CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Alternator Removal

Mr. Balls,

I would check the wiring harness to the alternator first to see if there is anything is chafeing. If you move the wires around and the code dosen't reset then you could just have a wire going to ground.

Removing the alternator is a little harder.

You will need to disconnect the battery, put the front of the car on stands & remove the right front wheel and the serpentine belt. Remove the plastic splash pan that bolts to the cradle Then there is a small plate held on with four bolts on the bottom of the radiator support. (Under the right front of the car just below the alternator. I believe there are four bolts, twp on the right (front) of the alternator and two on the left (rear). The one on the back of the alternator next to the manifold is the worst on to get a wrench on. Also you can't remove that bolt completely, as the manifold traps it. Some of the bolts can be gotten from below & others through the right wheel well. The book says to remove the aircleaner and both fans. I don't recall pulling the aircleaner, but getting the fans out of the way helped. There is a plug with a quick disconnect and the main power wire that hooks to the output stud. The alternator will come out from the bottom through the hole that was covered by the plate that you removed earlier.

NOTE: after removing the fans, cut a 12" by 12" piece of 1/8 inch plywood or cardboard and place next to the radiator. This protects your knuckles and the radiator. :P

When you reinstall the alternator, be sure to get all the bolts started before you tighten any of them. That one that is trapped by the exhaust manifold can be a BEAR! :(

If you take your time (you will need it) ;) this job can be done in two to four hours. Since it is such a bear to remove & reinstall, I would get a high quality rebuilt unit. Some of the discount auto houses have cheaper units with a "Lifetime" :ph34r: warranty. But the difficulty in replacing it outweighs any saving that the discounters can offer.

Good Luck & Merrry Christmas

Britt

Britt

To remove the alternator:

1) Remove serpentine belt;

2) You will need to raise the car; engage the parking brake and block the back wheels;

3) Remove the screws holding the electric engine compartment fan and carefully lift it and move it to the left side (driver side) in order to make enough room to drop the alternator under the engine;

4) The alternator has two bracket bolts and an upper and lower mounting bolt. The bracket bolts are removed with a 13mm (to my recollection) combination wrench; it's best to use a short combo wrench because there is little room to maneuver a regular size wrench due to the exhaust pipe and heat shield;

Below is a link discussing how to replace the bracket bolts once they are removed:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3830&hl

Be careful not to damage the radiator when dropping the alternator under the engine. A piece of cardboard mounted with duct tape will help protect the radiator.

The job is not the easiest job as it takes patience and some mechanical talent to work with the bracket bolts.

OOps,

I forgot to mention that you might need to remove some oil and or trans cooler lines. If you have to, make sure that you don't loose the "O" rings that are on the end of these lines. they are easily knocked off & lost. If you don't notice that they are gone, then you will be informed of the loss as soon as you start the engine! <_<

Good Luck

Britt

Britt

Actually the Easiest and quickest way to "REMOVE" it would be with a 1/4 lb. of C-4 and a 30 second delay cap. (to enable you to get away) :D

But, it would be a little difficult to ge it remounted after that. :lol:

NOT recommended, but there was a time that I would have thought seriously about it. ;) (About a week after I had replaced it and it went south again.) The parts guy says "What are you pi$$ed about, it is under warranty! :huh:

Make sure that you check all the idlers and the belt while it is off.

Good Luck

Britt

Britt

It's a royal pain in the butt to replace the alternernator. If your

concerned about shorting something out I recommend disconnecting

the battery before starting the job. If anyone knows the engineer that

that designed the placement of that alternator I'd like to meet him

so I can kick him in the teeth. What happened to the good old days

where an alternator can be replaced in 10 minutes without chaffing

your hands to pieces?

Archived