CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

bars leak

johnnydone

went to walmart bought dexcool they did not have bars leak gold or tablets but what they did have was bars leak in a red painted container i would imagine its the original bars leak with pellets it says its for aluminum engines i bought a bottle because i was there can i use :unsure: it ?all yhis discussion about bars leak and pellets has me totally confused :blink:

I have a question on this too.

Why is it recommended for Northstars (with labels on the radiator and everything) but on my 3.5L Shortstar there is no mention (in the owners manual or anywhere else) that these should be used??

If I recall correctly my 4.5L Allante called for the pellets too... Is something "extra" that GM recommends for Caddies?

caddy.jpg

Easin' down the highway in a new Cadillac,

I had a fine fox in front, I had three more in the back

ZZTOP, I'm Bad I'm Nationwide

Greg

thanks for the link and advice but what is the difference i can get the tablets at a local auto partsstore

Thanks Guru, this type of detail helps me to understand the how's and why's of this engine. I have come to realize that this engine is complex, intelligent and it must have been a total departure from the status quo when it was designed. It stuns me in new ways every day. I can't wait till it the weather gets better (and a little more cash comes in), I have a garage FULL of parts and a list of PM that I am going to undertake, its very exciting. Is there any publication or research source that I can kind of 'study' the NS that is informational and that provides a chronoligical development time-line from start to the current time? I can see that from its introduction till now that this engine has evolved greatly.

As a kid, the development process to me from 331/250, 365/285, 390/345, 429/340, 472/375 was something I experienced as we had one of each these engines, my favorite was the 429 as we had two of them. The NS seems to become more refined over time, I am looking forward to the ride like as I did as kid. Mike

Guru,

While we are on the subject of the pellets, what is the normal interval before the pellets need to be installed again? Will they last for the life of the DexCool? Or should they be added more often? How about in green antifreeze?

Thanks

Britt

Britt

How can i tell if my car had the pellets added.?.would it show on the invoice?

i thought at first this was only for diesel cars, but now i think it must be for

all northstars...am i right, how can i tell if i have them or not..would a dealer

not put this in, when he installed a new engine..thanks

Archived