CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Fuel Rail Recall Completed

JasonA

Got back a short while ago from a very unimpressive performance by Bryan Cadillac in Fayetteville, NC. This is the second time I've been generally unimpressed with their service, so I need to make the slightly longer drive out to Pinehurst next time.

I made the appointment at least 2 weeks ago for today, but alas they still didn't have the parts in stock this morning. We arrived there to have him tell us they didn't have the parts in stock, but they expected the FedEx truck at 10am. Said he tried to call yesterday but no answer. Funny, our machine had a few messages on it, none of which were from Bryan Cadillac... Okay, no problem, we can go vote then come back and have the car done. After standing in the LONG line to vote, we got done about 10:30, call back, got some other dude. "Uh, naw, FedEx doesn't ever run before noon." Um...okay. I call back at 1pm. Nope, part still hasn't showed up. This time, I instruct them to call me. Call came at 2pm, parts finally arrive. If I hurry over, they can squeeze me in today. Yeah, they had better squeeze me in; I took a day off work for this??

The repair was completed fairly quickly. I left the service desk (dropping it off) at 2:36 and had the final invoice in hand by 3:29. Meanwhile, I stopped by the parts desk and picked up a new air filter and oil drain plug, for the grand total of 12 bucks. When I got out to the car, I thought about calling CSI -- there was a full set of 8 greasy fingerprints on the hood good enough to send off to the FBI. Once inside, the piece of plastic they use as a mat cover was so soaked with muddy/greasy water that it was spilling over anyway. And to top it off, a nice dab of red grease on the rim of the steering wheel. Nothing caused permanent damage, but it was pretty UNassuring to have the car treated to this while they repair a recalled part.

I noticed black plastic wire looming on the four front plug wires. Possibly an attempt to protect them from the new rail? Or maybe that's just a general service practice that all cars get treated to? Either way, although ours wasn't leaking, I'm happy that it won't in the future.

Pics: http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/fuelrail.htm

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

Yes, they didn't try to sell me anything...which was good. I'm sure they have guidance not to try to up sell while a car is in on a safety recall. Perhaps the annoyance factor comes into play there...if you're already there on a safety item, would you want them to try to sell you a transmission flush? I wouldn't. :)

Had my fuel rail job done a few days ago at Betts Cadillac Des Moines.

Car was in and out at time promised. I left it for 3 hours while I did some business in the area. All ready when I returned.

They even washed the car before I picked it up. (Maybe to remove greasy fingerprints CSI could identify)

No wire conduit though. Did the GM bulletin specify it?

Bill A

No wire conduit though. Did the GM bulletin specify it?

Bill A

I had my 96 STS done a few weeks ago and they installed wiring loom over the spark plug wires. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, and he said they put wiring loom on his 96 ESC when it was repaired. You might want to call the dealer and ask them why they did not complete the repair.

Good luck.

No wire conduit though.  Did the GM bulletin specify it?

Bill, actually it does (I didn't know that when I first posted). I read the bulletin later on yesterday evening and it specifies the conduit. It even says to install it in TWO pieces on each plug wire...one length for the run between the plug boot and the retainer at the top of the intake manifold, and one length for the rest of the way to where the wires come together to go to the coils. On mine, they got lazy and just put one long run on there. I think I'm going to trim them up, cut out a section in the middle, and just clean it up. But yes, the loom is specified in the bulletin. If you need a copy of the bulletin let me know. Take that back to your dealership and ask that they install the loom.

I had mine replaced last week at Horton Cadillac, Monroe Georgia. Very impressed with them so far. They were recommended to me by a chevy dealership I trusted. Now I no why! They aren't convenient, but worth the drive... I made an appointment, and was in and out within an hour; that included an oil change too! Just thought I would let people in the Atlanta area know; and from past experience with Hennessey Gadillac in Gwinnett? You want to stear clear!!!

Mark McDermott

79 Deville 84,000

97 Deville 279,000 :yupi3ti:

had mine done yesterday. had 9am appt said they were running 30 min late at 11am they finally got the car in said they wanted the car to cool down that they were afraid of fire o well long wait but i hope worth it

I wish I could go out and buy that wire loom its great stuff and very hard to find, the junk you can but at auto parts stores and Jegs melts at too low a temp and is useless. Next time I go to Caddy parts I am going to try to buy some or I will visit a junk yard and strip some off a newer vehicle...

Bill, and others, go ahead and reload my page again on the fuel rail recall (linked up in the very first post). I added a link to the procedure. It's in Adobe Acrobat format (pdf).

Do the '98s need replacement? Can someone with a '98 check their fuel rail for confirmation? If it's nylon and says "GM213M Type F", or if it says "M-Bond" in white/yellow dot-matrix type printing, then it does NOT need replacement. If there is clearly NO markings like this, and it's a nylon rail, then it probably is the same as the '95-'97 rail. But I'm not sure...they may have changed the material for the '98 model year. I'm sure there's a reason they ended the recall with the '97s. Parts availability maybe...maybe for some other reason though.

Archived