CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Member Types?

Bruce, can you please briefly describe the different ways we can contribute to this board ($)? I noticed in another thread you mentioned a "contributing member" and a "subscribing member". What are the differences between these types? And how can we sign up to contribute some dough? Maybe I'm overlooking it.

Thanks,

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

A Subscribing Member is someone who has a subscription through paypal or post and contributes monthly.

A Contributing Memberis someone who has sent one or more contributions within the last 12 months.

Finally, a Subscribing Sponsor or Contributing Sponsor are like members but are manufacturers, or dealers, etc.

I have not caught up statuses on the new board for all contributions within the last 12 months yet; I am hoping to work on that soon.

To contribute the 'old' way, you can go to the caddyinfo.com homepage and go to the bottom of the page and choose between paypal subscription and paypal donation.

To contribute in the new board pipeline, you can go to "My Controls" then to "Purchase Paid Subscription" then choose between Subscription ($10/mo) or Donation ($20/year). This has the advantage that it will automatically update your status on the board. I have not tested this yet as paypal won't allow me to send money to myself but appears to be wired right.

Once I figure out the right divisions, each type of user will have different priviledges or feature levels on the board in addition to changing your board title. We may also have forums that are only available to subscribing or contributing users, like technical lookup requests for example.

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

Is there a method for paying without PayPal, like writing you a check directly? I don't have a PayPal account, and would rather not get one. If a personal check or other type of payment will work, please let me know and I'll get with you via email to work it out. I'd like to contribute monetarily to keep this wonderful new format advertisement-free!

Certainly; you can post a check to Bruce Nunnally at

this address:

Bruce Nunnally

ATTN: Caddyinfo.com

1304 Todd Drive

Plano, TX 75023-1911

Then I can update your forum status, etc. manually.

So far I'm trying to avoid banner ads. I am hoping to add some

Sponsoring Vendor forums, as I would like to see Group Buys and similar

activity.

I am still not sure how much bandwidth we will be using; hopefully

we will be able to gauge that within a week or two and know what

the final cost for the new forums will be :unsure:

Bruce

Bruce, I know I'd sure appeciate not having banner ads, and I'm hoping others would too. (They're annoying, to say the least...) Let us now what we can do to help you avoid that. I know I'd up the ante to prevent those.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

I am trying to think though something like a blog forum for members, where each member would have a topic within a separate forum where they would update info about their specific cadillac. Might have simple entries like repairs, new pics, updates, etc., sort of in a journal or diary format. So I for example would have a thread called Bruce's 2004 CTS with notes on repairs or maintenance or travel or whatever. More general remarks would go out to the discussion forum, but car reports to my thread in the Member's Cars forum.

Bruce

I am trying to think though something like a blog forum for members, where each member would have a topic within a separate forum where they would update info about their specific cadillac.  Might have simple entries like repairs, new pics, updates, etc., sort of in a journal or diary format.  So I for example would have a thread called Bruce's 2004 CTS with notes on repairs or maintenance or travel or whatever.  More general remarks would go out to the discussion forum, but car reports to my thread in the Member's Cars forum. 

That sounds like a great idea! I would like to look back and see how much gas I use and how much money I spend on repairs. Or how many miles I usually put on it. I would go for that! It would also be fun to look at other peoples blogs to see info about their cars!

18 Year Old Male

Black 1992 STS 4.9L

90,XXX Miles

Flowmaster 80 series muffler :D

You're welcome to use the format I use to keep my car's information on the Internet: http://jadcock.oldsgmail.com/cadsls/maint.html

On that page, I pretty much keep everything except gasoline and oil changes. It gives me (and you all) an idea of how long items like tires and brakes last, and it gives me a good reference for how long it's been since I last did a particular repair.

For instance, "wow, it's been over 40,000 miles since I put on the cross-drilled rotors and I haven't had to turn them yet!" ;)

hey Jadcock - you have any pics of your low beams [XtraVision]. How do you like em? I was just about to purchase Silverstars, but then I had the option to drive a diff. car for the winter..,while keeping the caddy in storage. Lemme know

Thanks

-Eric

Eric

93 Cad Seville 100K

95 Chev Blazer 143K [garaged summers] :)

hey Jadcock - you have any pics of your low beams [XtraVision]. How do you like em? I was just about to purchase Silverstars, but then I had the option to drive a diff. car for the winter..,while keeping the caddy in storage.

