CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

LPG Liquid petrol gas

Psycho

Hi there

is here anybody, who has a LPG injection installed ?

My STS is about to be converted.

The cost for the LPG will be about 40% less, including the fuel, needed for the cold start

(premium fuel $2,177 and LPG $1,08 in germany)

You have to drive the car, till the water-temp will hit 30°C, then the ecu automatically

switches to LPG.

Flash-lube (valve protection) will bee installed, too.

My question.... what about the valves?

It is no secret, that some cars have very soft valve-seats....

Hay anybody knowledge or experiences with that ?

regards Psycho ;-)

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

From what I researched a few years back, using LPG is better than gasoline and makes the engine last twice as long. The conversion was pretty simple and it allowed you to use either gas or LPG at the flip of a switch. The only draw back was the LPG tank took up trunk space.

I have heard gas is much more expensive in europe compared to the US. i don't know what LPG costs per lb in europe vs the us. maybe its the same? LPG is also made by the petroleum industry so I guess the industry can charge whatever price they feel like, its all about profits.

I have heard gas is much more expensive in europe compared to the US. i don't know what LPG costs per lb in europe vs the us. maybe its the same? LPG is also made by the petroleum industry so I guess the industry can charge whatever price they feel like, its all about profits.

I posted the actual costs per litre above.

$1.08, compared to $2,17 premium fuel.

@Paul T the Tank in the trunk is realy big (aprox. 38x16 inch)

I will post some pics next week.

STS

regards Psycho :bluesbrothers:

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

I posted the actual costs per litre above.

$1.08, compared to $2,17 premium fuel.

@Paul T the Tank in the trunk is realy big (aprox. 38x16 inch)

I will post some pics next week.

STS

regards Psycho :bluesbrothers:

That is one sharp looking STS.

lpg is $0.75/lb here. is a litre of lpg equal to 1 kilo? i am not sure of the specific gravity of lpg. so if you pay $1.08/litre than that equals $0.49/lb? or 1.08/2.2. or you can tell me what you pay per lb.

lpg is $0.75/lb here. is a litre of lpg equal to 1 kilo? i am not sure of the specific gravity of lpg. so if you pay $1.08/litre than that equals $0.49/lb? or 1.08/2.2. or you can tell me what you pay per lb.

I have to pay $1,21 per lb - but I live in Germany!

Compared to $2,17 per litre or $8,21 per gallon...... Germany isn't cheat for V8 drivers :fighting0025:

Psycho :rolleyes:

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

Finished.......

Einbau.jpg

Today my car was ready.

Everything is fine and the guy who made the conversion is realy good!

The car runs smooth and without any problems.

The mounted system is a Stargas Polaris.

It schitches automatically to LPG-mode, if the coolant hits the 21°C (70°F).

During a Testdrive on the highway (remember, I live in gemany), the car was testet up

to a speed of 230km/h (144mph).

No problem.... and the car was capable to accelerate a few km/h more.

I will post some experiences the followeing weeks.

The price for the conversion was about $1930, inlcuding all needed certificates.

Fuel cost will now drop to 60%

regards..... psycho :welcomesmiley:

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

the car was testet up

to a speed of 230km/h (144mph).

No problem.... and the car was capable to accelerate a few km/h more.

How is the performance? Any noticeable difference from being run on gas?

Install looks nice/professional... hope you like it.

Jonah

Hi

today it had 35°F (2°C) outside temperature.

The car started on petrol and after aprox 1mile, it switched to LPG.

I didn't felt the precedure, but there is a display, that tells you in which mode

you are driving.

Perfect!

I dind't notice a power loss, so far.

I will use my G-Tech Pro on the weekend to check if there is a difference.

@STSS... what do you mean with "How is the milage affected?"?

regards.... Psycho :bluesbrothers:

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

cost per mile is the real question. what do you pay for premium gas now and what is your average mpg? that will tell you cost per mile. than do the calculation with lpg. how far can you go on a tank of lpg and what does that tank cost to fill? easy math.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I have done some performance tests (G-Tch Pro) and the difference is about 2-4PS peak power.

But the G-Tech has a tollerance up to 5PS.

Accelerarion is the same on petrol or LPG.

I drove nearly 1000miles..... no problems, you can see it here: Spritmonitor

The shown fuel/100km is LPG.

