CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Help needed with DTC code?

I have a 2000 DTS that is showing a service suspension system indicator. I have found the DTC code RSS C0579 listed as current. I understand this code meaning is left front solenoid but I am not sure what this means and whether I should be driving the car. The car is running well and handling the same as it always has. I was out of town for a few days and driving on some gravel/rough roads and am not sure if this is related to the problem or not as the indicator to service the suspension system came on right after. Any help would be appreciated!

The car is safe to drive with that error message.

Here is a description of your code:

The LF damper actuator is controlled by the Electronic Suspension Control Module with a Pulse-Width Modulation (PWM) signal. Battery voltage is modulated (switched on and off) at a high frequency (2.0 kHz) by opening and closing the actuator circuit in the Electronic Suspension Control Module. By controlling the amount of current to the actuator, the Electronic Suspension Control Module can then control the damping force in the damper. A higher level of damping force is achieved by providing correspondingly higher current levels, relating to higher percentages of PWM duty cycle.

The default damper state (no battery voltage) is one that provides a minimum damping force.

Conditions for Running the DTC

• The ignition is on.

• The fault is detected during three consecutive ignition cycles, or during the same igntion cycle after clearing the DTC using the scan tool.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The DTC is set when the Electronic Suspension Control Module measures a feedback voltage between two preset values during two consecutive OFF-state damper diagnostic test procedures.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

• The LF damper actuator will be disabled by commanding 0 percent PWM duty cycle (damper control switch open).

• The LF damper will be soft.

• The SERVICE RIDE CONTROL message will be displayed.

Thank you for the explanation of the error code. I am assuming that if the damper is soft the struts would be affected? Does this indicate that I would need to replace the struts or just the sensor being affected? I am not sure how to proceed with this or if I require dealership servicing to correct the issue. I have not noticed any change in the shocks (no extra bounce or loss of drive control) and the car only has 100000 km (approx. 62000 miles). Thanks again!

It's probably just a connector pulled off or loose. Failing that, check the wiring harness between the connector and wherever it goes into something that protects the wiring well.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You will need to go under the car to find that connector. It's a two-wire connector (LT GRN and RED/BLK wires) on the lower part of the left front strut below the spring. See the connector at the bottom of the left front strut, labeled 5 in the figure.

200x_Deville_RSS.png

LEGEND

1. Left rear shock absorber

2. Left rear position sensor

3. Electronic suspension control (ESC) module

4. Left front position sensor

5. Left front strut

6. Right front strut

7. Right front position sensor

8. Right rear position sensor

9. Right rear shock absorber

10. Automatic level control (ALC) air compressor module

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Wow! Thank you so much for the awesome schematics and all the information. I inherited my caddy and want to make sure I take care of it the best I can so I was going to head to the dealership for servicing but you guys have probably saved me a bundle!! Can't thank you enough and I'll let you know how I make out!!

:)

Come back after it's fixed and you will get the Blues Brothers!

Archived