CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Tranny Funny when cold/All Better!

droger03

Well, I put in my new pump assembly and changed the upper valve body and the tranny is shifting as if it were new again. The whine noise coming from the transmission is gone too. The job took me only 5 hours with a set of jack stands and 2 $14 2 ton jacks from Meijer. I have probably be come a pro at dropping the northstar cradles in a home garage since this is probably the 10th time I have done it. Thank to everyone who helped, especially Scotty for saving me $2,000

Well, I put in my new pump assembly and changed the upper valve body and the tranny is shifting as if it were new again. The whine noise coming from the transmission is gone too. The job took me only 5 hours with a set of jack stands and 2 $14 2 ton jacks from Meijer. I have probably be come a pro at dropping the northstar cradles in a home garage since this is probably the 10th time I have done it. Thank to everyone who helped, especially Scotty for saving me $2,000

Man I am really impressed! Did you find anything wrong with the old pump? I wish I could have hung out with you to see how you dropped the cradle! Glad you got it fixed, thanks for the experience! :) Great job, Mike

As I was going to sleep last night, the whine diagnosis in the manual was right on regarding your whine that if is varies with rpm its, pressure related.... Did you take any pictures when you had the carriage down, or body up, I would love to see that,

The thing that I don't understand however is why when its cold? I wonder if this is related to what bbobynski was saying that the viscosity of the fluid is heavier requiring a stronger pump and thereby exposing the pumps weakness at that point

Thanks, Mike

I didn't get to take any pictures this time. I will the next time though as I need a new rack and pinion. I just don't have the money to replace it yet. I think the pump problem did have something to do with the viscosity of the fluid when cold though. Cause she shifted fine when cold, It was only when It got hot that things started to go south. By the way, It's not hard to drop the cradle from the car to access things that are near impossible to get to. The hard part is putting it back, especially if you are doing it by yourself. The holes are a pain to line up. I did my rack and pinion on my old 94 STS and you don't have to remove but the vback four bolts completely and loosen the front 2 bolts to gain access to it. But in order for the tranny side pan to clear the inner fender well, I had to remove all six bolts and drop it nearly 10-12 inches! It probably would have been a little easier if I had some better jacks. But like I said, all I had were 2 $14 2 ton jack from autozone, and 2 factory spare tire scew jacks.

Are you raising the body or lowering the carriage. How are you supporting the body high enough to drop the carriage to gain sufficient clearance to work? If you have pictures from the last time I'd love to see one, Mike

Archived