, be back later.

Hey Mike, I just had my parts guy here at work call his friend. I can get a PCM with out the chip for $25.00 and free S&H via UPS. I think I'm just going to replace it. I mean what else can it be? If it were a bad or loose wire just shutting the engine off and restarting it would not fix it like its been doing right?. Also the distributor came with a coill that looked like it was new so I can rule that out. We checked the fuel pressure and it was good all around. What is left? but the PCM.

I took the PCM off of its mount, it was easy, two 10mm nuts and the other side has one of those allighnment pegs you line it up on. I put it on the floor and a guy I work with went out for lunch. Low and behold it went into one of its fits. The mechanic I work with was aware of the problem and checked the wires and plugs to it and taped it around just like I would have. It made no change at all. I pulled over and checked for codes, there were none. By this time I could barely keep it running. I shut it off and restarted it and it was fine. Man it's making me nuts. In a few days the other PCM will get here. My fingers are crossed that is the problem.

I took the PCM off of its mount, it was easy, two 10mm nuts and the other side has one of those allighnment pegs you line it up on. I put it on the floor and a guy I work with went out for lunch. Low and behold it went into one of its fits. The mechanic I work with was aware of the problem and checked the wires and plugs to it and taped it around just like I would have. It made no change at all. I pulled over and checked for codes, there were none. By this time I could barely keep it running. I shut it off and restarted it and it was fine. Man it's making me nuts. In a few days the other PCM will get here. My fingers are crossed that is the problem.

Try tapping the ECM when the car is running well. If the symptoms return, the ECM is most likely bad.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Yes I thought of that as well, unfortunately I can not get it to run bad by doing that. Most of the time the car will run about 15 or 25 miniuts before it acts up. Today with the heat and the car in the sun with only each window cracked an inch it may have had a head start on an over heating issue with the PCM being so hot inside. It only took less then 10 miniuts today for it to go nuts. I have not had my confirmation that the other PCM was shipped yet. I hope it goes out today.

It sure feels like it. I got to laugh, this has been some task. I do not think the guy shipped the PCM today. If I had got it from the place You and I delt with I know it would have gone out today. They wanted $100.00 for it so I figured I would go with the $25.00 one my parts guy found.

That PCM came out so easy Mike but you should see my right wrist. It looks like it got hit by a cheese grader. I can work all week on my normal equipment here in the shop but give me ten miniuts on my car and there will be blood. LOL It sure got warm today, my shop is at 81, wait till summer, it gets to be 95 and better all summer. Thats when I like jumping in the car for lunch and cooling off. Soon, Soon...

Like you said, it maybe not be a loose connection in the PCM it may be a component in the PCM that DEFLUBIATES when it gets hot.... I am keeping my fingers crossed.. Mike

All is good, I just got word it's being hand delivered to me at work on Thursday.( With Prom) Tot.of $29.41. Can't beet that... I better just check the number on prom and make sure they match. Hmm, I wonder if there was ever an updated prom put out by GM?? Maybe I should check with a guy I know at Brogan for some info on prom #s... The research never ends, right Mike ?

All is good, I just got word it's being hand delivered to me at work on Thursday.( With Prom) Tot.of $29.41.  Can't beet that...  I better just check the number on prom and make sure they match. Hmm, I wonder if there was ever an updated prom put out by GM??  Maybe I should check with a guy I know at Brogan for some info on prom #s... The research never ends, right Mike ?

You can't beat the price..... I know nothing about PROM'S except that I didn't go to mine... :lol:

Isnt the vehicles vital statistics contained in the PROM? IE gear ratios (ETC vs non-ETC, STS vs non-STS), mileage, etc? I would be apt to use my own PROM... Make sure you use a PROM remover so you don't damage it and be careful not to bend the pins...

