CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Ignition module confusion

jlinde

Recently I got an ignition module with coils from e-bay - it was said to be for a 93-99 Eldorado -Northstar but it has a different coil numbering:

The original is upper row 2846 and lower 5317 meaning that 2-5, 8-3, 4-1 and

6-7share the same coil but the one I bought has the upper markings 5317 and lower 8264 and a part number ?? of 1103966 1H08 which I did not find

This one gives a different ignition order whatever it can be- the ignition module

also has a plug in the camshaftsensor input probably eliminating the cam sensor?

Does anybody know what I got from ebay -can it be for another V8 with a different crank and firing order? Olds maybe? Help appreciated.

Just recently did the same thing in aquiring an ICM from e-bay. I also encountered the numbering issue and to remedy this I first labelled each spark plug wire with the associated number plugged into the original coil, re-labelled the e-bay ICM to match the original and plugged the wires back in and it runs perfectly. I can't help you out with the part codes but the wiring inputs matched the original. I can tell you that I had a P083 code appearing and upon further investigation it pointed out a faulty ICM, therefore I replaced the ICM.

Goodluck,

Petrov

Hi Petrov,

Thank you for information - I will do the same - putting the wires in the same original location as you did - and renumber the coils. I have had the P083 code

now and then too but just at startup or cranking - but it is history at next startup. Even the FM reception is partly disturbed from engine - I have changed plugs and wires - no difference. The original problem is that the car has a kind of miss or chuggle now and then at any gear when cruising. I checked the EGR according to Guru -no deposits there - the car has 68000 km's on it - I have also changed the PCM - no difference either so this ICM change is another try. / Jan Linderholm

Hi again,

I just replaced the ICM and coil module with the new one from ebay and put the wires in the same pattern as original ICM shows and everything works OK.

It will be interesting to see if the P083 will show up again.

That code has not appeared at all for me since the swap out 2 months ago.

Cheers,

Petrov

Archived