CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Cannot find water leak!!

Hubby has a 91 Eldorado, V8 that is leaking coolant even as we re-fill. Cannot pinpoint where the leakage is. Can find it dripping down the water pump inlet. It is not leaking out of the water pump weap hole. Any clue where to look for the source? My father has worked on cars his whole life and we cannot find the source. Please help!

Taking into account the age of the car you have got cracks in the side plastic tanks of the radiator. Yes, they are plastic. Look carefully for the traces of dried antifreeze on the upper inner side of the tanks (Between the tank and say, grill). The most vulnerable area is beneath the upper radiator hose. The cracks are narrow but will open up when engine gets hot and the coolant will get out while you are moving. I have replaced both tanks with OEM part and radiator looks like new.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

The radiator is not leaking, the leak we see is coming down the water pump inlet, then down the lower hose. We replaced the hose, but obviously that was not the problem. It must be coming from above the inlet, but with restricted view, we cannot see where it is beginning. Any suggestions on where to start from there? Thanks for your reply.

The radiator is not leaking, the leak we see is coming down the water pump inlet, then down the lower hose. We replaced the hose, but obviously that was not the problem. It must be coming from above the inlet, but with restricted view, we cannot see where it is beginning. Any suggestions on where to start from there? Thanks for your reply.
Well, I see. I would start the engine, open the hood and manually increse thr RPM till say 3000. the icreased pressure will make the leak more visible and you hopefully find it. Hose clamps, I do not have other suggestions. Check them ALL out including ones by the heater core and heater valve ("T").

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

idmitchell,

If your engine is a 4.9 or 4.5, I would look very carefully at the intake manifold where the water crossover is located. This is a weak area and the water protion of the gasket is prone to failure. On mine, it failed internally and dumped antifreeze into the oil. I would take the oil filler cap off to check if there is a lot of white milky crud visible on the inside of the cap and down around the rocker arms. If so, antifreeze has gotten into your oil. Then be prepared to $pend $ome money. If your are lucky It will not have leaked into the engine's oil. But a manifold gasket change at least is probably in your future.

There may be other sources for the leak, but I think that this is the most likely area to look. You may need a small mirror to look under the alternator, etc.

Good Luck,

Britt

Britt

Just wanted to let yall know we found the leak. After taking off the radiator, fan, exhaust manifold, and other assorted parts we were able to see the leak. It was a small BB size hole on the underside of the water pump inlet. With the help of JBWeld, small piece of hose, and another clamp the leak is no more! Thanks to all for your input.

Thats an odd leak to get it sounds like your water pump housing rusted through, normally your water pump would go bad before it rusted through unless this was a rebuilt pump and it was thin to begin with.

You should change your coolant if you have not recently done so. Make sure you use the cooling supplement, you should see a notice on your shock tower. If not do a search for cooling supplement, Mike

post-3-1110853734_thumb.jpg

Archived