CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

K&N Filter

seabass

Does anyone know where I can buy a K&N filter for my 93 STS Northstar 4.6 ? Seems that all the places I've searched have only for the 4.9 engine ?

SEABASS

93 STS

Why would you want to use a K&N filter? It is NOT going to improve performance or gas mileage.

Not only will it not help, it may actually hurt the life expectancy of the engine. It is not the most efficient at removing small abrasive particles from the intake stream. The manufacturer makes claims to the contrary, of course, but I read an internet article about some testing that was done to see how much abrasives got by the filter, it was not the best. I had one in my '99 and would GIVE it to you if it would fit. The performance gains were very very small if any, and the risk of wearing out my engine faster was not a gamble that I was willing to take. If you want to read about air filtration, go to this site. There is a section on air filters.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Does anyone know where I can buy a K&N filter for my 93 STS Northstar 4.6 ? Seems that all the places I've searched have only for the 4.9 engine ?

SEABASS

93 STS

Why would you want to use a K&N filter? It is NOT going to improve performance or gas mileage.

But it will out last the old paper filter 20Xs over!

I am NOT a big fan of the K&N filter line at all. OUTLAST paper?, that does not impress me. What I am impressed with is a filter that WILL filter out the all of the dust and dirt, and I do not think that the K&N filters will do that adequately. Hell you might as well take out the filter altogether and throw it away... Filters that DO NOT stop dirt, grit and grime contribute to cylinder and ring wear. I would never use them... Not only that, for the price of ONE K&N filter, I can buy HOW many paper filters? The last K&N filter I looked at was like $50, come on, we have proved here that the K&N filter does NOT add any performance.. Just keep your stock paper filter clean and you are fine.

SEABASS

93 STS

But it will out last the old paper filter 20Xs over!

It will also pass 20X more dirt through your engine. It's over priced hype with no gains but it's your money.

I wanted to do the same on mine but someone said it wont help unless youre prepared to make a bunch of modifications to your car. Whatever that means......

Generally... it's believed that the performance benefits are not really noticed until the exhuast is opened up a bit. I think that it what they were referring to. As said above... K&N is hype.

I went back to stock after 2 months with K&N... I widened the exhaust to 2.5" from the Y-split and am running DynoMax super turbo mufflers. It seemed that the setup was just too high flow and at times the engine couldn't fully pressurize on start and would fail.

Last summer, I did an extensive test between a K&N, FRAM Paper filter, and regular STP paper filter. I chose a route that I could drive at variable speeds (highway, and backroads) repeatedly, and then experimented with each filter. I first installed the STP filter. I got onto the highway, brought it up to 80mph, and got off the first exit, and drove at an average speed of 40mph back home. I then installed the K&N filter, got on the highway, brought it up to 80mph, ot off at the same exit, and averaged 40mph back home. I then repeated this with the FRAM paper filter. I tested each filter identically 3 times in the period of one day, with 30 minutes between each cylce of tests. The car was fully warmed up each time I tested each filter, and it was about 70 or so degrees outside that day. What I discovered was that the car seemed to have more low end torque, and pull harder on the highway and back roads with the paper filters. The K&N however, seemed to prevent the car from revving as fast, and therefore produce less acceleration. I got the same results, all three times I tested each filter. The next day, I pack up the K&N filter, drove back to Autozone, and returned it. I had decided to keep the FRAM filter in the car, and kept the STP as a spare for the next time it would need changing.

I should also mention that at the time, I did have the Corsa exhaust installed on the

car.

In short, the K&N is absolutely worthless (especially in a Northstar). As long as your paper filter is clean, your fine. You'll never find anything better, unless you heavily modify the airbox, which in most cases has still not produced a worthwhile gain in performance.

I had a K&N filter on mine and lost some mpg. It "seemed" to give a better pull way up high (but that was probably placebo effect), and it also "seemed" to be more sluggish where I always drive (lower rpms), and throttle response was definitely not as crisp. As mentioned above, I'll GIVE you my K&N (cone) filter if you want it. I had it on the car for about 500 miles before I took it back off and put a real filter on.

