CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

97 STS Before & After

ted tcb

:D Last month, I posted that my wife nudged my STS in the driveway.

It needed a new grille, bumper was crushed into the tires, lic holder, and emblem.

I found a grille at the wreckers, a plate holder from a parts company, a crest on ebay, and had a body shop pull out and align front and rear bumpers, and paint all the parts.

Cost was a very reasonable $500, parts and labour.

Tint was $180, and Cardio Doc found me these very nice polished chrome rims with center caps.

Here's the before ....

post-3-1114551916_thumb.jpg

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

After

post-3-1114551986_thumb.jpg

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Rear shot

post-3-1114552060_thumb.jpg

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

<_< Oops, here's the rear shot

post-3-1114552117_thumb.jpg

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Here's a pic before the damage, with the old OEM rims, no tint.

post-3-1114552338_thumb.jpg

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

:D Last month, I posted that my wife nudged my STS in the driveway.

It needed a new grille, bumper was crushed into the tires, lic holder, and emblem.

:o Hadn't heard about his Ted! What is it with wives and backing up?? My wife did that to one of my cars once. Backed up onto the hood of my Honda Accord with our GMC van! It wouldn't have been so bad, but she was the one who parked it there less than an hour beforehand!! :D

Guys have their turns too I guess. My buddy backed into a parking spot at work with his ol' Dodge Ramcharger and put it up on top of the hood of his bosses Lexus, who had already chosen that spot. Tim said it must have been the white car and the snowbanks that caused his ignorance! :rolleyes:

Anyway, the STS looks great. Nice job and you worked it out on a real reasonable budget! B)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I agree with Wille, that grilleless look makes her look mean. You get the right of way when your car looks like that! That must of been some "nudge." No bumper "kiss there. On this thread, speaking of bumper hits, why does the license plate holder on a 97 STS stick out farther than the bumper guards? Is this toatally goofy or what? The holder and license plate get whammed every time someone nudges up to you in a parking lot. I was thinking I could shape a new, smaller profile one with a router out of some of that plastic wood used for decking. Anybody try something similar? Does that stuff hold paint? etc.. The car looks great, have fun.

Thanks for lookin' at the pics ... people scratch their heads at my obsessive behaviour with my vehicles, so I was really frustrated with the damage setback ... actually, its pretty small stuff in the greater scheme of life.

My wife had to choices when she rammed into my car ... her LeSabre was either going to hit the STS or the Cutlass ... the Cutlass would've been murder to fix.

If you can believe it, I took this pic of the three cars just hours before she drove the Buick into the STS ... you can see it waiting to happen ......

post-3-1114574105_thumb.jpg

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

What year is the Cutlass? I learned to drive on a 1970 with a 250 6 cyl. Was a fun car with great memories.

She's a 1971, 350ci rocket ... you might've gotten into trouble with the V8 during your mispent youth ... LOL.

post-3-1114576252_thumb.jpg

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Ted Tcb: Nice STS. The tint is great. Maybe when my SLS grows up it can look just like that. :) Looks like you have some nice toys to drive. My wife has messed up a few of my cars. I don't let her drive my car too often. :) When she does drive one of the vehicles I try to move the others out of the way. :lol:

:D The tint job was $180 CDN, or $145 USD.

3 people worked on the car for 90 minutes .... they were very, very meticulous, and the results show.

It was their second darkest colour available .... I like all my windows to be the same degree ... if the fronts are lighter, it looks to me like an old, faded tint job.

Other, wiser individuals go for cleaner visibility .... I go for what looks the nicest.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Hey Ted, how much was the tint job?

The old tint on my Eldorado is starting to come loose around the edges. I got an estimate from a local tint shop of $100 to remove the old tint (side and rear windows) and another $200 to install new tint. Sevilles have a little more glass area so it they would probably cost a little more, but somewhere in that ball park.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

• 5 weeks later...

ted tcb,

Just be glad that the wife didn't have the Buick up even with the Olds, she could have Really got rolling with that much room. :o

Was she really in a hurry? You could understand if she was taking someone to the ER or some other emergency. Hopefully she wasn't going to the mall! <_<

What do you have her doing for penance? I would say two years of monthly detailing on your Caddy might just start to compensate! :P

After this I would tell her to park the Buick in the street! ;)

Glad you got your Caddy fixed. It looks great!

Britt

Britt

Britt,

No excuses for my wife's quick exit through my STS. She was rushing the kids to an afternoon movie, and I never park behind her. Her special penance is being married to me ... it takes immeasurable reserves of patience.

Graphite, nice, nice ride. I'm guessing a Buick GS, maybe 1972? I hope you get lots of time in it this summer.

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

Archived