CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacement cat converter

Has anyone replaced the OEM cat converter on their OBD1 N* car with an aftermarket product? My cat is really starting to let loose inside, rattling like crazy when I rev it up especially... :o It was pretty slight for a long time, kinda making it sound throaty, raspy, and even getting some positive comments at the stop lights and gas pumps. Now it just sounds crappy too me, taking away from that nice 32 valve rumble and Dynomax roar at WOT! :P

I checked into OEM thru gmpartsdirect.com and it is like $700! I found this one on Summits site, and wonder how good it is for $130...

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...%2D4516&FROM=MG

I do want to keep it legal, emissions wise, and don't really want it louder than it already is. I just want that sweet sound back, so I can make another video clip of it with my new digital camera!

Any suggestions or concerns? Thanks! ;)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

One more point, it wasn't any louder, from best I could tell. Mine was rattling as well, don't waste time replacing it, you don;t want to run the risk of clogging the unit as it is starting to break up,...that is feedback I got from people.

One more point, it wasn't any louder, from best I could tell. Mine was rattling as well, don't waste time replacing it, you don;t want to run the risk of clogging the unit as it is starting to break up,...that is feedback I got from people.

Thanks for your imput Willie. I agree, I don't want to wait too long, for fear that it will really let go on me and potentially plug up the exhaust. Do you know what brand the muffler shop put on yours? Acceleration increased... hmmm, I like the sound of that! B)

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Thanks for your imput Willie. I agree, I don't want to wait too long, for fear that it will really let go on me and potentially plug up the exhaust. Do you know what brand the muffler shop put on yours? Acceleration increased... hmmm, I like the sound of that! B)

It was a local guy, very reputable. I try to stay away from the "chain" shops.

You might want to check into a Walker cat/con, direct replacement. I got one for my "Utility Caprice" and it fit/works well. No adapters needed, bolt in replacement. It was smaller (Claimed Hi-Tech) but the tube ID and length were the same as an OEM unit. The OEM air tube bolted right up (No Adapter needed). I used a new OEM air tube (Dealer item) because the old one got hurt taking it off.

rek

I got my cat replaced after buying my car last year because the previous owner screwed into it to stop the honeycombs from rattling. This happened such a long time ago that the cat started to rumble again and the screws used were already rusting off. :lol: I will show some pics when I get my mufflers and meg's tips put on next week.

I got my cat replaced after buying my car last year because the previous owner screwed into it to stop the honeycombs from rattling.  This happened such a long time ago that the cat started to rumble again and the screws used were already rusting off. :lol:  I will show some pics when I get my mufflers and meg's tips put on next week.

Yes, some people will do the craziest things to "fix" cars, especially when they are going to sell them! :rolleyes: So what kind did you buy? Looking forward to the pics of your new exhaust! ;)

Rek, I did find a couple of places that are selling the Walker cats, about $130 also... Haven't even slid under mine to check out the detail (air pipe, etc.) as I am busy transplanting the new motor in the GP tonight... Thanks! :)

• 2 weeks later...
I got a Walker converter. I thought that the OEM price was ridiculous ,$645.93 from http://www.cadillac-parts-for-less.com. I had to take it for the emissions test and it passed on the second of two runs. This was before I changed my O2 sensors and cleaned out the cobbwebs.

Just getting back on this project... Remembered you are from Milw. area also chriskoc1. Where did you buy your Walker cat... locally or order it?

So what is with the air-tube thing they are showing on all these direct-fit replacements? Mine doesn't have anything sticking out the side like that. Is this for CA emissions systems? It looks like it is capped off if you don't use it...

Hey, did you get those mufflers and tips on yet? Lets see the pics if you have! B)

post-3-1113832256_thumb.jpg

Go to Midas...priced right with a lifetime warranty. dealer or "do it yourself" will not lifetime warranty. had mine done 1999 @ 94,000 in L.A. by Midas 'cause dealer recommended ...go there - good deal

now @ 211,000 miles in Chicago...no problems with Cat!

I am pretty sure its a hanger bracket

Hmmm... I guess that is possible, but there's no hanger like that on mine. The nearest one is a foot or so back from the cat if I remember right. I just assumed that was this "air-tube" thing that guys like REK are talking about.

So CaddyJohn, what did this replacement cost at Midas? Just curious... personally I enjoy trying to slide under an oily machine with a hack-saw getting rust in my eyes! :rolleyes:

That is one part of the replacement project that I am not looking forward to. The pipe is welded to the cat on the outlet, so that will obviously have to be cut off. I figured i would just cut/snap the bolts at the front flange of the cat and drop the whole exhaust system, pulling it out the back. Will obviously have to fire up the beast at this time to anounce the project to the neighbors!! ;):P

A mind is a terrible thing to waste or this is your brain on drugs, take your choice! :angry: This is no way to get help and information going forward. It gives me great pleasure to watch disrespectful people drown in the deep end of the pool!

