CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

DexcooL Dead?

The website refers to DexCool as a propylene gycol based which is not correct. DexCool is ethylene gycol based.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Well I guess its shows I'm not an expert on coolant. Missed that. But it is interesting reading. Reason I got here is because it's time to change the coolant in my truck. No big deal its cast iron. What I'm really concerned about is the stuff in my aluminum Northstar motor. According to this site and GMC you don’t want to use anything else. A quick search on Goggle (dexcool) turns up a bunch of lawsuits against Dexcool and some very unhappy people. Have to find out what’s best for the Caddy. Whatever the Caddy gets the truck gets. Not just yet however. Maybe some experts have something to add.

Your '95 Seville was filled with traditional, green coolant from the factory. You could use Dexcool in it but you will still need to drain and refill every 2 years/24,000 miles due to the silicates from the green coolant that have plated the insides of the engine. You can only go 5 years/100,000 miles if the DexCool was installed at the factory which means 1996 or newer cars.

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

The Dexcool WAS developed because of the aluminum block and Rad. And as far as the lawsuits go, a lot of people have been blaming a LOT of things on Dexcool. Some examples are poor maintenance, switching from green stuff to Dexcool, the infamous GM 3.8 intake leak and subsequent overheating, the list goes on. Follow your manual.

Never underestimate the amount of a persons greed.

As stated, stick with the OE recommendations and you'll be fine. Your '95 had the green coolant from the factory, so the benefits of DEX-COOL won't be realized in your engine, because the internals are already plated with the silicates from the green stuff.

I've never heard of anywhere where DEX-COOL was "proven" to have caused a problem. Lots of accusations and "re-engineering" going on out in the field, but never any real research from what I've seen. When maintained properly, an engine factory-equipped with DEX-COOL won't have any problems caused by the coolant. I can attest to that.

Jason(2001 STS, White Diamond)

"When you turn your car on...does it return the favor?"

OH-OH :o I drained and refilled my daughters cooling system last summer ('96 Taurus). I thought it had orange coolant in it and I think I used Prestone equivlent (long life). Should I drain and refill? If so what should I use? OR is it too late? What kind of damage are we talking about and how long would it take to show up?

A body shop had to replace my radiator due to an altercation with a deer (I won...I think). They filled the radiator with the green stuff instead of Dex cool. It was some months before I discovered it. I deceided to wait until time to replace the green then change back to the Dex Cool. Am I an idiot? Is this causing damage to my cooling system? :(

A body shop had to replace my radiator due to an altercation with a deer (I won...I think). They filled the radiator with the green stuff instead of Dex cool. It was some months before I discovered it. I deceided to wait until time to replace the green then change back to the Dex Cool. Am I an idiot? Is this causing damage to my cooling system? :(

Djazzmo, Kevin above wrote this: (not to plagerize Kevin!!)

Your '95 Seville was filled with traditional, green coolant from the factory. You could use Dexcool in it but you will still need to drain and refill every 2 years/24,000 miles due to the silicates from the green coolant that have plated the insides of the engine. You can only go 5 years/100,000 miles if the DexCool was installed at the factory which means 1996 or newer cars.

I believe you situation is the same now that you have had green in it due to the silicates, you can use DexCool, but you will need to change it more often (2 yeard/24,000 miles).

A body shop had to replace my radiator due to an altercation with a deer (I won...I think).  They filled the radiator with the green stuff instead of Dex cool.  It was some months before I discovered it.  I deceided to wait until time to replace the green then change back to the Dex Cool.  Am I an idiot?  Is this causing damage to my cooling system? :(

Djazzmo, Kevin above wrote this: (not to plagerize Kevin!!)

I believe you situation is the same now that you have had green in it due to the silicates, you can use DexCool, but you will need to change it more often (2 yeard/24,000 miles).

bbobynski taught me everything I know about DexCool. :lol:

Kevin
'93 Fleetwood Brougham
'05 Deville
'04 Deville
2013 Silverado Z71

Archived