CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

THROTLE BODY CLEANING

franey

THROTTLE WAS STICKING SO I THOUGHT I WOULD CLEAN IT UP A BIT. WHEN I REMOVED THROTTLE BODY THE BOTTOM OF THE PLENUM CAVITY CONTAINS A LITTLE , LOOKS LIKE OIL OR RESIDUE OF SOME KIND , AT EACH CAVITY INSIDE THE PLENUM. IT HAD BEEN CLEANED PREVIOUSLY BY THE DEALER , I AM WONDERING, IF THE CLEANER THEY SPRAYED DOWN THE THROAT , DISOLVED THE INSIDE BLACK CARBON AND THIS HAS BEEN THEIR SINCE THEY DID IT THE LAST TIME. IT IS NOT GAS , AND IT DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE OIL , EXACTLY . CAR RUNS GREAT , NO PROBLEMS, NO OVERHEAT, NO MISS, NO NOISE, OIL CONSUMPTION ABOUT A QUART IN 1700 MILES. I AM OPEN TO SUGGESTIONS AS TO WHAT THIS MAY BE.

Mine gets it all the time -- it just seems to be a residue that builds up over time that needs to be cleaned out. I don't spray the throttle body directly with solvent -- I soak an old toothbrush with solvent and then scrub the residue. It always comes right off. I use Gumout Throttle Body Cleaner. I have to do that about every 6 mos. or so.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

The motor I had apart on my engine stand had the same oily residue/puddle at the bottom of the intake plenum. My take on it is that it is oil. As you know these engines have a PCV valve which is connected to one of the cam covers and the intake manifold. Any blowby past the rings is drawn up by the PCV valve via engine intake vacuum or low pressure and I would think any oil mist from windage is drawn up as well. If the velocity in the intake plenum is low, like when idling or just crusing at low speed the oil mist probably falls out of suspension and collects at the bottom of the intake plenum.

Guru will no doubt have a better answer than this, but, this is my take on it.

That may be another reason for the WOT runs that he recommends as well.

Dennis

What about this decreasing performance or gas mileage? I took off my throttle body and looked down the intake and it's like nastiness, sludge.. i can stuck my finger in it and wipe off a lot of it.. it's probably 1/8th inch or maybe a little less deep of nasty smelly black goo :)

Read bbobynski's post 3 more times. The only problem you 'might' see will be a slightly sticky throttle coming off idle.

Not to worry.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

THROTTLE BODY LOOKS LIKE A NEW ONE NOW, ABSOLUTELY NO STICKING WHATSOEVER. The only real shock , came when i bought the throttle gasket , at $6.90 for the gasket , but not to be outdone the IDLE AIR CONTROL , O RING was just a few cents shy of $10.00 for an O RING. Now i wonder how many O RINGS, can you get out of a barrel of oil.

"i can stuck my finger in it and wipe off a lot of it.. it's probably 1/8th inch or maybe a little less deep of nasty smelly black goo"

Where exactly are you sticking your finger. LOL (sorry, couldn't help myself)

still laughing.

Jeff :lol:

Jeff

98 Concours

90 Seville

04 Corvette

ahahahaha

take off the throttle body and you can stick your fingers in there.. :)

in the intake manifold... that kinds of goo CAN't possibly be good to be in there :>

ahahahaha

take off the throttle body and you can stick your fingers in there.. :)

in the intake manifold... that kinds of goo CAN't possibly be good to be in there :>

It's perfectly normal and won't hurt a thing. It's just oil residue from the PCV. Clean it and it'll be right back, kinda like cleaning your exhaust system.

god it's so nasty.. the last engine i rebuilt and cars i tore apart were all carbuerated.. i really haven't touched one of the 'new' computerized fuel injected ones yet.. maybe i'll dive into the computer one of these days if i have time (i'm a network engineer for my job so computers is where I'm at lol)

You'll be amazed :o it is nasty looking. The carburated engines had fuel washing down the throttle plate and manifold. The port injected engines only get exhaust gases and crankcase gases dumped into the manifold. I couldn't beleive it the first time I saw it, UUUUGLY, but harmless.

How come they try and push these intake and fuel system cleaner kits on me at the oil change place? there's supposedly something they 'drip' in the pcv valve and it cleans out the intake and another thing they put in the fuel system ( just fuel injector cleaner it looks like )..

Are these things just invented for making money or do they actually 'increase gas mileage and performance' as the people tell me?

I had it done once and it made mountains of smoke come out the back of the car for 20 minutes and then it stank for weeks so obviously it cleaned something out but it's still nasty in there ... but did it help anything? Should I do it again? I wi sh i could just carbuerate this thing :> hEHEH wouldn't that be fun

How come they try and push these intake and fuel system cleaner kits on me at the oil change place?

Are these things just invented for making money or do they actually 'increase gas mileage and performance' as the people tell me?

Should I do it again?

They push them on you to make money.

No they don't increase your milage or performance but they do clean your wallet very well.

Save your money.

Archived