CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

94 sts passive strut #'s

design61

I just replaced the struts, shocks, springs, roll bar links and strut rod (radius rod)isolators on my 94 STS, here is the break down of cost and part numbers!

these are NAPA sensatrak:

71854 189.00 for both (f)

71801 210.88 for both (r, air)

261-3192 47.54 (for 2) r strut mount

261-3135 124.88 (for 2) front strut mounts)

265-2213 99.98 2 sway bar links

From GM are the strut rod isolators

22530936 and 22528801 18.73 per side

from Eibach-springs

5.81280K 240.00 (I got a dealer discount through a friend)

total 949.74

I have the tools and shop to replace all this myself, but I thought I would let you know so you can save a few bucks! I will update as I am going to follow the posted directions on getting the src message to not show up. I kept the air shocks on the back as I regularly take this car on vacation with my kids, it gets loaded up real bad. My car is a 94 STS, loaded and z package with 152 k miles on it(I got this car new when my grandmother passed away, just after buying it). I also just had the CD player fixed at speckmo in michigan for $200. I hope ai save a few of you some cash!

It rides better than new, corners much better and is comfortable when loaded with passengers/luggage. This has been a great car, it's had some small issues, mostly with the moon roof.

That has been my problem, putting my family and luggage in the car it wants to hit the pavement. Do you think you needed to replace the springs? I have been told that the struts are 95% of the problem.... Did you replace the strut mounts? Thanks, Mike

I just bought:

Boston Suspension struts front and rear

Strut rod bushings

Stabilizer bar bushings front and rear

ball joint (1)

Front strut mounts

LF hub bearing

I did replace the strut mounts ( their cost is listed), didn't want to have to go back later. By keeping the air shocks in the rear I don't have a problem with bottoming out. I do have a problem with the small trunk getting full of ladies luggage ( I have 3 girls). But I always give tham the choice of riding in the karmann ghia! sSnce I got this car new I have the sales brochures, owners manual, service book, pen, note pad, "credit card key", unopened seville owners video and all the paper work for everything I've done. The most annoying is that the moon roof has a mind of it's own and opend up in a car wash once. I haven't been able to track this problem down and just cut the wire so it won't open at all. I have put on one starter, one alternator and two air conditioning compressors, replaced the shift solinoids (at 76K, no problems since) The kids call it the princess car. because its black with tinted windows. I blacked out the chrome trim all the way around the car and put aftermarket wheels on it, which are much heavier than the originals. The originals corroded quite badly arount the lip and always leaked. I never had a problem with the led third stop lamp, but the glass headlights always seem to attract large rocks, so I have replaced them 3 times. Once in awhile the drivers side rear door wont close properly. I also have a whining problem seeming to come from the fuel tank, this started after hitting a large piece of truck tire at 100mph,( in the middle of nowhere kentucky) which tore open the fuel tank (on the bottom of course) after replacing the tank with a used one (60 dollars at go go's auto parts in grand rapids michigan) and cleaning the fuel pump up it has whined. The Cd player quit once and both inner tailights on the trunk seem to attract shopping carts, the last one cost me 75$ used. The car has allways been garaged so the leather is great, paint well used from all the traveling. But I wouldn't trade it for anything, my wife allways tells me I should get a new one, I don't know if she means another one like it or a new STS. Neither of which is a bad thing.

THE MOON ROOF PROBLEM IS PRBABLY THE SWITCH sounds like same problem i had the sun roof people do it charged me 50 for switch

I wil try that again, for some reason lost to me now, I replaced the switch witha BMW one. I forgot to add that I do think that replacing the springs is a good idea if you can, the car rides much better than new now.

Oh I missed the strut mounts. I probably will replace the springs with OEM, Eibach does not make springs for my car. Like you said, I might as well do this while I am there!

• 4 weeks later...

More Questions

Front Struts

Monroe Sturt 71854 do not have an anti-sway mount mount.

I notice that your part listing has 265-2213 99.98 2 sway bar links

Are these links additions to the struts to mount the anti-sway bar?

If not, how did you connect the anti-sway bar to the struts?

===============

Why did you choose 71854 struts rather than 71822. Both these are specified my Manore for Seville 1991 - 1993? (see Manore special applications Seville Electronic to Passive struts. Manore does not have a strut for the 1994 Seville)

Vince P

Archived