CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Chrome Trim

Cupillac

Well we were looking over my car today, I decided to replace the chrome strips the run on the rocker panels on my sts. all of them.

The chrome has come off in some spots, so I thought new ones would help bring out the paintjob.

Is this stripping available on gmpartsdirect.com? any other sources?

Thanks

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

I have the same problem here. Mine is faded yellow. I was told by a friend in the parts dept. that the way to replace it was by replacing the each lower panel all the way around the car. I have the same problem and am considering having it sprayed when I do the whole car. I went to the detail suppliers shop yesterday and the lady said that they do have chrome pinstriping but it may not stick that long because youre putting it on top of rubber or whatever the material is. If you were sticking it on top of paint it would stick forever. I think it might look ok being painted over. I mean, if you look at some of the newer models, they dont have that chrome going around them. You could do the chrome pinstripes though. It comes in 1/2 inch and you have to cut it. I bet it would look good though. Its still an option I am thinking about. The other size was too small. Hope this helps. If you want their number it's: P&S Sales of SF. 415-861-0224.

Its true. To obtain the STS door chrome....they want you to buy each door lower panel. The panels do come painted based on the color of the car.

What is available from Cadillac...is the rear bumper chrome trim. It comes in a roll with enough to do about 3 of the doors..

I am also tryin to figure out where i can get this! I might phone the dealer monday and see what they tell me! It looks like its molded right into the doors!

user posted image

Defending Northstar perf a qtr mile at a time!!!!

Hey, while were on the subject, what do you guys think about me painting that trim when I paint the whole ride? I think it may look ok. All black!!!! You probably wont even be able to tell it was ever chrome unless youre one of us.

Well I really do love the Chrome stripping, painting it is not an option.

Logan, would it not be possible to just buy a few rolls of this, then replace all the chrome stripping on the car?

-W.Kingdon

Thats the whole idea. The rear bumper chrome trim IS available. Comes in a 5-6 ft roll.

Thats the whole idea. The rear bumper chrome trim IS available. Comes in a 5-6 ft roll.

Where do you get this? Is it just for the bumper or can you buy enough to go all the way around the car? Is it made out of metal or is it plastic? How much does it cost?

user posted image

Its soft plastic on a roll. But its a perfect match. It is a Cadillac part. Its simply the replacement chrome for the back bumper. There are 2 different versions so you need to watch that. One is about $60....the other is about $90.

Ok, so it's chromed plastic. So does that mean the old piece comes out and it can be replaced or does the chromed plastic stick right on top and stay a little bit raised? Which out of the two versions do we use and do you have the part number? Have you actually done it or just heard from someone else who has done it? How's it look when it's done?

Ok, so it's chromed plastic. So does that mean the old piece comes out and it can be replaced or does the chromed plastic stick right on top and stay a little bit raised?

I believe the old strip would come out, and the you would replace with the new one.

-W.Kingdon

I tryed to find someone that did it themself a while ago but had no luck! I figure there must be someone though!

user posted image

Its simply the rear bumper replacement chrome strip...dealer can find it?

I have the part # somewhere here. Sent a roll to Europe.

Its pretty bad when the kids at the part counter cannot find a rear bumper trim part.

Maybe it has been discontinued....

So what do you guys think of just painting over it the same color as the car? Do you think it will look ok or will it look best left chrome?

Me personally, the chrome stripping really makes the car stand out.

If it were painted the same colour as the car in would look quite blah.

Now if it were painted black with a black car, that would be a little more appealing.

-W.Kingdon

Thats exactly what I got dude. A black on black 93 STS. Thats why I'm having a tough decision. If you look at the 98's and newer, they've eliminated that piece and it's smooth. I believe either will look cool but think painting it would last longer than chrome pinstriping it. Although, who knows? The chrome pinstriped may last eventhough its on top of some sort of rubber or whatever it is. The lady in the detail shop said that they are permenant when on top of paint for whatever thats worth. I still think the painting it black may look cool though.

Archived