CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Limp Home Mode

Now i'm confused, I was thinking that "Limp Home Mode" was only 1st and 2nd gear. I read now that it is only 2nd gear. Yea I don't have the codes right now but I did check and there was a bunch. Car is at the farm right now so it will be a couple days before I can post. Just wondering about the 1st and second gear business.

BTW, its on the 95 Eldo I recenlty purchased.

Spence

Just 2nd.

If you shut it down and restart, the computer will try to be normal and shift as usual, till it decides that something is wrong. In my case ( 95 etc, 140k ) at lower suburban speeds it was fine, however as soon as it approached highway speed it would go from 4th to 3rd to 2nd and stay there.

In all likelyhood, the shift solenoids need to be replaced. They are inexpensive at ~$70, the job is messy if you want to do it yourself, but is documented reasonably well on this forum. If not, you just gotta find a shop that will replace the solenoids for a couple hundred and not try to rebuild your tranny for a couple thousand.

For the record, I had codes that indicated that the input speed sensor was bad, and still do intermitently. This is much harder and more expensive to repair and in my experience can be ignored. If you are getting speed sensor codes then you may not see the shift solenoid codes. That what happened to me, but it was the solenoids. I fixed it .... messy but cheap.

Archived