CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Just changed pads, rotors & now ABS light stays on

epricedright

I just replaced my rear pads & rotors, pulled it out of the garage and the ABS light is now on and won't go off. I do not have traction control. I have no codes (when I press the off and warmer buttons). The only thing I did out of the ordinary was apply the parking brake while I had the parking brake cable support bracket loose. I can't see how that would affect the ABS though. I looked through the FSM and some of that was over my head regarding diagnosis. Am I going to need a Tech 1 to diagnose this one. Any idea anyone what could possibly be wrong? Is there any way to reset the ABS light?

The good news is the vibration during high speed braking is gone. I did the recommended brake imbed procedure and all seems ok except this idiot light.

I just did a search on this problem from previous post and found it could possibly be:

1. ABS wire going to wheel loose or corroded (speed sensor wire I imagine). This could be it, will look at that more closely.

2. Wheel sensor wires in harness shorted...will play with harness and see if light goes out.

3. ABS fuse...will check.

4. Wheel bearing going - seems unlikely as it spun real easy, no noises, and light wasn't on before brake job, came on immediately after brake job.

5. Wiring to ABS unit...where is ABS unit? I don't think I went anywhere near that doing the rear brakes.

Any other ideas come to mind?

Why NO codes though? Should I maybe disconnect & reconnect ground cable and see if that works to turn light off?

BTW, I was surprised the words "ABS light" worked in the search tool. I thought 3 letter words didn't work in the search. I tried a 3 letter search some time ago and it didn't work. Was that a recent fix? If so, good job and Thank You! :)

Look for a loose connection at the back of the hub bearings in the rear (inboard connector). There is an ABS speed sensor that sends a signal to the Antilock Brake System (ABS), you may have dislodged it or broken it by accident, Mike

For my experience, you were getting high speed braking vibration from the rear? I know its possible but tend to overlook the rear for high speed vibration and focus on the front. Could you provide more details about it, this is good information.

For my experience, you were getting high speed braking vibration from the rear? I know its possible but tend to overlook the rear for high speed vibration and focus on the front. Could you provide more details about it, this is good information.

Yes, I was getting a vibration while braking at high speeds; i.e. braking on the highway while exiting and what not. It would only happen when the brakes were hot. I isolated the rear brakes to be the culprit by applying the emergency brake and I could then feel the vibration. I figured it was a warped rotor or rotor with uneven pad residue on it. I tried to bed the brakes to burn off any uneven residue beforehand with no success. I decided to replace the rotors, figuring turning them would be useless considering the warpage (vibration) was only felt when the brakes were hot. Figured turning the rotors while cold would not affect or eliminate the warpage. So anyhow, new Raybestos PG Plus rotors and Raybestos Quiet Stop ceramic pads did the trick...no more vibration! ;)

BTW, good thing I bought the brake caliper piston CUBE tool to screw in the piston as needle nose pliers would have taken forever, never mind possibly cutting into that rubber piston boot. Had to screw it in atleast 15 turns. :angry: Well worth the expense!

Now, if I can only isolate the ABS light problem. I'll look at that speed sensor. I wouldn't be surprised if I dislodged or bumped the speed sensor as I had to dam near get inside the wheel well, lying on my back, with my foot in the wheel well for leverage, to break loose the caliper mount bolts...they were the bolts from hell! :angry: Must of never been taken off in 11 years. Definately eat your wheaties before doing that job! :D

Anything else to look at while I'm at it, besides what I metioned above? Thanks!!

Thanks for the info on the high speed braking vibration, good idea about the emergency brake, now that I think about it bbobynski suggested that also. I just ALWAYS think its the front.... :rolleyes:

I have that cube also, it does the job nicely.

I think you will find the sensor connector is off or damaged from your brute strength maneuvering, there is no other reason that I can think of for the ABS light to come on. Good Luck, report your findings, Mike

Thanks for the info on the high speed braking vibration, good idea about the emergency brake, now that I think about it bbobynski suggested that also. I just ALWAYS think its the front....

epricedright,

did you try emergency braking on high speed AFTER ROTORS WERE REPLACED? i always considered emergency brakes were supposed to be applied when the car was parked. :blink:

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Thanks for the info on the high speed braking vibration, good idea about the emergency brake, now that I think about it bbobynski suggested that also. I just ALWAYS think its the front....

epricedright,

did you try emergency braking on high speed AFTER ROTORS WERE REPLACED? i always considered emergency brakes were supposed to be applied when the car was parked. :blink:

They won't stay locked with the car in gear (luckily). This is a great way to check the rears, I had forgotten about the technique

Fixed it! :D The speed sensor was loose. Funny thing was, it was not the side that I had to wrestle with. Thanks Mike & Ranger!

did you try emergency braking on high speed AFTER ROTORS WERE REPLACED? i always considered emergency brakes were supposed to be applied when the car was parked.

Yeh, no problem. Push on the pedal and it will grab the rears slightly depending on how hard you press down. Let off and the brakes disengage right away. Great way to clean up your rotors and bed the rear pads also. Try it sometime. ;)

Thanks Mike! I have to admit my confidence has grown ten fold since I've had this car. I literally knew nothing about Caddies 3 months ago. My hats off to you and this board. ;) Can't thank you and everyone else enough!

I'm doing my front brakes now. Just taking a break. I had a problem getting the right grease. I'll make a post about that so no one else will go through what I did.

Archived