CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

1994 SLS transmissions troubles UPDATE

navion

Problem:

4T80-E in 1994 SLS

Codes P029 & P094 set. Transmission limited to 2nd gear limp home mode. Transmission fluid is clean with no abnormal odor. Inside of transmission looks very clean with the exception noted below.

I dropped the transmission pan this morning and found three things:

The first item that I noticed was in addition to normal clutch debris, there was some small flakes of a redish/orange material that resembled hi-temp RTV. This material was not present when I changed the fluid previously. I am hoping that it is the sealant from the torque converter seal that I replaced when I had the engine out last year. ( I installed a rebuilt torque convertor at that time.)

The second item is that one of the solenoids mount base (white nylon part of the solenoid) was cracked which allowed the solenoid coil to swing away and disable it's self. This is probably the cause of the trouble codes P029 and P094.

The third item that I noticed was that the solenoid screen assembly (item # 917 in fig. 17 lower control valve assembly) was pushed out against the base of the broken solenoid.

Given all of the above, what I am trying to determine is:

1. Did the solenoid break on it's own, causing this problem?

2. Did the solenoid screen assembly somehow push on the solenoid causing the base to break?

3. Where did the red flakes come from?

If anyone has some insight into these questions, please "E"mail me @ navion@midwest.net .

Thanks

Britt

Britt

The original shift selenoids were known for breaking like you described, that is why they came out with a new and improved version.IF I wer you i would put a new selenoed kit in and gi ve it a try. I belive that this will cause the limp home mode. Now for the foreign , matter i have no idea what that might be.

Given all of the above, what I am trying to determine is:

1. Did the solenoid break on it's own, causing this problem?

2. Did the solenoid screen assembly somehow push on the solenoid causing the base to break?

3. Where did the red flakes come from?

If anyone has some insight into these questions, please "E"mail me @ navion@midwest.net .

Thanks

Britt

# 1

I suspect # 2 had a share in the failure of the solenoid.

# 2

The replacement solenoids do not have the lip that holds the screen in place.

The kit contains a metal retainer that now does that job, separate from the solenoid.

I have not heard of the new solenoids failing.

# 3

No Idea.

2008 STS V8
2016 Colorado Z71
1970 Corvette LT-1 Coupe

I now have the lower valve body off and the solenoids out. The solenoid screen assembly was clean. I did manage to lose one of the solenoid retaiing clips. If it is not included in the kit I will have to buy another.

After I think about it I am beginning to believe that the red chips could have come from the new (rebuilt) convertor. Other than that, the transmission is extremely clean on the inside.

Anyway, I have ordered the solenoids from Brasington. I will post back when they are installed to let everyone know if this solves the trouble.

Thanks

Britt

Britt

Recently had a limp home 2nd gear experience and, although there were no codes to indicate shift solenoids ( i have had imput speed sensor codes for a long time and am ignoring them as that is a bad a.ss repair and it seems that I can live with it for now).

Anyway, replacing the soleniods fixed the real problem, just hope you know where those little steel balls go.... :rolleyes:

Wow, would have been great to have had that pic. 3 of the balls are obvious, the 4th, is not. A description of the issue, I believe from willy-hank, and a bit of deduction seemed to do the trick. Its been working for 4 months now, so I guess it was the right place. Wouldn't it be a hoot if it didn't matter where the 4th little ball went, that gm just made it so that it would drive us shade tree mechanics crazy ....

:lol:

it does shift hard into 2nd occasionally ...

• 2 weeks later...

I got the solenoid kit and got it installed, drained the side case, installed the two lower suction screens, refilled the trans & took her for a test run. Problem Solved!!

Thanks to everyone for all the help! :D

Britt

Now all I have to do is figure out what is causing the miss (lasts for about a minute) on cold startup! :huh:

Britt

Archived