CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Struts and Shocks

Cadillac Jim

I have neglected taking time to maintain my car forum, unfortunately. But, here's a new post.

Recently I took advantage of GM's closeout pricing on electronic struts and shocks to order the parts for my car. I'm very much enjoying having the ride and handling back to the way it was when it was new. Monroe says to change the shocks and struts every 50,000 miles, and I did it at over 160,000 miles. It still passed the bounce test and drove and handled "fine" but as I have said recently, you need to decide what you want to drive when you make maintenance decisions.

Other than the shocks and struts themselves, and obvious rubber parts like the spring seats and the strut bearings, the only wear item that emerged was the tie rod ends. The inch or so of slack in my steering that I had noticed for the last several years is gone.

The ride height was right on specification so I didn't change the springs. I consulted some Cadillac parts experts before I made the decision. Another issue is that I didn't have the tag number for my springs to ensure getting the right ride height for the front, although I did order a set of springs by VIN and have them in the garage. They are part numbers 22197295 (front) and 22076935 (rear). Since they are quite heavy and thus expensive to ship, and of little value, they will ultimately go to the dump. If anyone wants them, send me a PM.

I also have new ultra-high-performance tires, Michelin Pilot Sport Plus. The combination, along with the low-mileage Jasper engine, still with just over 40,000 miles, and 100% Dexron VI in the tranny, is that the car is better than ever, after almost 15 years. Except the mufflers, of course - and I have no intention of replacing my Borla XS straight-through "mufflers." I get too many stares, grins, knowing looks, etc. to change that "just chillin'" bass sound at start and idle. And, my wife likes it too. Not that she's heard it bark when on the cam, though. :rolleyes:

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Glad you got it back to a nice tight ride Jim. Doing suspension work makes a big difference

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Dong the shocks, struts, tie-rod ends, and tires all in a short time really make me appreciate my "new" 1997 ETC.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Archived