I've never had the Silverstar headlights before, but I have had the Xtravision in sealed beam style, so I thought I'd try them again in the capsule format. I really do like them. Someone on the previous version of this board has the Silverstars and I think he likes them.

I'm most concerned about the longegevity of the blue filter bulbs (like the Cool Blue, Silverstar, etc). I had the Cool Blue bulbs until one burned out just about two years after I put it in. I would prefer a headlight to last longer than that. Silvania Osram's website even states that the Silverstar bulbs don't last as long as normal style halogens, so I figure the life expectancy is greatly reduced with those, but again, I've never had them, so I can't tell you from experience. I don't like to drive the Cadillac much at night anyway, so I couldn't justify the extra cost and increased change interval with the Silverstars. I like the Xtravision bulbs at least as good as the Cool Blues because there are no light absorbing filters on the capsule. The light you get isn't as "white" as it was before, but there's much more of it. If you have standard halogens now, you should be able to tell a difference with the Xtravision. They advertise 20% more life and 2x the life expectancy I think. I expect these to last me four years or more.

[someone on the previous version of this board has the Silverstars and I think he likes them.

I'm most concerned about the longegevity of the blue filter bulbs (like the Cool Blue, Silverstar, etc).

I'm probably the guy that Jason is referring to, with the recent addition of Silverster bulbs. Incidentally, they are not 'blue filter' bulbs, buy very white light.

I used the high beam bulb in both sockets, a very easy modification to the bulb. Here's a link to the procedure:

http://bmwz.org/articles/lighting/mod0506bulb/

As far as thr longevity...I just put them in early January '04. So we'll see. But, the improvement in night vivion is so vastly improved, that I'm not concered about a few extra bucks and five miutes of my time every couple of years or so?

user posted image

Bob D

I just put the SilverStar lights in mine although I didn't install the high beam bulb in both sockets I'll have to check that out. I also used the very white bulbs and I was very happy with results.

Dennis

Dennis

The Silverstar bulbs do have a blue filter, which is what creates the white light effect. They also have a life expectancy of "up to one year" according to their website:

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/sstar_faq.htm

Bob D, yes, you are the person to whom I was referring. :lol:

The Silverstar bulbs do have a blue filter, which is what creates the white light effect. They also have a life expectancy of "up to one year" according to their website:

http://www.sylvania.com/auto/sstar_faq.htm

Bob D, yes, you are the person to whom I was referring. :lol:

Hey, good call! You know Jason, shortly after posting, my brain kicked in...Blue filtering=white light...Duh...LOL Oh well, I need to have more coffee before get involved. ;-)

Ok, the clock's ticking...1/3/04, 84k mls. We'll see how long they last, and I will post when the first one goes.

user posted image

A Subscribing Member is someone who has a subscription through paypal or post and contributes monthly.

A Contributing Memberis someone who has sent one or more contributions within the last 12 months.

Finally, a Subscribing Sponsor or Contributing Sponsor are like members but are manufacturers, or dealers, etc.

I have not caught up statuses on the new board for all contributions within the last 12 months yet; I am hoping to work on that soon.

To contribute the 'old' way, you can go to the caddyinfo.com homepage and go to the bottom of the page and choose between paypal subscription and paypal donation.

To contribute in the new board pipeline, you can go to "My Controls" then to "Purchase Paid Subscription" then choose between Subscription ($10/mo) or Donation ($20/year). This has the advantage that it will automatically update your status on the board. I have not tested this yet as paypal won't allow me to send money to myself but appears to be wired right.

Once I figure out the right divisions, each type of user will have different priviledges or feature levels on the board in addition to changing your board title. We may also have forums that are only available to subscribing or contributing users, like technical lookup requests for example.

Bruce,

It was real easy to join using pay pal. took like 3 or 4 clicks and that was it. It walks you right through easily, I could have had my dog do it if he had a pointer on his paw! It upgraded my status instantly as a contributing member. So, another thing that is going smooth on the new site. MC

• 1 month later...

Hey, Bruce, I just threw my $20 into the bowl. It's well worth it. :)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Bruce, I know I'd sure appeciate not having banner ads, and I'm hoping others would too. (They're annoying, to say the least...) Let us now what we can do to help you avoid that. I know I'd up the ante to prevent those.

Banner ads are annoying because some people around here can't resist clicking on them.... ;)

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

Excellent; thanks. Now go get a car journal posted in http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=8

A good way to start is to talk about how you decided to get the Cadillac, the details on the car, what options, what personalization/customization/mods you have added, pet names, etc. and of course images.

Bruce

Archived