CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

CODES please help

ok im new at this code thing as you will be able to tell... i check the codes several times... within a two hour period. The first time i got a lot of ABS codes but most of them said history next to them. One of them was Current (ABS c1246). i got a lot of other codes for other things but all of them said history next to them. should i still worry bout those codes? Then i ran it again and i didnt get as many history ABS codes but still got the ABS C1246 and also got a ABS c1227.. both current). i have no clue wat this means and if it affects my trans.... but like i stated earlier... some times my trans wouldl shift really hard and then sometimes it rides super smooth... i dont understand!! :huh:

ok im new at this code thing as you will be able to tell... i check the codes several times... within a two hour period. The first time i got a lot of ABS codes but most of them said history next to them. One of them was Current (ABS c1246). i got a lot of other codes for other things but all of them said history next to them. should i still worry bout those codes? Then i ran it again and i didnt get as many history ABS codes but still got the ABS C1246 and also got a ABS c1227.. both current). i have no clue wat this means and if it affects my trans.... but like i stated earlier... some times my trans wouldl shift really hard and then sometimes it rides super smooth... i dont understand!! :huh:

You definitely have bad battery-cables-grounds-contacts. Have someone check them up, put an extra ground cable to the engine block, etc.

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

You definitely have bad battery-cables-grounds-contacts. Have someone check them up, put an extra ground cable to the engine block, etc.

IS THAT THE CAUSE FOR THE ON AND OFF ABS AND TRACTION LIGHT... BECAUSE I LOOKED UP THE COEDS AND THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WIT SPEED...

If the voltage at the PCM or any of the other eight or ten modules gets below 9 volts, even during starting, they won't work right. When the codes change every time you start your car, then you can be sure that's what's happening. The most common causes are an undercharged, tired, or dying battery, or a corroded or loose connection on a battery cable. Most often battery cable problems are corrosion at the positive terminal.

CTS-V_LateralGs_6-2018_tiny.jpg
-- Click Here for CaddyInfo page on "How To" Read Your OBD Codes
-- Click Here for my personal page to download my OBD code list as an Excel file, plus other Cadillac data
-- See my CaddyInfo car blogs: 2011 CTS-V, 1997 ETC
Yes, I was Jims_97_ETC before I changed cars.

Your first code, C1246, is because atleast one of your brake wear sensors are worn, meaning you need new pads or the sensor is not connected. Likely does not have anything to do with your shifting problem, I drove around with this code for months until I got to change my pads.

The second code, C1227, is for "Left Rear Excessive Wheel Speed Variation". Im not positive, but I think this can be caused by a bad wheel speed sensor or possibly a bad wheel bearing, but Im not sure, I havent had experience with this. This MAY affect the transmission, but Im not sure, but it may make the computer "freak out". Just a thought. Someone who has more experience with this may chime in.

Do you have a FSM for your car? If you do, you can look up the code in the book and it will give you a way to diagnose the problem.

I would check the batt connections like they said, these cars are very electrically sensitive.

Jonah

Your first code, C1246, is because atleast one of your brake wear sensors are worn, meaning you need new pads or the sensor is not connected. Likely does not have anything to do with your shifting problem, I drove around with this code for months until I got to change my pads.

The second code, C1227, is for "Left Rear Excessive Wheel Speed Variation". Im not positive, but I think this can be caused by a bad wheel speed sensor or possibly a bad wheel bearing, but Im not sure, I havent had experience with this. This MAY affect the transmission, but Im not sure, but it may make the computer "freak out". Just a thought. Someone who has more experience with this may chime in.

Do you have a FSM for your car? If you do, you can look up the code in the book and it will give you a way to diagnose the problem.

I would check the batt connections like they said, these cars are very electrically sensitive.

No FSM... if anyone has one the help would be appreciated.. and ur right i do need pads so thats the cause of the 1st code.. i will get the battery inspected tomorrow, and the connectors. What does the codes with history next to them stand for? This morning when i ran the codes i got Dim U1016 Hisotry, PCM 1122 History

No FSM... if anyone has one the help would be appreciated.. and ur right i do need pads so thats the cause of the 1st code.. i will get the battery inspected tomorrow, and the connectors. What does the codes with history next to them stand for? This morning when i ran the codes i got Dim U1016 Hisotry, PCM 1122 History

I would reset your codes and see if they come back, if not I would chalk it up to an error in the system, these cars are pretty temperamental with all of the electronics and sensors, and there are fluke codes set. History means it happened before, but is not happening now. I would check out the wheel speed code first.