Like you said, it maybe not be a loose connection in the PCM it may be a component in the PCM that DEFLUBIATES when it gets hot.... I am keeping my fingers crossed..  Mike

Matt, Scotty,

I give up. My Websters is out of date (new last week) ;) What in HEdoubletoothpicks does "DEFLUBIATES" mean? :lol:

:P Britt :P

Britt

Like you said, it maybe not be a loose connection in the PCM it may be a component in the PCM that DEFLUBIATES when it gets hot.... I am keeping my fingers crossed..  Mike

Matt, Scotty,

I give up. My Websters is out of date (new last week) ;) What in HEdoubletoothpicks does "DEFLUBIATES" mean?  :lol:

:P Britt :P

Deflubiates is a term that I learned in Sun Shipbuilding and Drydock, Chester, Pa in the early 70s from the old-timers.... Deflubiates means, its messed up, or its screwing up (Deflubiating)..., or it did work right (Deflubiated).... :lol:

In my first week, I was the GO-FOR, and they sent me to the tool room for

1) a Come-Along

2) an Old Man

3) a Chain Fall

3) a Henway

4) a Fastaris

5) a Greesan Earn

A come-along, chain fall and an Old Man are actual tools, the Henway and Fastaris and the other are jokes....

On my birthday, they rigged up a hose pointing at the turn-on location and the forman asked me to go turn on the hose, which he was holding in his hand (the fake one) and when I turned it on, I was soaked, all had a nice laugh on me!

Britt, whats a HENWAY?

Hey guys, Mike glad you explained it to Britt. LOL. Britt there are many terms that come out of the book of " it's messed up and I can't fix it". Well, the day is done and my car is now acting like a bad tooth. Once you make the dentyst appointment it stops hurting. She must know I have a new PCM on the way. I sure hope one of the mechanics at work has a prom puller. The ride home was fine. I even used the AC. I did a little checking to see if my system was working like I read it's supposed to work with the cooling fans. It did. At least that is working. The only thing different today about the fans was that they reved up good and fast today. All the other times I'v seen them on they were spinning very slow. This will be my first summer with my car. I did not know they were variable speed controlled, that is pretty cool. Mike have you ever seen the ship yard up in Main ? I used to go to Lake Demerscotta every summer for two weeks and I alwasy passed this great big Navy yard on the ride up. I wish I had this car then. Well dinner is ready and then I have a project on the car. I'v been cleaning the under carrage, it's in real good shape. No rust anyware, it's amazing. Tonight I'm going to do a little sprying of gloss black here and there. I'v got some under coating spray for other areas. It should look good when done. Catch ya all later, this should go easy.

Hey Scotty, Would you happen to have a PCM for a 1994 STS. I live on long island so I would pick it up - no shipping hassle for you. Please let me know. or call (516)987-7610 THANKS, CHRIS

Hey Scotty, Would you happen to have a PCM for a 1994 STS. I live on long island so I would pick it up - no shipping hassle for you.   Please let me know.   or call (516)987-7610     THANKS, CHRIS

Chris, I don't carry parts but you can call a friend of mine at Lakewood Auto Parts (Junk Yard) in Lindenhurst, NY 631-957-3200 ask for Scott, tell him you were referred by MIKE, the guy that just helped Matt in New Jersey with a 4.9 engine... He is a good guy, you will need the numbers off your PCM, figure to spend about $100, I see you are in Nassau County, so Lindenhurst shouldn't be so far. Good Luck, Mike

OK, my last job is all done,even the clean up. She looks real nice with all the new black under carrage. I even had time to realighn the rear muffler hangers so the exhaust ends are the exact same height under the rear bumper. Woooo, can't wait to see it in the sun Thursday. It's all boiling down to the end now. PCM / Tires / Flomaster Mufflers. I wish I did not use the word( boiling) I'm going now to post on the " coolent Temperature" topic. See ya ...

We all have experienced being broken in at a new job, especially when we first started working. Around aircraft, the newbie would be sent for a bucket of "Prop Wash" (Mike your dad would recognize that one). Greased door handles, blue dykem on door knobs, tool boxes and tools, water filled trash bags, coffee cups superglued to tables,lunch boxes screwed to the bench,,, The list goes on.

Britt ;)

Britt

We all have experienced being broken in at a new job, especially when we first started working. Around aircraft, the newbie would be sent for a bucket of "Prop Wash" (Mike your dad would recognize that one). Greased door handles, blue dykem on door knobs, tool boxes and tools, water filled trash bags, coffee cups superglued to tables,lunch boxes screwed to the bench,,, The list goes on.

Britt ;)

I am glad to see the initiation spans all fields! :lol:

Archived