CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Disc Changer

Hi guys,

Been a very long time since I posted anything here, but here goes. I recently purchased my 3rd Caddy, A 2001 Eldorado ETC. It doesn't have the 6 disc changer in the trunk, and was wondering if the wiring was already there, and I could just purchase one on Ebay or something and just plug it in? Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Millwright71

If your radio has a button for cd, it does and most likely it does. There is a plug in the trunk right behind the passenger rear seat. Mine didn't have a cd and I bought a 6 disk off ebay and plugged it in and been useing it ever since.

I have a '97 Deville (almost identical to '99), and I have bought a CD changer from ebay and installed it, using the pre-drawn wiring already in the car. Although there is no CD button on the radio, I could see that the display had an icon for CD. (All possible symbols on the display can be seen with the right light, play around with a flashlight from different angles to see it.) I press the SOURCE button on my radio to access the CD changer.

The pre-drawn wiring is on the right hand side of the trunk, pretty far back (close to the taillight). Just move away the liner to locate it, then cut a small slit in the liner to be able to get it out. It has a plug that connects to the CD-changer, so installing it is not harder than plugging it in (and making sure that the CD changer is secured to prevent it from moving around).

Good luck!

Jonas

I have a '97 Deville (almost identical to '99), and I have bought a CD changer from ebay and installed it, using the pre-drawn wiring already in the car. Although there is no CD button on the radio, I could see that the display had an icon for CD. (All possible symbols on the display can be seen with the right light, play around with a flashlight from different angles to see it.) I press the SOURCE button on my radio to access the CD changer.

The pre-drawn wiring is on the right hand side of the trunk, pretty far back (close to the taillight). Just move away the liner to locate it, then cut a small slit in the liner to be able to get it out. It has a plug that connects to the CD-changer, so installing it is not harder than plugging it in (and making sure that the CD changer is secured to prevent it from moving around).

Good luck!

Jonas

So wait are you saying you used the original stereo wih the cd changer or did you have to get a stereo with the cd button? on my 96 it has tape, fm1 fm2, and AM as the buttons.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Good luck!

Jonas

So wait are you saying you used the original stereo wih the cd changer or did you have to get a stereo with the cd button? on my 96 it has tape, fm1 fm2, and AM as the buttons.

I used the original stereo in my '97, but it does not have the same buttons as your stereo. Instead of "tape, fm1 fm2, and AM", I have a button called SOURCE. The source button is a two-way button that can be pushed on the left or right side, thereby cycling between TAPE, FM and CD in that or the reverse order. Before I connected the CD changer, the source button only cycled between TAPE and FM.

Having the buttons you describe but no CD button, I do not think that you can connect a CD changer to your stereo. Maybe you still have the wiring though, which would make it easier to switch stereo (look for one on ebay or a junk yard). Check your trunk (as described in my first post). If you don't have a cable there, maybe you can find a stereo with a built in CD, or even a built in 6-disc changer. I know some GM cars have those, but I don't know if they fit in your Cadillac (but I would guess that some of them do).

Hope it helps!

Jonas

also consider the ipod-2-car (about $100)

it'll plug into the CD connector, and it will allow you to attach your ipod to your car, and control it from your radio. no RF, and after market displays on your car. the radio treats it like a multi-cd player.

Good luck!

Jonas

What did you look for in eBay when you found the CD changer? I have a 99 and have the source button. The wiring for the CD changer was already laying back in the trunk? That's weird because I just tore all my lining out on the right side and I couldn't find any plug-in that was there. Maybe yours did have it and someone took it out?

-Dusty-

2006 Cadillac DTS Glacier Gold Tri-Coat with 175,000 miles

1993 Cadillac Sixty Special Gold Mist with 185,000 miles

Good luck!

Jonas

What did you look for in eBay when you found the CD changer? I have a 99 and have the source button. The wiring for the CD changer was already laying back in the trunk? That's weird because I just tore all my lining out on the right side and I couldn't find any plug-in that was there. Maybe yours did have it and someone took it out?

What I read on the net before getting my changer was that those cars were all pre-wired, so I would check one more time if I were you. There was no slit or hole in the lining of my car before I made one - hence the cable cold not have been out and connected to a disc changer before. There were also no traces (holes) of any mounting bracket for the changer, so I am close to 100% sure that my car did not come with a changer when it was new. The cable that I found was located under the antenna, but a little further back, closer to the taillight. This link will take you to a picture that I uploaded of the connector:

Picture of my cd changer connector in a Google Picasa web album.

Unfortunately you cannot see exactly where it is on the picture, but at least you get an idea of what to look for. Perhaps you need to look further down - I don't remember if it was possible for the cable to slide in somewhere and "hide".

If you search for cadillac disc changer on ebay, you should get some results. The 12-disc changer that some people sell is the one I got. Mine came out of -98 STS (I think).

Good luck, and let me know if you find it (the cable)!

Btw, I was close to buying a '93 sixty special once. That's a nice car :).

Good luck!

