CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Unrealistic Expectations

This is intended as a joke, but please be aware when posting about a problem with your Cadillac that this is the way they read some times.

We all want our cars to be problem free. But it is best to be patient and reasonable when they break down.

The best way to solicit help here on the site or anywhere else is to focus on the symptoms, describe the problem as best you can,

and any associated details you can provide.

Hi, I just bought a new tube of BEST toothpaste, and I am P*SSED!

I fully expect a $2.29 tube of toothpaste to give OVER 100 servings of toothpaste. A QUALITY tube would; BEST obviously is CR*P!

The tube I bought has MANY problems, is dirty, broken, and barely has MAYBE 20 servings of toothpaste left.

Is this some kind of Honking JOKE? BEST must be the WORST toothpaste company ever!! My teeth are dirty and BEST

needs to fix this PRONTO!

At first I thought I got a good deal. I was at a yard sale, and there was this originally $2.29 tube of BEST

toothpaste. At first the sales person said it was not for sale, that it got left in the bottom of the box by

mistake and was meant to be thrown out. I saw through this though and talked them down to $0.25.

SCORE! I thought. $2.29 tube of BEST premium brand toothpaste for $0.25. But boy was I wrong.

After I got it home I discovered that the toothpaste tube had some kind of defect, so there is like

globbed toothpaste around the nozzle of the tube, and some dried toothpaste on the cap.

These are obvious MANUFACTURING DEFECTS!!!!! I feel BEST should RECALL these tubes immediately

and refund double my money back. I would CONSIDER a new tube as compensation, but ONLY of a REAL

quality toothpaste; I am DONE with BEST and you will soon read why!?!

After I worked with the cap and nozzle and got them mostly cleaned, I discovered that the previous

owner had squeezed from the middle of the tube or something and the seam along the bottom has

a small split. OMG I thought. There is toothpaste on my hand, in my sink. BEST should have known that

the original purchaser might do that. Obviously the tube was also not manufactured correctly and is defective.

So now I am thinking BEST owes me maybe 2 tubes of a name brand, quality toothpaste, or

at least my $2.29 back.

I am weeping for my lost time and teeth. I tried calling the BEST customer service number. They gave me a complete

run-around, claiming that since I bought a USED tube of toothpaste that the original purchaser would otherwise have

thrown out that they owe me NOTHING! BEST is WORST! BEST is WORST!

Before you criticize me for this post, keep in mind that I have been honest and expressed my view.

I love BEST toothpaste, but they really screwed this tube up, BOY!

Bruce

2023 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing

Follow me on: Twitter Instagram Youtube

WOW this is perfect! Thanks

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

But what if you had unrealistic expectations that were surpassed! :o (yeah I stick my head in the door every now and then, hope JimD does too)

But what if you had unrealistic expectations that were surpassed! :o (yeah I stick my head in the door every now and then, hope JimD does too)

You mean like the 1980 Sedan de Ville I bought and drove for over 20 years and over 250,000 miles and did almost "NOTHING" to it? :D:D

That car was, without a doubt, the best vehicle I have ever owned...and I have owned a "BUNCH" of 'em. :D

It still had the original drivetrain. Engine, transmission and rear end.

Nothing had ever been done to any part of the drivetrain.

I put plugs in it at about 150,000 miles.

It wasn't missing or anything like that, I just figured that after that many miles, it probably needed new plugs.

The ones I took out looked almost as good as the new ones, so I put the old ones in the boxes that the new ones came in and put them in the roll a way...just in case I needed one "On down the road." :D

It still had the original plug wires on it when I sold it.

At about 200,000 miles, we were on vacation one summer in Colorado and the alternator light came on.

Made it to a town and bought brushes, bushings and new voltage regulator and rebuilt it in the parking lot. No more problems.

Did have to put brakes on it a time or two.

Replaced all radiator hoses and heater hoses when it was about 12 or 14 years old. The radiator hoses were getting mushy and spongy.

Even the cassette player still worked when I sold it.

The only recurring problem it ever had, was the retractable radio antenna.

About every three years, it would have to be replaced.

The nylon piece INSIDE the antenna that made it go up and down, would break.

Cadillac would charge me 93 bucks (I think) to replace it.

