CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

marvel mystery oil :)

bigfoo

What do you guys think of this.. I've been using it for YEARS in all my cars and my 2 cycle weed eaters, chainsaws and other 2 cycle motors.. even in my lawnmower mixed with oil..

I've always added this stuff to my oil and even mix it with gasoline .. I was just curious if anyone else has ever used this? I've been using it in the caddy of course too. It's just a bit expensive :) every time changing the oil adding a $7 quart of mystery oil to it :)

Over the years i haven't had a single problem with the 2 cycle engines i've used it in (i just use it mixed with the gas instead of 2 cycle oil)...... and i've put it in the gasoline about 4 oz per 10 gallons and had good luck also in lawnmowers and cars..

I've never seen anyone else use it or mention it ..........

also, i've used red line oil and royal purple oil in hotrods (mainly because it's good stuff but also because it gives more horsepower on high revving engines , we measured it on a dyno on several engines using regular oil and switching to redline/purple and in some cases gave 10-20 more HP but then again these engines are already pumping 400hp+)

Just curious :)

I don't know anything about it but I'd be suspicious of anything called Marvel Mystery Oil.

Recently my wifes Explorer had valves hanging up in the valve guides and the engine ran rough, the explorer is known for this condition. I used the MMO, and the engine ran smoothly almost immediately. Coincidental? My son changed the oil and didnt put the MMO back in.... it began to run rough again, put in a can, smooth again..... Things that make you go Hmmm.... Mike

Wow i'm glad to hear that someone else has heard of it and actually used it before :)

anyone else ?

After you put it in the explorer, did it permanently fix the problem or did you have to put in another quart every time u charged the oil? I would think it would clean the valves eventually, and yu can also put it in the gas tank to clear/lubricate the fuel system .. it's not a very strong cleaner though

Wow i'm glad to hear that someone else has heard of it and actually used it before :)

anyone else ?

After you put it in the explorer, did it permanently fix the problem or did you have to put in another quart every time u charged the oil? I would think it would clean the valves eventually, and yu can also put it in the gas tank to clear/lubricate the fuel system .. it's not a very strong cleaner though

No it was necessary to put it in every time. It was not dirt in the Explorers case it was binding as the guides were worn. Mike

I've heard great things about MMO, but in my humble opinion, there's no reason to use it as "preventative maintenance". I've heard of it fixing problems before, and I've tried it myself in an old Buick with a bad clatter (which turned out to be a wrist pin I think). But I wouldn't use it as a matter of preventative maintenance. Modern lubricants have all the additives necessary to thoroughly protect the engine, and anything above and beyond is really unnecessary. But as you may find, it may not put a hurting to anything on your car...just to your wallet.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

If you mix it about half and half with STP oil treatment, it makes a wonderful slide lube for a .45, either Springfield or Colt.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

I was a little skeptical at first. I work at an automotive store part time and noticed that stuff was always flying off the shelf. I noticed itf has been around for ages. I bought the 16 oz bottle and added it to my gas and oil. Right away the car ran smoother! The fuel pump whine was alot quieter. I'm sold ! I have a gallon of it in my trunk.!

In my two STS's I will add it several times a year to my fuel tanks, to provide a little more oil through the intake side of the engine. It seems to smooth out the little roughness that develops over time.

A couple of years ago one of the STS's had a slight clatter and uneven idle. I added a quart to the crankcase and within minutes it was smooth and quiet. I now add a quart every third oil change just to keep a little preventative "medicine" in the engines.

I also have a 1966 New Yorker with a 440 engine (bought new) that I keep at our vacation home in upper MI. This car sits for 8 months at a time. A few years ago it started running rough and very rich. My opinion after checking everything out was sticky lifter(s). I added a quart to the oil, and in this case it took a few days of normal driving and then the car smoothed out to a very reasonable idle.

I added a quart to the next tank (28 gallons) of gas, and this car with 98,000 miles on it was running great. The extra oil in the fuel helps keep the fuel metering needles, and float assemblies working freely in the carburetor.

It is now a yearly routine to add these amounts to this car, to keep it running well.

I think it is basically very fine machine oil with penetrating qualities, which will free up mechanical parts that are sticking from varnish buildup or heavy oil deposits.