Jonas

What I read on the net before getting my changer was that those cars were all pre-wired, so I would check one more time if I were you. There was no slit or hole in the lining of my car before I made one - hence the cable cold not have been out and connected to a disc changer before. There were also no traces (holes) of any mounting bracket for the changer, so I am close to 100% sure that my car did not come with a changer when it was new. The cable that I found was located under the antenna, but a little further back, closer to the taillight. This link will take you to a picture that I uploaded of the connector:

Picture of my cd changer connector in a Google Picasa web album.

Unfortunately you cannot see exactly where it is on the picture, but at least you get an idea of what to look for. Perhaps you need to look further down - I don't remember if it was possible for the cable to slide in somewhere and "hide".

If you search for cadillac disc changer on ebay, you should get some results. The 12-disc changer that some people sell is the one I got. Mine came out of -98 STS (I think).

Good luck, and let me know if you find it (the cable)!

Btw, I was close to buying a '93 sixty special once. That's a nice car :).

Hey thanks! I wanted a really nice older Caddy for when my wife and I got married and this one jumped out at me. I picked it up for only $1600! I love rare Caddy's.

I checked quite a bit in my trunk and I didn't see anything like that. I even tried pulling on random wires to see if any were loose :P

I'll go back and check again later when the wind isn't 40 MPH. It's tough to check anything with that kind of wind.

-Dusty-

Jonas -

where did you mount your CD changer? I looked yesterday in my '97 and found the wiring coiled up next to the Power Antenna, but did not see any place that I could mount it.

Sean M.

1997 Cadillac DeVille

Jonas -

where did you mount your CD changer? I looked yesterday in my '97 and found the wiring coiled up next to the Power Antenna, but did not see any place that I could mount it.

You found it too?? Well dang it! I found a plug-in back there that was wrapped in some plastic protectant, but it looked nothing like the one you showed. I should take a picture of it and show you.

-Dusty-

Jonas -

You found it too?? Well dang it! I found a plug-in back there that was wrapped in some plastic protectant, but it looked nothing like the one you showed. I should take a picture of it and show you.

If what you found was a connector who's pins look something like an old style computer printer/serial port (25 pins), that was for Onstar. that connector can never be useful again. If you didn't find your CD wire there, then you don't have one.

I guess another way to see if you will have the CD changer option is to see if you have a fuse in the rear fuseblock for "AMP". if that fuse is occupied, then keep looking for that CD wire.

Jonas -

If what you found was a connector who's pins look something like an old style computer printer/serial port (25 pins), that was for Onstar. that connector can never be useful again. If you didn't find your CD wire there, then you don't have one.

I guess another way to see if you will have the CD changer option is to see if you have a fuse in the rear fuseblock for "AMP". if that fuse is occupied, then keep looking for that CD wire.

Onstar, huh? That's cool!

I'll check for that fuse tomorrow. Thanks!

-Dusty-

Jonas -

There are mounting brackets that fasten somewhere for those disc changers, but I don't remember the details of what they look like etc. There may be some nuts for fastening the bracket welded to the frame under the floor liner of the trunk, but I am not sure about that. Since the changer I bought did not come with the mounting bracket, and I was very eager to get my changer working, I made a makeshift solution by putting it in a shallow cardboard box that I lined with bubble plastic. I then fastened the whole thing to one of the little plastic hooks that hold the "convenience net" if present (the hooks are molded into the black plastic at the back (taillight end) of the trunk either way). I don't know if I should be embarrassed that I still haven't fixed it more properly, or proud that my makeshift solution is quite durable - either way, it is still in use after five years... ;)

For the Deville 96-99, the CD holder is a tray that the Changer sits in, and the tray gets bolted to a insert that's at the bottom of the trunk on the passenger side. once again, you'll need to put 2 slits in the trunk mat to allow the tray to bolt to the car (slides in on one side, and bolts on the other). You can keep checking out junkyards, as it's where I was able to get my bracket - I recall it was $5.00

Wow this thread thread is very useful. Ok all cadillacs have the mounting for the CD changer, If you pull up The carpet in the right side of the trunk you will see a hole where the changer slides into, and then 2 holes that bolt the unit down. The carpet from a cd changer option trunk has 2 slits, Both about 1"X6".

If your Cadillac has the Bose system, Stereo with the source buttons, or subsystem it will have the plug behind the carpet next to the power antenna. The plug is attached to the bracket near the antenna. If you pull the carpet and dont see it you are not prewired.

As another member stated the plug that is all taped up is The ON-Star plug and does not get used. If you unplug it you will be wasting your time. The CD changer plug is not wrapped up.

The 98+ Cadillacs I believe were all prewired. If you find the plug in the trunk It will have a connector will be plugged into the plug instead of the Changer. It is a resistor to tell the radio There is no CD.

I will be updating very soon with my results as I have just installed a Stereo from a 97 in my 96 so I now have the Source button radio and can Wire it up. I also will post full pics.

GM FAN FOREVER

Nice, clean, luxury= fine automobile

Archived