CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

96 Deville Remote

Scotty

My remote lost its range last week so I went to Radio Shack and bought a new lithium battery thinking the battery was dead as it got weaker over about a week.

I replaced the battery and the next day, it was dead again, today it bearly opens the doors. Is this one of the failure modes of the remote where it will drive the battery dead? Thanks, Mike

Mike, I would try another battery first. Past experience has taught me to avoid the "shacks" batteries. Yeah he may be able to dunk a basketball but he doesn't know diddle about batteries. Try a "good" battery first and then go from there. If that doesn't work try whacking the remote againt the dresser and shout a couple hardy "MoFo!!!".....always makes me feel better.

-kg

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Mike, I would try another battery first. Past experience has taught me to avoid the "shacks" batteries. Yeah he may be able to dunk a basketball but he doesn't know diddle about batteries. Try a "good" battery first and then go from there. If that doesn't work try whacking the remote againt the dresser and shout a couple hardy "MoFo!!!".....always makes me feel better.

-kg

You made me crack up with your post! Yes and Shack is about to lose the NBA championship, shockingly! Thanks, I will perform your revival procedure and report back, Mike

PS, I call my dog MoFo, not the long version, the short version, MoFo, after all I have a daughter. A junk-yard rotty, that throws up, pisses, farts blue smoke and wipes his face on the furniture after he eats. He is a food slut that will clean off your plate if you leave the room and waits patiently and stealthy for you to make a mistake, so he can do so. So "MoFo" fits him perfectly. He knows I don't like him, but my wife and daughter, just love the "little boy" and are talking about another one when he passes...

I've had difficulties with remotes as well with two cadillacs, the 97 deville I have given up on trying to get the remote to work . Will eventually take it to the dealership to figure it out I guess. My wife drives this car, she can break anything in record time. I did have a problem with the remote with the 96 STS tho, replaced the battery three times also took it apart to make sure it was clean and making all the contacts and still could not get the darn thing to work. I took it to the dealership and they "reset" from what I uderstand by hold two of the buttons down at the same time while inside the car with the key on. I'm sill not sure what they did but would like to have the other car's remotes to work as well and have tried to copy the procedure without sucess. Watching all of this kinda reminded me of Rocky and Bullwinkle " Nothin up my sleeve"...........

sebring06RTP.jpg

I've always had problems with the factory GM remotes. New batteries, cleaned contacts, didn't matter. Range is always very small (20 feet at the most). A guy at work with an '02 Deville can unlock his from inside the building. I wish I could work mine from that far. Nothing I've tried has even come close, even using the "chin" method. :)

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The dealer cleans the remote contacts with a pencil eraser. A new battery won't help if those contacts are dirty. Clean the battery edges and back where the contacts hit and try using a kleenex or clean rag to put it in. Oil from your hands can cause contact problems. This bit of wisdom cost me $50 when I couldn't get an ebay remote to work even though I have the programming instructions.

I figured it out, on the side of the remote there is a metal tang that comes out, that touches the circuit board when the two half are put together. I simply gently bent the tang up to cause it to have a stronger contact with the circuit board and cleaned the shinny area on the circuit board that it contacts and BAM, it works fantasitc.

I want to give credit to kger2 for the MoFo maneuver. I went out to the car and when it could not work banged my leg with it and said, MoFo and I discovered that the remote was working intermittantly. Once I saw it was intermittant it was just a matter of checking what was loose! thanks to kger2, Mike

Archived