CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Coolant Sealant/Bar's Leak question

cetheri

Do the coolant supplement pellets or Bar's Leak gold absolutely have to be installed in the lower radiator hose, or will it be equally effective if added to the upper hose?

It is preferable to put them in the lower hose as they are more likely to be ground up by the water pump and distributed w.out gunking up the rad. However, if you crush them up really well, you can get away with it.

• 4 weeks later...

I am fixing up a '96 seville sts that was hit in the front. I replaced the radiator and coolant(obviously). What "pellets" are you refering to? Should I drain my system and put these pellets in the lower hose?

Thanks,

George Williamson :huh:

Bars Leak Gold......get at any part store...book calls for the lower hose, but I agree with Larry.....they crumple real quick ....I've done it thru top hose...

Russ

Great picture, please all reference to that post regarding the pellets. If you use the pellets, the lower hose is a must. But the powder, the exact kind in the picture, can be used in either hose. If you get a dealer that thinks you are crazy when you mention pellets, steer away from them unless they mention the powder pictured. They only have $$$ in their eyes if they tell you otherwise. The powder pictured is sufficient enough in the top hose, once a year.

Archived