CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sound

03SLS25

I've had my '03 SLS for a few months now, but the sound is boring and too 'grandpa' for my liking. I was wondering if there were any suggestions on brands and types of exhaust tips or mufflers I could purchase. I've been looking into Cherry Bomb's Glasspack, but am not sure.

I also want to upgrade my stereo, but my audio guy tells me I'd have to replace everything for it to work properly because of the Bose system, anyone know if there's a way around this?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a thread you might find interesting:

<a href="http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=17739" target="_blank">http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=17739</a>

Here's another:

http://caddyinfo.ipbhost.com/index.php?sho...amp;mode=linear

If you search the forum I've seen information on upgrading the Bose stereo system. Haven't done it on mine yet, and I have the basic non-Bose system.

WARNING: I'm a total car newbie, don't be surprised if I ask a stupid question! Just trying to learn.

Cheers!

5% discount code at RockAuto.com - click here for your discount!

I just want to say this guys, I sat in Warrens car last night, and heard the BOSE system in his 01 Eldorado. I was STUNNED at how good it sounded and definately will look for a car with the BOSE system in it myself. Do your BOSE systems NOT sound good or are you into the idea of sub boxes in the trunk, etc?

The Cherry Bomb glass pack will be a very loud muffler, keep in mind that you really don't want a DRONE at highway speeds.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

I just want to say this guys, I sat in Warrens car last night, and heard the BOSE system in his 01 Eldorado. I was STUNNED at how good it sounded and definately will look for a car with the BOSE system in it myself. Do your BOSE systems NOT sound good or are you into the idea of sub boxes in the trunk, etc?

The Cherry Bomb glass pack will be a very loud muffler, keep in mind that you really don't want a DRONE at highway speeds.

I like the extra bass and the tuning options from adding a sub box. the highs are pretty good in the Bose system, isnt the best ive heard but if you dont listen to your music very loud then it isnt that bad. My music levels varry depending on my mood and the song. Most of the time the Bose systems does great considering its a factory system, and i listen to rap a lot. I would change my system only because sometimes, with some songs my music demands more highs than the Bose system can deliver, and if im in the mood to turn the vloume up i wont have to worry about killing a speaker.

I like the extra bass and the tuning options from adding a sub box. the highs are pretty good in the Bose system, isnt the best ive heard but if you dont listen to your music very loud then it isnt that bad. My music levels varry depending on my mood and the song. Most of the time the Bose systems does great considering its a factory system, and i listen to rap a lot. I would change my system only because sometimes, with some songs my music demands more highs than the Bose system can deliver, and if im in the mood to turn the vloume up i wont have to worry about killing a speaker.

Well said. I am lucky I suppose that I like all music BUT rap, and metal, :lol:

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

Well said. I am lucky I suppose that I like all music BUT rap, and metal, :lol:

My Miles Davis and Monk sound great on the system!! LOL... :lol:

I'm with Dana F. I don't mind the system in it, but I want more of a boom from it. The stock sub is good too, but... Well, you get the picture.

What is a good sounding muffler or exhaust tip though, brand wise?

I'm with Dana F. I don't mind the system in it, but I want more of a boom from it. The stock sub is good too, but... Well, you get the picture.

What is a good sounding muffler or exhaust tip though, brand wise?

im not very knowledgeable with exhaust.. someone will post their experience soon im sure. I do know a lot of my friends use Flomaster's. i dont know if they are good or not though. I do know they sound good on my friends F150

and the stock sub is nice like you said... but i got a feeling its gonna blow very soon. I wanted to just change the speakers and run them off the factory amp but i found out that the amp's output is low and made specifically for those speakers. And changing everything is going to be a pain most likely, seeming how you have to keep the factory radio to prevent codes.

Here's a sound clip from my blog:

There is a deep bass element that you won't hear unless you play the clip on a good hi-fi. I wasn't sure that I had captured it until I made a CD track out of the WAV file and played it in my living room, and on the Bose system in my Cadillac.

This sounds a bit noisy when the throttle is opened, but the microphone is an electret (hi-fi stereo capacitor maicrophone) about 5 feet from the back of the car. Inside, it's not bad at all, and my wife likes it.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

You can add just an amp and sub if you can live with the bose in the rest of the car... I was going to do that but I dont want to give up the trunk room... I already have to carry my snowboard in the back seat. <_<

Jonah

You can add just an amp and sub if you can live with the bose in the rest of the car... I was going to do that but I dont want to give up the trunk room... I already have to carry my snowboard in the back seat. <_<

If that's all it takes, awesome. I've got 2 12" subs from my last car and the amp to power it, but I was told by my audio guy that I'd have to replace everything.

I agree with others to not use glasspacks because of the drone. They sound very nice because they don't remove low frequency but the problem with that is that low frequency is very difficult to cancel out inside of your car. Low frequency travels right into the cab and makes driving very tiring.

On my car, I ended up using Flowmaster Deltaflow 50's. Supposedly, they are very free flowing and they do a great job of not transmitting sound into the cab of a vehicle. I have been very impressed and would recommend them to others. After install, I did not notice any increase in noise inside my car. Here's their website.

http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/mufflers.html

IPB Image

If that's all it takes, awesome. I've got 2 12" subs from my last car and the amp to power it, but I was told by my audio guy that I'd have to replace everything.

All you need to do is splice into the sub wire. If you get it before the amp, it will be like a pre-amp input. If you go after the amp, you have to wire it as a line-level input.

It is difficult to replace existing speakers because there are individual amps for each speaker.

Jonah

That's what I was told, I don't know much about car electronics. Actually I don't know much about cars at all, I know what I like and I know enough to pick a decent car, but that's it.

