CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Still Hesitating?!

STS Scott

Well, after having the wires replaced a few months ago the stuttering / hesitation / backfire issue was remedied.

Then just recently, it returned in the form of the plugs. The plugs must have been originals, for they had sparked so many times, there was barely anything left to spark from! They were replaced as well, last week, and everthing was ship shape again.

Both plugs and wires were AC Delco, or the good stuff in other words.

Now, within the last day, the same/similar hesitation is showing up again. Mainly when you are stoped, or at a low RPM, it will run roughly, and then hesitate a bit when it is time to "go" again. It even backfired on me once today when I was pulling awar from a stop sign.

So what gives? Could one of the plugs have been a lemon, or is the problem routed somewhere else? The distributor/coils maybe?

As Ron Burgundy would say "Caddyinfo Team! Assemble!" lol

What do you guys think this darn problem is?

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

When a coil goes the car usually hesitates on light acceleration at first. It will cruise down the road smooth as glass, but start up a small grade and it will start missing. Then as time goes by it gets worse until you are only running on 6 cylinders. Mine got so hot before it quit that it started smoking as it melted internally, I thought my car was on fire. I did the cylinder balance test to isolate the bad coil, but I think you can not do that test in the newer cars. You can just pick up a new coil and start switching them out until you find the right one. Coils are about $40-50. Swapping them out is easy, take your wires off, making sure you remember which one goes where, and take out the 2 screws holding them down, unplug it from the base and plug another one in, screw it down and plug the wires into it. There is a 1 in 4 chance you will get the right one.

Archived