CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

alternator bolts

pos2nat

changed my 93 sts alternator today. couldn't get to the inner bolt (nearer to the engine block) at the back of the alternator. there are 2 bolts on the bracket and it took me nearly an hour to get the inner one. I couldn't find any way to reinstall that bolt on the new alternator. has anyone changed the alternator on a 93 sts and dealt with this problem. the alternator seems fine without it. now has only one bolt on the rear bracket.

I just replaced my alternator a couple of months ago. There is a method to screwing in the bracket bolts. The method that I found to be best is to screw in the bracket bolts first (don't tighten them yet). Then screw in the main bolts to the alternator (both upper and lower). In other words, don't even attempt to screw in the two main bolts until the bracket bolts are in. The point is to not restrict movement of the alternator by screwing in the two main bolts first. This way you can move the alternator just enough to allow proper alignment of the bracket bolts.

Mac is correct.

It is called a floating self-alignment method. Put all bolts in place prior to tightening any of them.

In your case loosen them all back up, then put in the missing one, and re-tighten

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

Are you following the factory manual procedure? I did my 94 Eldo a little while back( I think they are similar) and if you followed proceedure, there is room to restart that back bolt, you just need to be calm.

I had trouble with the front bolt backing out into an exhaust piece.

Kent

I had trouble with the front bolt backing out into an exhaust piece.

Kent

The service manual states the the front bracket bolt will not clear the exhaust.

It apprently was not considered a real problem. I was also a little puzzled when I removed my alternator; when doing a head gasket repair.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

thanks for the replies. I am planning to rebuild the original I took out and then I will put it in if the new one goes. I got the new one @ Autozone, so I am hoping for about a year, works ok right now (tested with some redline WOTs). I will put the bolt back in the next time I drop so many parts....hopefully not for a long time...

Archived