CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Torque converter solenoid out

momscaddy

My wives 2000 Seville had service engine soon light on. Took to dealership to run diagnostic test. They came up with code P0741 TCC and P1860 TCC. They said this means the torque converter solenoid was out and they have to split the engine and tranny to repair at a cost of $1200.00!!! They also said we can run it this way at the risk of losing the tranny. There are no noticeable performance problems. Has anybody ever heard of this? Does the repair cost sound fair?

I would want to know why the solenoid is not working. Is it defective or is there some other reason such as electrical (fuse, connection or wiring). Below is a link to a 113 page PDF article that I believe was authored by GM as a guide to diagnose trouble codes for the 4T80-E transmission. On page 23 you will see CODE 39, TCC NOT ENGAGING, which is probably the same or similar code for your Seville. I believe your Seville also has the 4T80-E transmission? Your owner’s manual should list the transmission model--at least mine does.

http://www.racingstrong.com/toystar/reference/transaxle4.pdf

With a 56K modem it will take about 30 seconds to load.

PO741 is a common code on late model trannys. I have a 2000 eldo with the same code. I was quoted $1,000 to $1500 for the repair. The fix is a new converter and solenoid. There is a fix for the valve body by a company called Sonax and I have heard that it will fix po741 Nobody around where I live has ever messed with that repair so I do not want to gamble with it. I have 125000 on my eldo and am not going to spend 1500 for a trans repair. It has been like this for 4000 miles so I am just going to wait until it gets worse or quits then get a GM rebuilt trans. I sure do like my eldorado and it runs just as good today as it did new.

The solenoid locks up the converter at higher speeds to give you a little more MPG. I have driven GM cars with the lockup disconnected for years. I dont think it would hurt the transmission.

• 3 years later...

Archived