Ive got to go take a final right now, but I have a FSM for an 01 STS, and if I can make it to campus later this afternoon, I will try to scan in the page for the second code for you.

Jonah

I would reset your codes and see if they come back, if not I would chalk it up to an error in the system, these cars are pretty temperamental with all of the electronics and sensors, and there are fluke codes set. History means it happened before, but is not happening now. I would check out the wheel speed code first.

Ive got to go take a final right now, but I have a FSM for an 01 STS, and if I can make it to campus later this afternoon, I will try to scan in the page for the second code for you.

thanks so much for ur help.... and i did clear codes.. and it hasnt come back yet... thanks

let me know if u get a chance to copy the page for me

Dana, I got your PM. I responded to these codes in you "Jerk Feeling" thread, but it looks like the guys helped you out here.

For future reference you can get the meaning of your codes here

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

Mike

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

let me know if u get a chance to copy the page for me

Dana, I got your PM. I responded to these codes in you "Jerk Feeling" thread, but it looks like the guys helped you out here.

For future reference you can get the meaning of your codes here

http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2.html

Mike

thanks i saw ur pm... i responded back.. in the other thread... i will look at hte battery and terminals today... still scratching my head over the jumping feeling i get from the engine...

Here are the pages for the C1227 code. Sorry, but I had to take a picture of the pages with my old, crappy camera. I almost got in a fight at the computer lab on campus because some kid wouldnt get off the one computer that has a scanner. You are only subposed to use it if you need the scanner or the color printer, and he was using a program that is on the other 50 computers in the room. AHHHHH :angry: I was so close to hitting this kid, some freshman giving me crap.<_<

Ok, sorry for venting, here are the pictures.

This one is of the first page that refers to the code.

1.JPG

This one is the diagnosis tree for the code. I would look more at possible problems further down, since I am assuming you dont have a scan tool.

2.JPG

And finally this one is of the ABS diagnostic test which the one above refers to in the first test, but it requires a scan tool.

3.JPG

Hope this helps, let me know if you cant read anything and I can try to scan again or take another picture with my good camera later this afternoon.

Jonah

Here are the pages for the C1227 code. Sorry, but I had to take a picture of the pages with my old, crappy camera. I almost got in a fight at the computer lab on campus because some kid wouldnt get off the one computer that has a scanner. You are only subposed to use it if you need the scanner or the color printer, and he was using a program that is on the other 50 computers in the room. AHHHHH :angry: I was so close to hitting this kid, some freshman giving me crap.<_<

Ok, sorry for venting, here are the pictures.

This one is of the first page that refers to the code.

1.JPG

This one is the diagnosis tree for the code. I would look more at possible problems further down, since I am assuming you dont have a scan tool.

2.JPG

And finally this one is of the ABS diagnostic test which the one above refers to in the first test, but it requires a scan tool.

3.JPG

Hope this helps, let me know if you cant read anything and I can try to scan again or take another picture with my good camera later this afternoon.

THANKS... for your help.. they arent showing up on this computer here at work.. not sure if the problem is on ur end or mines.. ill will check again later this afternoon and see if it works.. if not ill let you know so you can send the pics to my email. thanks

You can try this link, It should have all three in an album.

You can click on the individual pic, and then look on the right to find the link that says "veiw largest photo" it should open in a new window.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jking220/FSMPa...key=_d7XSKvuRk0

Sorry about that

Jonah

That link should work... sorry I checked to see if it linked, but it must have only worked because I was signed in to my other account.

I will try to convert them to public pictures and they might come up.

Jonah

That link should work... sorry I checked to see if it linked, but it must have only worked because I was signed in to my other account.

I will try to convert them to public pictures and they might come up.

they came up just couldnt read what was on them except for words that where big and bold...

hmmmm.... they work for me... I am going to a buddys house tonight and I think he has a scanner. I will take my FSMs and try to scan them in there and post a better picture for you.

Jonah

hmmmm.... they work for me... I am going to a buddys house tonight and I think he has a scanner. I will take my FSMs and try to scan them in there and post a better picture for you.

thanks... if you cant dont worry bout it.... imma see if i get the problem again today

Archived