CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Motor Trend Announces Car of the Year.

Marika

http://www.motoring.co.za/index.php?fSecti...ticleId=2306045

Oh pleeeeeeez, they must be joking. Truly a sad day for motoring.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I know this is total BS. Imagine this car beating an Audi A6, its not even in the same class. How do they compare a $25,000 car to the A6 starting at $41,600? The finishes in the Audi blow away most cars and it comes with Quattro. This is a disgrace

I had one of those (V-6) while I was at SEMA in Las Vegas earlier this month. Nothing to write home about. (or post on a forum) LOL. It was a S-L-O-W , big plastic box. Not bad for the price I guess, and sure the hemi is quicker, but is is NOT a world class car, IMO.

If you want to see one of those, with real potential for the next car 'o the year, look for the cover of the Feburary '05 Motor Trend. Might make us all happy... ;)

PS; Marika, hold on to that subsrcription until Feb!

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

Would be nice if the CTS hit 0-60 in 5.3s, and had 4" more rear leg room, for about the same price as the current base model, like the 300C.

My main concern with the 300c would be reliability, not something Mercedes is famous for lately either. But I hope the 300C has continued success, as it may spur GM to bring along more hp and hold the CTS at its price point.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Hey 98Concours...!

Short memory?????

1999 Chrysler 300m.....Motor Trend Car of the Year...!!!

I have driven mine for 120,k+ miles and I love it!

Granted, I love it a Lot less since I bought the '99 STS,

But it is still fun to drive, none the less...

Funny, I have been putting a lot of miles on the STS lately,

consequently, needs front motor mount...

Coincidence??? I think NOT!!!

I got in the 300m this morning and was laughing out loud because

I can lay rubber with the Traction Control OFF!

Can't quite do that in the STS!

To each his own...

Paid $22,500 for 300m with 10,K miles...

Paid $13,K for STS with 46,k miles...

Best Deal on the planet? STS...

Cannot wait to drive a 300c... Is there a Traction Control OFF Switch? LOL :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Oops! Didn't remember 1999. lol

I looked into getting a 300c, but the steering wheel doesn't tilt down as far as I like. I like the dang thing sitting in my lap, not up like a bus. Other than that, I was pretty much wanting one. Now, I'll just wait till the STSV comes out. I really like the look of the new STS.

Jeff

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

Oops! Didn't remember 1999. lol

I looked into getting a 300c, but the steering wheel doesn't tilt down as far as I like. I like the dang thing sitting in my lap, not up like a bus. Other than that, I was pretty much wanting one. Now, I'll just wait till the STSV comes out. I really like the look of the new STS.

Jeff

And you can turn off the traction control! I like its look also, much smaller but very clean looking

I too am impressed with the 300. Had I wanted to spend new car money it would at the top of my list. A friend who is a tech at a Mopar dealer says the "hemi" ad campaign is selling a lot of cars. He says the car has lot of Mercedes technology at half the price.

It does not look like everything else on the road. In fact I like the exterior better than the new STS. Not as well as previous model STS and the 300's interior not as luxurious as the STS.

So far my tech buddy says very few 300 problems coming back into the shop . The Hemi horsepower is nice and I think AWD availble soon, maybe already. That's good for us in the snow zone of the country.

I have had Mopars for many of the last 35 years and still have 2, a 66 Dodge and a Dakota. Both have been reliable and easy to work on.

Someday GM will get with it. The new STS a start but what about the other GM marques. I don't know what they have on the drawing board but I think the latest GTO has missed on the styling. The new Mustang certainly more interesting than the GTO.

Besides maybe Chysler spends more on advertising in MT.

There are few cars on the road one cannot confuse. Say, Jeep Wrangler or Eldorado. 300 is definitely one of them, which is good. I like the looks, but never drove one.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

My neighbour just got the Magnum R/T version, as a "winter car" so they could put their T-bird (new one) in hibernation. A rear-wheel drive winter car? Go figure, eh?

