CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

95 Eldorado - Can't remove key, switch won't turn to off

BodybyFisher

The key acts like the console selector is not in PARK on this 95 Eldo. The key turns to a point where the dash lights go off, but won't turn the remainder of the way to LOCK/OFF so that the key can be removed.

I tried pushing the selector into PARK harder

Giggled the key switch to death

I tried turning the steering wheel, it is free and does not go into the locked position

Tried tilting the wheel up and down

I don't think that this year has an ignition lockout activated by the brake

Anyone know what could cause this? I have a 94 manual and there isnt a lot of info, the ignition switch appears to be down by the brake pedal and there is an actuator rod.

Can this just be that the cable between the console shifter and the key or switch is out of adjustment and the switch or key thinks that the car is NOT in PARK?

Thanks for any ideas

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

That has to be whats going on... I think cable probably stretched or something snapped in that connection between the shifter and the key-switch.

I noticed on my 06 Saab 97x recently that mine is borderline also. There is a ridiculously placed cup holder right in front of the shifter. If the shift lever even touches the cup it will not quite be forward enough to remove the key, just as you described. I think you're going to need to get to the connection under the console and see if there is adjustment there.

It does shift into all the other gears correctly though? I once had a shifter cable stretch on my 98 Tahoe that all of the sudden didn't want to shift into the proper gear selected... Adjusted it down on the connection down by the trans and the cable ended up snapping about 2 months later...

Good luck! ;)

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Hey thanks spruce, I need to look at the manual a little closer, I think there is a cable the only deals with the ignition key and steering wheel lock feature, that may be out of adjustment. thanks for your input, Mike

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I agree also. the park position is not fully engaging at the shift lever. easier to repair than having a column shift model

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

There is a park lock cable attached to the shifter. That model has a console shifter so you should be able to access the cable by removing the shift knob and the bezel. Note, the "staple" that holds the shift knob on needs to be installed with the crown side up.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Thats great guys, I actually removed the shift knob 'staple' last week because the owner wants to recover it as its badly worn. Thanks Kevin for the info on that staple, I did not know that. I will probably get into this today and report back what happens, thanks

That kind of detail body maintenance information can be a lifesaver. Now, if anyone can tell me how to the the inside rear-view mirror off of my 1997 ETC, I would be eternally grateful. The hole in the bottom of the plastic cover leads to a blank steel surface rather than a screw, and I can't find a way to pop off the plastic cover without risking breaking it. The flake that changed my windshield either left the clamp screw loose or threw it away and I really don't like a loose rear-view mirror.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

That kind of detail body maintenance information can be a lifesaver. Now, if anyone can tell me how to the the inside rear-view mirror off of my 1997 ETC, I would be eternally grateful. The hole in the bottom of the plastic cover leads to a blank steel surface rather than a screw, and I can't find a way to pop off the plastic cover without risking breaking it. The flake that changed my windshield either left the clamp screw loose or threw it away and I really don't like a loose rear-view mirror.

If I recall correctly, there is a spring steel part that snaps on to the metal piece that is glued to the windshield. I think the hole is a release point for the clip but I am not positive. I'd return the car to the glass shop and see what they say about it.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Here's the cover over the rear-view mirror mount:

th_Rearview_Mirror_Mount.jpg

The attachment at top is the rear-view mirror stalk, and is toward the roof of the car. The big area to the right probably covers the sensor for the eight-point compass.

Click the photo for the original on Photobucket. I cropped it out of a cell phone picture but it's pretty clear, particularly the full-size JPEG on Photobucket.

The hole shows a flat metal surface that looks solid, not like a spring catch. The scratches are where I poked around with a Phillips screwdriver. The two slots on either side may be to release catches but I can't seem to get a grip on anything that releases the cover. There is a slot on the bottom, but prying on that doesn't seem to accomplish anything.

-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data

Jim, I had a lot of problems getting the mirror off to replace it with one that had a compass and getting it back on was a really hard job. Cant help but I remember it was rough

I'm beginning to think that someone broke the spring clip sometime back. If I can get it apart I can identify the part and photograph it, then perhaps get a replacement.

If you need a new mirror I have one in my "cadillac" parts box, not a compass mirror, its my original from my 96, you are welcome to it

I completely dread mirror removal on this style. why they stopped the set screw style is beyond me. the clip is a one way clip that slides over the button on the window and snaps on. If you can get the mirror off without breaking the window you are only half lucky. you are really lucky if the mirror stays tight on the reinstall. So many I see with replaced windshields have loose mirrors.

Now on the shift handle use goo gone. I did it on my 97 seville and it looks and feels like new. didnt even remove it

GM FAN FOREVER

Mine is a compass mirror. If something is broken, it is in the mount, not the mirror, I would hope.

rockfangd - How do you get the cover off? How do you get at the clip? Is the access to pry up the clip through the slot on the bottom of the cover?