Dear all,

Has anyone else tried to follow this "two-topic'ed" thread, louder exhaust and louder sound?

It seems possilbe to get confused by the alternating responses, that could be mis-interpreted.

Are you trying to wire a sub-woofer to a hole in the bottom of your trunk to give the exhaust more bass?

Or, are you going to use a Cherry bomb or Flowmasters to pipe your sound into the cabin?

Just kidding... :D

Add power to leave problems behind. Most braking is just - poor planning.

All you need to do is splice into the sub wire. If you get it before the amp, it will be like a pre-amp input. If you go after the amp, you have to wire it as a line-level input.

It is difficult to replace existing speakers because there are individual amps for each speaker.

So there is an amp for each speaker? or is there a crossover for the component set in the front and then everything goes to one amp? Do you get codes if you disconnect the rear sub?

From what I was told, each speaker has it's own amp. To my understanding you'd be able to wire another sub and amp to that without changing anything, but as I said... I don't know much about car audio. In the long run, it may be easier, albeit a little more costly, to just replace everything.

guys, are you more of a gear head and want to hear that rumble ...

or, are you a audiophile and want to hear the music ???

I am a gear head and I have had to patch my exhaust system area lately,

where my cat. converter, was stolen from with flex pipe and now it is throatier

and louder, and on a fat cat that sucks ... IMHO ...

and I would think, much more so, if I was an audiophile, that I would want to enjoy the quite ride

and the 11 speaker 200 watt Bose stereo speaker system or better yet, if you trick it out ...

than a louder exhaust, which you can't turn down, like you stereo ...

measure twice, cut once guys ...

Lane

guys, are you more of a gear head and want to hear that rumble ...

or, are you a audiophile and want to hear the music ???

I am a gear head and I have had to patch my exhaust system area lately,

where my cat. converter, was stolen from with flex pipe and now it is throatier

and louder, and on a fat cat that sucks ... IMHO ...

and I would think, much more so, if I was an audiophile, that I would want to enjoy the quite ride

and the 11 speaker 200 watt Bose stereo speaker system or better yet, if you trick it out ...

than a louder exhaust, which you can't turn down, like you stereo ...

measure twice, cut once guys ...

Lane

your right im more of an audiophile.. never really was into the exhaust systems.. And i think my system is an 8 speaker system.

From what I was told, each speaker has it's own amp. To my understanding you'd be able to wire another sub and amp to that without changing anything, but as I said... I don't know much about car audio. In the long run, it may be easier, albeit a little more costly, to just replace everything.

I think it would be easier to add an amp and box to the factory system(splicing before the factory sub amp). If your going to replace the components in the front then thats a different story. Im sure the aftermarket system would not work with the factory amps. What i wanted to do is remove the factory sub, and install an after market in the same place and use the factory amp.. but i dont believe that amp is powerful enough, therefore i think i will splice the amp and input my own. then i dont loose trunk space and i get the extra, tight bass that im looking for. but then im sure i would want to change the door speakers after that to get more highs.. so i would end up going all out!! :D If i change the head unit then CadillacETC1997 has factory nav/dvd units that are plug and play ready that i would consider... unless i get talked into getting a more advanced unit with bluetooth, ipod, voice act., etc..

If you plan to replace the factory sub, you probably can, but you will have to run another amp for it. remember that you will have to replace it with a free-air sub, which wont give you as tight of bass as a sealed/ported box setup.

Ive thought about building a small box that would allow me to mount a sub in the stock location and still have a box, but I think it would be easier to just put a box in the trunk and get it over with.

Ide like to look into fitting a fiberglass box under the back seat. That would be slick.

Jonah

The Bose system uses Acoustic Wave speakers in the doors. The Bose Acoustic Wave system is a unique speaker that has a piston that operates across the acoustic spectrum, from woofer to tweeter. The woofer action is made possible by using very long travel with the piston in a cylinder that flares to a horn shape to get the bass into the room or car. Tweeter action is made possible by very light construction of the piston. The impedance and resistance of the voice coil is very low, under 1 Ohm, so the amplifier is positioned at the speaker to eliminate the speaker wires and their resistance. Traditional wide-range speakers, such as those that use whizzer cones and such, have intermodulation distortion caused by cone movement for bass causing Doppler effect for treble, but the Acoustic Wave speakers avoid this by generating the mid-range and treble without distortion at the piston surface, and coupling all frequencies to the air through the horn.

These speakers use the same configuration that are used in the compact wide-range speakers for the Bose Wave radios and their Acoustic Wave sound systems. As far as I know, there is no other technology that can provide really good bass without a large enclosure behind the speaker, which is not possible in the doors and would occupy more trunk space than a convertible top.

If you have poor bass from a Bose system, there's something wrong. I would look into it. If I turn mine up I can see the inside rearview mirror vibrate.

If you want hundreds of watts of bass, then you need more power and bigger speakers... and a bigger battery and alternator.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

If you plan to replace the factory sub, you probably can, but you will have to run another amp for it. remember that you will have to replace it with a free-air sub, which wont give you as tight of bass as a sealed/ported box setup.

Ive thought about building a small box that would allow me to mount a sub in the stock location and still have a box, but I think it would be easier to just put a box in the trunk and get it over with.

Ide like to look into fitting a fiberglass box under the back seat. That would be slick.

i did see a while back these sub enclosures that are made for the sub to go into the back (where the factory sub is located), and it acts as an enclosed woofer. pretty neat. probably not aas good as a sealed box though. i dont mind loosing some trunk space, im not putting more than two 12's in there. Fiberglass would be nice also..

Archived