Anyway, they were nice enough to let me strap myself into it, and take it for a spin. He came with me, but was not shy to let me give 'er hell. I didn't necessarily punch it from a stand still (out of respect, not desire!), but dug it into the floor once we were in motion. The thing effortlessly swept through first gear, and the power kept coming as it seamlessly shifted into second. The experience was so refined, I was almost not impressed! I find one of the greatest things about WOTing the STS, is how all hell breaks lose in the process!

The Chrysler/Dodge riped down at full throttle with such manners, that it seemed to take away from the experince.

Thing is, my buddy's Dad has a Benz S-500 that we bomb around in sometimes, and that car has the same senstation...rapid yet effortless acceleration. You can faintly hear the drone of the V8, and all you see is the tach. sweeping though each gear!

It seems like some of these "manners" have rubbed off from the Germans onto the Chryslers.

Definetly not the brute of a Hemi, like in it's "Glory Days" of pre fuel economy concern, and emission control times!

" ...'took my Cobra down t' the track, hitched to the back o' my Cadillac..."

- Jan & Dean, 'hey little cobra'

Scott

I like the looks....BUT......

If it were as big as a Bentley,

Had the handling of a Maserati,

The speed of a Lamborghini and

was put together like a Rolls........

It still wouldn't be a Cadillac.

I agree with MT's decision......keep in mind Americans have had no "true" american 4 door for at least since 1996 since the B body discontinued.

This is a big step for the American auto industry, one of moving on to significantly better products then they have been sh!tting out for the past 30 yrs.....cmon....while all other brand will not follow with RWD I believe that this is a 200% step up then a comparable LHS or 300M from last year....just look at their old products and look at this....

I have personally driven only the C version and can say it is beautiful and all the power is there when you want it......no, not the best interior but it is quite nice, imo nicer then the CTS and STS all for low to mid 30's......not bad..

You know its funny, everyone and his brother jumps all over the new styling that Cadillac has promoted, everyone. And personally I think the 300s styling is equally as aggressively different and it's embraced with the press commenting like this

"Its popularity is widely seen as a victory for old-fashioned, "in your face" American styling, sparking the comment that "it's the first US-built, mainstream sedan in decades with bold, confident American styling."

PALEEZE give me a break it looks like a battering ram! What do you suppose the DRAG COEFFICIENT is on that BOX? So we are to love it as its picking up Mercedes gimmicks? The A6 would eat this car for lunch in an OBJECTIVE test. How much do you think they paid for this 'honor'?

I test driven the 300C when I bought the new Durango, I can say it is fun to drive, the style is fantastic, the Hemi is so power full with lots of torque but it is not as responsive as the northstar engine, when you press the pedal down to floor.

the 300C has much harder or sportier suspension than my 98 STS.

The interiors are not comparable with the new STS, the new sts interior looks better.

I think Chrisler need to improve the interior and the 300c would be true luxury car

Yes I especially like its vintage styling

LOL pretty funny Mike.

I think the 300C is a HUGE leap forward for Chrysler and it's about time they made something that looked and performed decently. Now maybe I'll stop using Chrysler as the butt of some jokes.....mmmm we'll see. The past 300's were supposed to be "something" but to me they were too much like the Intrepid (yawn). Yes the new 300C seems to be a winner for Chrysler and I for one have to admit that if I had $30,000 to spend on a NEW car the 300C would be on my list of choices. However........ if Cadillacs new line up (CTS perhaps) were price pointed at 30,000 or below then my choice would be an easy one. Put another way, if the 300C were listed at 50,000 then which would you choose? We're comparing apples to oranges here aren't we?

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

That was my first statement, How do they compare a $25,000 car to the A6 starting at $41,600? Their car of the year choice to me is ridiculous given that they compare in this unequal way and then ignore the major differences.

Lets face the facts there are people who feel there is NO appreciable difference between a Chevy/Buick and a Cadillac as long as it gets them from point A and point B and why should they spend the extra money! In that instance and with those types of people the 300 always wins!