It won't fix broken parts, but it is a great oil or fuel additive for certain conditions. I buy the gallon size, for price and convenience.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

I had an 84 Eldorado with low power and it had been to three or fours shops and no one could diagnose the problem - finally a guy said: those 4.1 engines get carbon buildup - try some MMO. I put it in the gas, and after a couple of tankfulls, with MMO each time, it started running better, and in about 4 tanks the car ran like new. Go figure.

I live in Hollywood CA and have it on good authority that it is extra-specially good in some of the more interesting sex practices also . . .

haha... Marvel Mystery Oil. I can't believe they still sell that stuff.

It amazes me that people would put something called Marvel Mystery Oil into their vehicles without know what it is or how it works. I guess PT Barnum was right.

Personally, it looks a lot like ATF to me. I always assumed that's what it was.

. . .It amazes me that people would put something called Marvel Mystery Oil into their . . .

I'm with you. I want to see the the API rating so I get some assurance of quality before it goes into my car.

It amazes me that people would put something called Marvel Mystery Oil into their vehicles without know what it is or how it works. I guess PT Barnum was right.

Hi Greg,

I appreciate your skepticism regarding MMO. I also doubt the long list of oil additives. In this case though I have undeniably proven that it can help on several of my own vehicles; for different problems.

If your car or truck gets regular service and is driven responsibly, a normal oil change should work just fine. But....many of us have bought cars with unknown service history. Often these cars were service neglected until just prior to sale, then the car is waxed, vacuumed, oil is changed and a new air filter put in and behold it looks like a well-maintained vehicle.

1. MMO has proven to my doubting mind that it can definitely free sticky lifters. It cannot of course fix a collapsed lifter, flat lifter, or otherwise physically damaged lifter.

2. MMO has also proven to me it can keep carburetors and fuel injectors functioning properly. Carburetors are more susceptible to this problem the injectors. When a carbureted vehicle sits for periods of time the fuel will evaporate and residue is left. Over time and repetition this builds to a sticky varnish like substance. Typically the metering needles will start sticking in various positions and not meter the fuel properly; resulting in to rich or lean conditions. MMO will soften and remove these deposits. MMO also remains in a liquid state so even though the fuel evaporates the MMO is left behind to keep the gaskets moist and prevent most shrinkage. Again it will not tighten screws on the carburetor, adjust throttle plates, etc., It will remove the sticky deposits and burn cleanly. As to why it works on injectors, I don’t know the answer to that question, but it does seem to clear up rough idle condition in a similar fashion.

3. Early Chrysler Hemi engines were notorious for the rocker arms clogging with sludgy deposits. On one of mine I wasn’t ready to tear it down yet so I tried MMO as a “what the heck it might work” and it was not expensive and it was supposed to act like penetrating oil. It took about a week of driving (400 miles or so) and the oil started coming through the rockers near normal flow. I was able to postpone the rebuild for six months when I finally had enough money to rebuild the engine.

As for some of my car ownership history; I have always serviced, maintained, and built my own engines for my various cars and trucks. I do not normally recommend additives but I feel MMO can be a useful product used in a thoughtful manner.

Please view my profile for a few of the vehicles that I have had over the years.

Keep up the skepticism, I will too, but don’t close your mind to good products, even if the name does sound a little silly.

-George

Drive'em like you own 'em. - ....................04 DTS............................

DTS_Signature.jpg

More years ago than I care to remember and old mechanic once told me that trans fluid was basicaly very high detergent oil and was great for keeping engines clean. For many years I substituted a qt of oil for a qt of trans fluid at oil changes. Never did any harm, don't know if it did any good :lol:

As everyone knows, I use Lucas, But MMO is right up there with me. I have used it in Gas and oil and did notice a difference. My Dad bought a Caddy 67 loaded style with a Hung up Lifter< I mean that thing wrapped! BIGTIME! He boughta special tool and started to replace them one at a time, but he kept missing the right one. Over comes gramps and pours some MMO in and like 2 min later no Rap!

In Vain do the men of science try to dispell the magic in Lucas and Marvel Mysetery Oil!

If the crap works then why not?

But, as far as the fuel, if it does contain solvents, thats a no no for Caddy's

Lucas says it contains no solvents. I used it for lets see. 60K (Just in Cadillacs) and no fuel problems yet. So it must not harm them.

MC

Archived