Compared to pertol, the fuel consumption is about 7L super/100km, that's 33MPG.

Price for LPG/L is under 50% compared to petrol :-)

regards Psycho

Psycho.gif

243728.png LPG

There's the issue of vehicle inspection here in the USA. How does LPG show up on the test computers? Won't a person's car automatically fail inspection?

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

New Jersey tends to be tough on modifications if I am not mistaken, but I believe as long as the car meets the emissions it would pass. I would think that this conversion would do better in terms of emissions.

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

New Jersey tends to be tough on modifications if I am not mistaken, but I believe as long as the car meets the emissions it would pass. I would think that this conversion would do better in terms of emissions.

In New Jersey it's illegal to perform ANY type of modification on a car. This can include anything from after market rims to after market air filters. The inspection machines are set up with preloaded "values" based upon averages for a car that includes acceptable variations based on the car's age and mileage. If a car's test readings fall outside of those acceptable variations the car fails inspection, including if the numbers are too low since the machine suspects some form of cheating has taken place.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

WOW, even if the emissions are low, but corruption by its polititions and speeding by its governor is ok :lol: (I should talk with NY's Spitzer and our new gov who has admitted to drug use and affairs, LOL)

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

WOW, even if the emissions are low, but corruption by its polititions and speeding by its governor is ok :lol: (I should talk with NY's Spitzer and our new gov who has admitted to drug use and affairs, LOL)

Yes. If the emissions are below the expected values for a certain make/model/year of vehicle, the computer is programmed to suspect some type of cheating has taken place so the car is failed. Strange huh?

As for the corruption, I hate to have an ear-to-ear smile while I say this :) but I predicted 20 years ago that New Jersey was going to fall apart into little itsy bitsy pieces because of all the corruption. Naturally, I was ostracized from society here in New Jersey because of my beliefs but heck, I never wanted to be a part of this place to begin with so it seems God works his magic in protecting those of us with clarity of vision. :wub:

In New Jersey it's illegal to perform ANY type of modification on a car. This can include anything from after market rims to after market air filters. The inspection machines are set up with preloaded "values" based upon averages for a car that includes acceptable variations based on the car's age and mileage. If a car's test readings fall outside of those acceptable variations the car fails inspection, including if the numbers are too low since the machine suspects some form of cheating has taken place.

From what I have read on New Jersey's inspection machines the are set up to fail somewhere around 80% of the older cars tested.

From what I have read on New Jersey's inspection machines the are set up to fail somewhere around 80% of the older cars tested.

An older car does have a harder time passing in New Jersey (my car recently passed but not by much, I suspect it might be worn out fuel injectors) but Mercedes Benz is the number one car to fail inspection in New Jersey, regardless of age. They seem to become heavy polluters even if they are only 1 or 2 years old. I can't tell you why, I just know this seems to be the case.

Sounds like New Jersey needs to change their motto from the garden state to the Nazi state... :lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Sounds like New Jersey needs to change their motto from the garden state to the Nazi state... :lol:

:lol: :lol: I always referred to it as the Garbage State.... :P

Talking about onerous, I hope that Adallak posts about how hard it is to own and older car in Mass (Kennedy, Kerry, need I say more), according to Adallak, there is a road use fee, that equates to $300 per annum? or a one time fee? based on the age of the car.... OUCH... It is quite expensive to own an older car if that is true, and that is in addition to the standard registration fee.

I will direct Adallak to this thread for him to confirm it.

Talking about onerous, I hope that Adallak posts about how hard it is to own and older car in Mass (Kennedy, Kerry, need I say more), according to Adallak, there is a road use fee, that equates to $300 per annum? or a one time fee? based on the age of the car.... OUCH... It is quite expensive to own an older car if that is true, and that is in addition to the standard registration fee.

I will direct Adallak to this thread for him to confirm it.

You think that's bad, in the UK cars are taxed on a monthly basis and the government wants to install GPS units in all cars and trucks so your every move is not only tracked by the government, you will be invoiced for your mileage (another tax called "toll fees"). Add to this the congestion charges you get socked with if you happen to not live in London but end up driving through. Plus, approximately 65% of the price of petrol in the UK is taxes. Granted, they have a really great public transportation system but WOW, car owners are getting clobbered.

You can bet your bottom dollar these ideas are slowly trickling over here to the USA.

Archived