Oh yeah, you can read about mine here:

http://www.jnjhome.net/cadillac/filter.htm

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

What I always thought was interesting about K$N filters was their claim. How it would ulitize the dirt that it caught to provide even better filtration. Mmmm ok so what you're saying is that the filter needs to catch some "larger" dirt particles so it can in turn catch the smaller particles? Meanwhile the smaller particles slip right on through until a medium is created to stop this effect? And I paid for this? Yeah I like others went back to the paper. You can have my K$N too. Just pay the shipping cost.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

I had a K&N filter on two of my cars and an AirAid system on one of them.

94 TransAm-(K&N)could not notice much diffference. Some top end improvement.

00 Escalade-AirAid system-overall, more power and more noise at WOT. I think this was worth the money spent.

02 DTS-(K&N)no difference, removed it last week-it's in the trash.

Also, remember when talking price over the years that you need to purchase the cleaning kit, which is expensive.

Also, remember when talking price over the years that you need to purchase the cleaning kit, which is expensive.

Great point. In most cases, the cleaning kit is as expensive as even an AC-Delco paper filter from the dealer! In addition, as Bbobynski has said before, air fitlers last so much longer than Jiffy Lube and related joints will tell you. They say to change every year to "keep your car running its best." Yeah, just like changing the oil every 3000 miles, right? :) You should only have to tap your paper filter clean of loose debris every 6 months or so, and it'll last for years and years.

I use AC when I can find it, its not easy to find, but when that is not possible, I look for a good quality, I think its that it is clean that is more important.

If you go to JohnnyG's link there is much discussion under the air filters topic

the STP filter from autozone, which is the same quality as an FRAM or AC Delco filter, is about $8.00. I had one in my car for a while, and noticed no ill effects on the car. It's worked just as good as the FRAM, or AC Delco. At only about $8.00, it was worth it too. I think the FRAM was about $10.00 though, so it might be worth it just to buy one of them instead.

I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the cost of the AC filter, from a Cadillac dealership. I bought a new one last October, for all of 9 dollars.

Only $9.00? Hmmm...maybe I should make them just sell me the filter instead of them always trying to install it for me. I guess that's why I thought it was more expensive. I'll have to ask thedealer that next time I'm there, if I can just buy the filter from them. Sounds like a good price to me. ;)

I just saw this about filtration and K&N filters, just as I suspected

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm

Exerpts from the above mentioned link at bobistheoilguy:

"For the record, the K&N was the best flowing filter. Of the 3 types of media tested, the cotton gauze type filters flow best. There are other brands besides K&N for sale, of which most are probably made by K&N for resellers. Foam air filters flowed marginally better than paper".

"That said, both the cotton gauze type (K&N) and foam filters (Amsoil & Jackson Racing) showed the same levels of filtration. Both performed poorly compared to the fiberous or paper filters (Napa, Baldwin, and Mazda)".

For me that ends the discussion, who wants to allow dirt and grit into your upper intake system to damage rings, pistons skirts and wear cylinders. Not to mention whether by blow-by this dirt will foul your oil and get into your oil circuit and bearings. For me 275/300 horsepower out of 279 cu. in. is adequate and pretty impressive at that..should I risk engine wear to get 5 more HP and a little more noise? My neck snaps on WOT already... :lol:

For me 275/300 horsepower out of 279 cu. in. is adequate and pretty impressive at that..should I risk engine wear to get 5 more HP and a little more noise? My neck snaps on WOT already... :lol:

And the point usually made here is, it doesn't really matter what the relative flow rates are between two different filters. Who cares if the K&N filter can flow 200% of what a paper filter does. If the paper filter provides 100% of the air needs of the engine (and it does in this case), then it doesn't really matter how much "more" a K&N filter can flow. It's like installing a 24" water main straight to your house. So what if it can flow over 2000 gallons per minute? Hey guess what...all the faucets in your house combined couldn't flow that in an hour, much less a minute, so your gains are zero.

I think, after sorting through MOST of the independent, home brew type testing, that the Baldwin is the best at max flow and max filtration. If I were to rank them, each would be "best" based on different criteria. Here's what I think the lineup would look like for me.

Baldwin - Best combination of flow and filtration

AC Delco - Close behind Baldwin for flow, almost identical filtration, OE spec.

Fram - Good filtration, good flow, Outstanding price and availability

The list goes on.. everybody will pick their own favorites, and not one person will make a mistake on his choice. If you get into it REAL deep, remember to count the pleats and calculate the surface area.

I put in the Fram last week.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

Archived