Anyway, when I replaced my CAT, I cut the old one off at the rear making sure that I didnt take off too much and that the NEW CAT would fit and removed the two bolts in the front. I installed the front, and drove it to Midas and paid them $30 to weld it up.... I used an aftermarket CAT from NAPA, but this was on my 91 4.9 Seville, I thought I would post this for your information...

Yenko

You are sounding just like the person that was claiming to be Pat! :angry:

Chill

Britt

Britt

Anyway, when I replaced my CAT, I cut the old one off at the rear making sure that I didnt take off too much and that the NEW CAT would fit and removed the two bolts in the front. I installed the front, and drove it to Midas and paid them $30 to weld it up.... I used an aftermarket CAT from NAPA, but this was on my 91 4.9 Seville, I thought I would post this for your information...

Thanks for the reply Scotty, a legible response was definitely in order there! :rolleyes:

I'm not certain why everyone welds their exhaust systems. Is it just to assure a good seal? Are mfg. doing this to save cost? I haven't had too good of luck with a couple of my used cars there. The weld just ahead of my Dynomax muffler let loose here, and another welded joint on my Firebird also let go. I don't know the history on these installations, but the welds seem to be the areas that give into corrosion long before the rest of the pipe.

I guess i have always just relied on good quality HD clamps. The stainless ones that they make now last a good long time, and you can sometimes get the systems apart without destroying the ajoining pipe this way. Just my 2 cents... ;)

SG, the pipe on the side of the cat is where the "Air injector tube" is connected, IF your's came so equipted. It's NOT a hanger. If you do get under it, GOGGLES are much better than plain-open-sided glasses. I learned the hard way, rust imbedded in eye, the Doc GROUND the stain out with a small burr. Can you say OUCH? Safety First...

rek

If I recall, the rear of the CAT has to be welded. I had a problem with the fit of the CAT into the old pipe, they were to close in size if not exactly the same size. But again mine was aftermarket. I could not even get an adapter to work, so the easiest thing was to get it welded.. Mike

Thanks again guys, I ordered the one from Summit. I couldn't take that darn rattling anymore! :rolleyes:

SAFETY>>> I know what you mean REK. I don't work under the car without goggles anymore. I injured my right eye twice in the last 3 years. The gift of sight... It really makes you apreciate it when it is taken away from you for a while.

The first time I was shaking out a poly-tarp in the wind and the edge came back and scraped most of the cornea away from the surface of my eye. It never did heal right and I had to have it surgically scraped by an Optimologist so it would heal smooth! :blink: Man did that hurt for almost 2 days... Both times! :o

Then a year ago I got poked in the same eye by a twig while walking in the woods deer hunting. Fortunately I had contac lenses in or I would have really damaged it bad again. To make matters worse I had a fantastic opportunity at a nice buck but it took me to long to find him in the scope of my 30-30 Thomson Contender pistol with the left eye, and I blew the shot!! :angry:

Back on topic here... Looking forward to getting the cat on, I may end up doing the same as you did Scotty. I know those factory welded seams are pretty tight fitting!

Sorry for the late reply. I got mine ordered direct fit through advance auto here in milwaukee. It was $160, but came with a 5 year warranty. I touched up the welds with high temp rustoleum along with my new muffler welds.

I injured my right eye twice in the last 3 years.

Okay,..I got one for ya!

'Bout 25 years ago I was soldering some 6 x 9 speakers upside down in the trunk of a '73 Black Malibu Classic and solder dripped into my eye and melted in the lens. An eye doctor had to surgically drill it out. He said I was just shy of being permanently blinded, however, to this day, I see just fine.

Latest update on this project... With a wide-open Friday eve. schedule I attached this in full force, and the new cat is in! Boy does it sound nice. :) Everything went great, including clamping up the outlet pipe to the rest of the system. As Jim Carey would say, "Like a glove!" :P

Yes, I had to fire it up once I dropped the pipe... I just couldn't help myself! :P Is is just me, or is that music to anyone else's ears?! :rolleyes: I even took a video clip with sound of that just to save the memory!

Here are a few pictures of the process. The first one here is up on the ramps and stands, dropping the pipes. I couldn't believe how easy this was... 5-6 minutes, and it was down! :o

post-3-1114225376_thumb.jpg

Here is the exhaust system removed... Slides right out!

post-3-1114225704_thumb.jpg

Archived