The windshiled itself is not a very good one. I replaced it because of nearly fifteen years of abrasion had left it with quite a bit of glare driving into the sun, but the new one is the waviest glass I have ever seen in any car, and I have been looking for an excuse to get a decent windshield. Is the real solution to go to a decent glass house and work with them on getting the mirror back on tight?

usually it is not the mount. it is usually the mirror itself. where the clip is attached to the arm itself is like a big permanent rivet. either the clip gets damaged or becomes loose.

The plastic cover has a lock clip on each side of the center section on the mirror button. removing it doesnt help much. FSM states to pull mirror down all the way and while holding down pressure on the mirror press up on the button to release from the window. but way easier said than done, especially when the windshield is made out of glass

GM FAN FOREVER

Jeez. Rockfangd, you motivated me to look harder for the inside rearview mirror removal procedure in the FSM. I've looked several times over the years and never found it before. It's on pages 10-2-12 and 10-2-13 in the 1997 FSM. You just hold the left side of the mirror tight with your left hand against the windshield and just yank it off with your right hand.

The design is for breakaway when the air bags deploy. It's a safety thing, to keep the air bag from mashing a loose passenger against the mirror. Ouch.

The picture and directions make it look like the right hand is pulling straight out from the windshield. Is this right? Or, do you pull up toward the headliner? The installation instructions look like it is pushed down over the metal support that is glued to the windshield from the headliner side.

If I can get it off, and it turns out that a rivet is loose on the clip, I can replace the rivet, either with a bolt or another rivet.

Interestingly enough, the FSM says that the windshield comes with the mirror support already glued on the windshield, and also perhaps the rain sensor. That makes sense; I've heard of lots of mirrors falling off the windshield when parked in the sun in hot weather but never on a Cadillac. So, maybe the answer is a new windshield, with a body shop that can cope with the rivet and clamp.

usually the problem is in the mirror itself not the window part. and the rivet is not replaceable. I will post some pics of the button area. I have a spare mirror complete and it will show you what I mean

GM FAN FOREVER

rockgangd, you have my endless gratitude.

If the ultimate solution is RTV calk, so be it. But, given enough information from your photos, I will find a way.

here you go.

look at the one without the button installed and you will see the rivet style parts that hold the clip tight. They are not actually rivets but press over the clip and hold it tight. Also you will see the snap section at the bottom. and the 2 plastic clips that hold the cover onto the button.

mirror2.jpg

mirror.jpg

mirror3.jpg

GM FAN FOREVER

Wow. Perfect!

It looks like the slot at the bottom of the cover is intended to permit a special tool, like a narrow putty-knife that won't scratch glass, to reach up and hold the clip so the mirror will come off easily by pushing it up toward the headliner; I'm wondering if the FSM is really doing a good thing by simply telling body people to just rip it off with their bare hands.

Taking the plastic cover off looks like it is counterproductive because it includes the module that controls the compass and electrochromic (day-night) mirrors. Better to leave it on, and, as you say, it really isn't in the way. I was looking for a set screw.

And, it does look like putting a little RTV up the slot may be the answer, or, for the bold, squirting a little superglue up there and pushing the mirror down and holding it still for 60 seconds. Either solution awaits a new windshield, and perhaps the RTV should be applied just before the mirror is put on the new windshield.

Gents,

When I just bought my 1995 Fleetwood, that mirror was lose. I had a closer look at it and found a dovetail-profiled piece permanently attached (glued) to the windshield and a matching part on the mirror itself. Slided the mirror over that part on the windshield until it snapped on.Done.

Funny, later when I received service records for my new used car from the dealership it was serviced for years, I found a record about broken mirror and something like " the mirror cannot be fixed without replacing the windshield". :)

Jim, I cannot see how that mirror attachment design has anything to do with air bag. One should push the mirror in a specific direction to get it unsnapped. An airbag definitely cannot do that, neither a passenger or a driver can do with their foreheads. :)

Nice pictures, Rockfangd!

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

I was just fixing this on the Mustang yesterday...

The Mustang mirror is pretty much set up the same way. Mine had a minor vibration at speed. Identical 'rivets'..sort of loose metal clip...Not the original mirror.

Anyway...I used some mini C clips on the rivets. Snugged it right up.

As for the windshield....new ones may in fact come with the mirror button. You certainly do not need to replace the windshield to repair the mirror button. Maybe I'm reading it wrong...

post-2-0-84275300-1351284463_thumb.jpg

I was just fixing this on the Mustang yesterday...

The Mustang mirror is pretty much set up the same way. Mine had a minor vibration at speed. Identical 'rivets'..sort of loose metal clip...Not the original mirror.

Anyway...I used some mini C clips on the rivets. Snugged it right up.

As for the windshield....new ones may in fact come with the mirror button. You certainly do not need to replace the windshield to repair the mirror button. Maybe I'm reading it wrong...

no you can reglue it. but new windows do usually already have the button.

GM FAN FOREVER

From rockfangd photos, I got a clear understanding of what's under there. Tonight, I shoved my mount down hard, away from the headliner, and most of the slack went away. I'll look at it more over the weekend.

Archived