CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Replacing ignition lock STS 1995

manowar77

Hi guys!

Im going to order a new OEM ignition lock and key from carlocksandkeys.com and replace my old one...to see if this SECURITY lamp goes off! But can i take out the old lock without removing the steering wheel? I looked in my Haynes manual but it doesnt make any sense to me how to proceed!

Its a STS 1995!

Roger Martinsen

Hi guys!

Im going to order a new OEM ignition lock and key from carlocksandkeys.com and replace my old one...to see if this SECURITY lamp goes off! But can i take out the old lock without removing the steering wheel? I looked in my Haynes manual but it doesnt make any sense to me how to proceed!

Its a STS 1995!

You have to remove the steering wheel. You will need to buy/rent a steering wheel puller. It is important to remove air bag's fuse and disconnect the battery first. The new ignition key should have the same resistor value the current key has got.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Hi guys!

Its a STS 1995!

You have to remove the steering wheel. You will need to buy/rent a steering wheel puller. It is important to remove air bag's fuse and disconnect the battery first. The new ignition key should have the same resistor value the current key has got.

Any idea where i can buy a steering wheel puller? I measured the key today..its 523 ohm in resistance, code 2!

Roger Martinsen

Hi guys!

Its a STS 1995!

Any idea where i can buy a steering wheel puller? I measured the key today..its 523 ohm in resistance, code 2!

It is a simple tool - any parts store should have one.

Roger,

You will also need a lock plate compesser in addition to the steering wheel puller. Honestly, for a 1995 car, I would just bypass the system with a resistor and be done with it over replacing the ignition lock.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Roger,

You will also need a lock plate compesser in addition to the steering wheel puller. Honestly, for a 1995 car, I would just bypass the system with a resistor and be done with it over replacing the ignition lock.

Hi KHE!

I decided to do just that you said...to bypass the VATS system! Instead of spending 60-70 USD on a new lock cylinder and keys i am going to buy a resistor and bypass it! I do think that the problem with the SECURITY light is in the ignition lock/keys..when i had the "wait 3 min" message i tried my spare key a couple of times and the engine fired up and the SECURITY light went away!

I measured the key resistance to 523 ohm,code 2 and im going to buy a resistor next week and make a bypass cable! A lot easier than removing the steering wheel :bluesbrothers:

Roger Martinsen

Roger,

Hi KHE!

I decided to do just that you said...to bypass the VATS system! Instead of spending 60-70 USD on a new lock cylinder and keys i am going to buy a resistor and bypass it! I do think that the problem with the SECURITY light is in the ignition lock/keys..when i had the "wait 3 min" message i tried my spare key a couple of times and the engine fired up and the SECURITY light went away!

I measured the key resistance to 523 ohm,code 2 and im going to buy a resistor next week and make a bypass cable! A lot easier than removing the steering wheel :bluesbrothers:

What is bypass cable? All you need is figuring out the right wire coming from the ignition lock cylinder , cut it and solder the resistor in.

Roger,

Hi KHE!

What is bypass cable? All you need is figuring out the right wire coming from the ignition lock cylinder , cut it and solder the resistor in.

Like this i mean..

Roger Martinsen

Roger,

Hi KHE!

My '93 Fleetwood Brougham showed the same signs in mid 2004. I replaced the ignition ock cylinder and had the new cylinder keyed to my existing keys. I anso maid a jumper harness that I keep deeply hidden in the car in case the issue occurs again.

Bottom line, I'd bypass the system in the future if it went bad.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Just a quick question...i measured the key resistor to 523 ohm and found a seller on ebay that sold 100 pieces 523 ohm 1/4 watt resistors for 2,49 USD that i bought! Perfect match!

But i read that people that did this bypass used 1/2 watt resistors and not 1/4 watt resistors....can i use 1/4 watts or do i need 1/2 watts? Does it make any differens what watts they are?

Roger Martinsen

There is not very much current in that circuit - I would think a 1/4 watt resistor would be fine. You could also locate a local electronics supplier and find a 470 ohm and a 47 ohm resister and place them in series. That should be close enough and you could have it fixed in less time than it would take to have the parts shipped.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

• 1 month later...

Update!

Made an resistor bypass cable last weekend and installed it under the steering column and it worked great...now the SECURITY lamp is off when driving! I also installed a new lock actuator in the front passenger door and now that doors centrallock is in working condition!

Problem solved:)

Roger Martinsen

Update!

Made an resistor bypass cable last weekend and installed it under the steering column and it worked great...now the SECURITY lamp is off when driving! I also installed a new lock actuator in the front passenger door and now that doors central lock is in working condition!

Problem solved:)

Roger,

Good work.

Glad to see you solved the problem.

Posted Image

• 9 years later...
On 2/28/2010 at 8:45 AM, adallak said:

Can you explain how to do this in detail, I’m having the same issue with my STS. 

Archived