BUT and I say this with a BIG BUT! Having just sat in an A6 and A8 let me tell you there is a huge difference for the price differential. I dare anyone to challenge me on that, go to AUDI and sit in one and look at the finishes, look at the lines, look for bolts, attaching points, feel it, look at the FIT....., and you tell me there is no difference, these cars are outstanding, and I love Cadillac. The Audi S4 just beat the CTS-V and Mercedes C55 AMG in a head to head, now that is a legitimate comparison, see Car and Driver, November 2004. (Audi-$51.4K, CTS-V-$51.4 and C55 AMG-$60,000). Cadillac came in second.

Plus the A6 has all-wheel drive Quatro? A 4.2 liter engine with 338 HP? And they dare to choose the 300C over it? What a disgrace, this is like comparing Michael Jordan to Spud Web! That is the stupidist comparison I have ever seen. Go to AUDI'S web site, visit the dealer, I only hope I live long enough to own one! (plus an STS of course). To be honest if you click the link below, I think Chrysler did a lousy job of trying to copy the A6's styling!

I am sorry that I have ranted on here, but I strongly believe that apples to apples should be compared and that means dollar to dollar ranges. If a $25,000 car is REALLY REALLY better than a $41,000 A6, AUDI will be out of business TOMORROW! Lets be realistic here, the 300 may be a great car but is it better regardless of PRICE to the point where you need to ignore the positives in the AUDI? Well lets compare it to a Rolls Royce! "Well if you ignore the WALNUT trim on the ROLLS and its "SOFT SQUISHY RIDE", FOR THE PRICE, the 300 is BETTER"? Huh?

I have heard a bunch of people complain about the plastic interior, well that is part of the entire package, but its overlooked when you make it a car of the year? Who there really thinks that the press is OBJECTIVE after watching the last two years of politics? You don't think this award was bought or the outcome influenced in some way, lets not be nieve. The press has already INFLUENCED people who have posted to this thread so they have accomplished their marketing goal. How many here have said, FOR THE PRICE I would buy it, or its a VALUE, its only $25,000, or for the price its better than the CTS/STS? So the press has directly influenced your thinking by comparing it to a much more expensive car, and that is what they do, .....etc, they are creating excitement, its keen marketing. And you are thinking, "the 300 beat a much more expensive AUDI A6!, I can live with the interior"! Go look at an AUDI and be objective.....

To me too much hype is attached to the word HEMI, a true phallac symbol, whose only connection to a HEMI of 1968 is the word HEMI itself, not unlike SS, like an SS today is like an SS from 1968. This marketing ploy is so powerful that people ignore the styling and interior quality to have HEMI on the side panels. Someone already said above, its not as powerful as the Northstar! HEMI has a mystique attached to it! Ha! I have to get a really big NORTHSTAR-32 Valve emblem for my side panels so I won't feel inadequate next to a HEMI.

http://www.audiusa.com/model_home/0,,bodyS...dystyle=a6sedan

Mike, it looks like you are going to have a heart attack over this issue :D:o

It would be really too bad taking into accout you survived the elections (actually, all of us did) :lol:

Mike, it looks like you are going to have a heart attack over this issue :D  :o

It would be really too bad taking into accout you survived the elections (actually, all of us did) :lol:

:lol::lol::lol: JUST BEARLY! :lol::lol::lol:

Do I look uptight!?! :blink::unsure::blink:

Certain things just push my ON button! Being a commercial real estate appraiser, in my business objectivity and apples to apples comparisons are very important so I am very sensitive to BIAS and improper comparisons and conclusions. Sorry ;)

Do I look uptight!?!

Well... yes you do, but we know you take everything too close to your heart. JUST TAKE IT EASY.

I do not like the "car of the year" title at alll. Let it run fo a couple of years and then we'll see whether it is as good as it was claimed.

Do I look uptight!?!

Well... yes you do, but we know you take everything too close to your heart. JUST TAKE IT EASY.

I do not like the "car of the year" title at alll. Let it run fo a couple of years and then we'll see whether it is as good as it was claimed.

Good point (both of them :lol: )

Archived