CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

The Goose is honking now!

Well.. finally got the tips welded on and snapped a few pics. These mufflers are Dynomax Super Turbos, 2-1/4" in-out. These are the shorter 14" body due to some length constraints I had with the longer than OEM tips I married them to. I bought the tips on Ebay, but found out later I could have bought them online for much less. (live and learn) I put on the mufflers myself, and had a local garage weld on the tips. He used all stainless clamps, hangers and adapters for just $40!

For those of you wondering, these style "resonated" tips do actually tone down the noise of louder mufflers some. I had her out and about for a few days before I could get them set up, and man was it loud! Some of this is probably due to the exhaust not being out from under the rear end also I suppose... Sounded great for a while, but it got old when cruising around. Now it is a nice deep mellow tone at idle and cruising, but has a nice snarl when you open it up!

I couldn't believe what I found when I tore the old rotting mufflers off. The inlet size was 2" but inside the case it imediately necked down to a very restrictive 1.3" dia! What is up with that? Has anyone ever seen this on any mufflers before? I think this would be adversly affecting performance with too much back pressure. The were not OEM I'm sure, but somewhat similar in look. I sure like the new look and sound much better!

post-3-1086663472.jpg

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Here is another angle of the car. Sorry, I didn't have it centered in the frame! :rolleyes:

post-3-1086663622.jpg

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

I will be needing new mufflers on mine.  What is the part # to those Dynomax's.  Were they difficult to install (bolt on/off?)?

Thanks,

Eric

Part no. of the mufflers I used is 17731. Here is a link to ALL the Dynomax Super Turbo specs...

http://www.dynomax.com/documents/super_turbo_specs.pdf

Again, I used this choice because of length and inlet/outlet requirements with these tips I bought. Note that this is classified as "Sport" muffler, where the 20" is a street. I would imagine those are a little quieter if that is what you prefer and have the room.

I bought the muffs from Summit where they had a free T-shirt and hat promo, they were something like $35 each. Painted them with Por 20 high-temp paint to keep them looking good. They were very easy to install and clamp up. The bending of the adapter pipe and welding the tips on is not something I could do myself though...

Where did you get them for $35? The local parts store I called had them for $71 each? The street version were $59 each?

I got them at http://www.summitracing.com/ They have the best prices i could find on them. I checked around locally too, but they were all in the $70 area... Good luck!

Thanks Scotty, I really think the finish on the car looks fantastic too... especially for an 11 yr. old car! I use Meguires wax on my vehicles, have had nice results. ;)

Where did you get them for $35?  The local parts store I called had them for $71 each?  The street version were $59 each?

I got them at http://www.summitracing.com/ They have the best prices i could find on them. I checked around locally too, but they were all in the $70 area... Good luck!

Thanks Scotty, I really think the finish on the car looks fantastic too... especially for an 11 yr. old car! I use Meguires wax on my vehicles, have had nice results. ;)

NICE, I use Maguires also!! Keep feeding that PAINT the polish, it looks great, VERY HEALTHY!!! Mike

I was looking at this close-up of the rear quarter just now, and was amazed at how good the reflection is... I didn't notice when I took it but you can see a relection of our house, the flag, and even my dog sitting there. Can't see her too well in this scanned image though, black lab blends in pretty good! :D

post-3-1086728626.jpg

Archived