I know I will never get another one like that....but I am still hopeful that it may happen SOMEDAY. :D

Posted Image

You see Jim, that is why we connect, you rebuilt your alternator in the parking lot

A few years ago, my 91 Seville blew its water pump on the NYS Thruway. I was flatbedded 22 miles to the hotel, got up, took a taxi to the auto parts shop, bought the water pump and installed it in the hotel parking lot with tools borrowed from the hotel superintendent

I probably told you this one, we were travelling through Texas in 1964, with our 1955 Cadillac, all of a sudden, the temperature light came on. We blew a freeze out plug in the middle of NO WHERE. We had a cooler with chicken in it, and we had a charcoal bbq, my Dad asked my Mom to make dinner. My dad got under the car and after cursing for a few minutes he said to my mom, do you have your sewing kit? HUH, I thought! She said yes I do, give me a bobbin of thread. Huh?, I thought. He held the bobbin next to the freeze out hole and it almost fit, he sanded it down and popped it in the hole and it fit tight. He stuck a pencil into the hole to seal the bobbin. We walked back to a creek to get water, filled the radiator and left the cap loose and drove 50 miles to the motel. It was late in the day and it cooled down. The next day we went to a garage and the mechanic had to beat on the wooden bobbin with a hammer and chisel because the wood expanded from the heat and water! Ill never forget that. Imagine that we used to travel with NO CELL PHONE? :lol:

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Once out in West Texas...in the hot summer of 1961...in an old 1951 flathead Mercury, the fan belt broke.

I was a LONG WAY from a town, and on a back road and there was very little traffic.

I cussed it for a little bit, waiting on someone to come by so I could hitch a ride to the next town.

THAT didn't happen, so I started looking around for a fan belt or SOMETHING that could be used for a fan belt.

I had some high top army combat boots in the back seat with RAWHIDE laces in them, not regular cloth laces.

Took one of the laces out and put it around the pulleys and tied as small of a knot in it as I could.

Started the car and it stayed on, but was jumping where the knot was hitting the pulleys.

I just idled away...very low rpm...then to 2nd gear, then to 3rd gear.

Basically IDLED the car for about 15 miles till I got to a town where I could buy a fanbelt.

Kind of a goofy, Southern Engineering way to do it, but (like your Dad did)...it worked. :D

Posted Image

and they did that with slide rules in "55", we kick butt hands down :D

At least we used to.

NO ONE could touch our engineering or technology.

There was NOTHING we couldn't do...

But somewhere along the way...we have lost most of our backbone.

I wish it was still like it used to be.

We were the BOSS...and that was IT.

Anyway...if you are ever coming down Texas way...let me know.

I know some real good eating places. :D

Posted Image

1969. I was driving a company-owned '65 Galaxy 500 from Long Island to Batavia, N.Y. I hadn't been told it had intermittent stalling problems.

It stalls on the N.Y. State Thruway.

In the trunk of the car was a 12" GE B/W television (I worked for a GINORMOUS TV repair company that serviced major department stores . . . and I was on the way to a Sylvania training seminar).

I had little in the way of tools, but I DID have a pocket personal nail clipper and there WAS a roll of black electrical tape in the glove box.

So, like I said, it stalled on the Thruway. My thought was the distributor condenser was bad. I raised that 12" B/W TV over my head and slammed it onto the concrete as hard as I could. Then I jumped up and down on it a couple of times. I then selected an appropriate sized capacitor from the TV remnants and installed it in the distributor using my nail clipper (as pliers) and the electricians tape for insulation.

Moments later, a Trooper arrived and offered assistance. I told him if the engine didn't start I would need assistance. It started; we went to Batavia and returned without incident.

Ah, it was nice to once have been young.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Ah, it was nice to once have been young.

Regards,

Warren

Yes it was. It sure was.

We didn't know that "YOU CAN'T DO THAT." :D:D (whatever "THAT" happened to be)

So we just went ahead and "DID IT."

It worked and we went on down the road. :D:D

Figuratively and (sometimes) literally.

Posted Image

But we didnt complain a lot about THAT, either, we just DID IT!!!!

Back to Bruce's original post, try to be realistic, I just sold a 2000 Mazda 626 for a friend and the guy that bought it wanted to know why the tail end of the headliner was loose, IT'S 9 YEARS OLD! I firmly believed my 96 STS would look like the car in the Blues Brother Movie at 125K but it went to 313k and still kicked *smurf* the day I traded it in! Texas Jim, may take you up on it, can't get good Prime Rib here

Texas Jim, may take you up on it, can't get good Prime Rib here

I know a place where it is an inch and a half thick and you don't even need a knife to cut it. :D

Owwwwwww . . . . . .

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Archived