CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Power steering cooler

Regis

My power steering cooler blew out today. The cooler was pretty rusty...well... very rusty and from what I can tell the hole is located on the underside of the lower line. Having a difficult time locating a replacement cooler online. In the meantime I'm going to bypass the cooler with a piece of appropriate tubing (3/8") and replace the filter too. Gave BBF a jingle today to pick his brain on the situation. I'll post again when I have an update.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

Here's an update. I took out the old cooler. It took a little doing to get the hose off the left side (standing in front of the car and facing it) of the cooler. Used a long narrow screw driver to work the hose off. Finally came off and split the hose at the end but no big deal. The right side was a breeze since I could now twist the cooler and pull at the same time. I was going to do a simple bypass of the cooler, until I could get another, but after examining the dynamics of the oem cooler and making a couple calls to auto shops I ended up fabricating my own cooler. I used general purpose 3/8"(outer diameter) copper tubing and used a bender to create a long S pattern. Then connected it to the rubber hosing on each side and secured it with galvanized wire. Put everything back together and topped off the reservoir. Started the car and worked the steering wheel back and forth. Topped off a little more so that the fluid level was between the Cold and Hot marks and let the car idle for 15 more minutes. P.S. fluid level stayed just below the full hot mark. No whining and everything seems fine.

The copper tubing dissipates heat quickly and I live in NY and not in Florida or southern California. This rig won't win any beauty awards but it should do the job. By the way, when I pulled the oem cooler out it crumbled in my hand. It was just time. Note that I didn't change the power steering fluid filter. I did change it about 3-4 years ago. I'll keep an eye on it though.

"Burns" rubber

" I've never considered myself to be all that conservative, but it seems the more liberal some people get the more conservative I become. "

hmmm interesting that it crumbled in your hand. Do you think that any of the debris could get sucking into the pump? That would score the pump badly. Good improvising.... Good talking to you also..

Pre-1995 - DTC codes OBD1  >>

1996 and newer - DTC codes OBD2 >> https://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/gm/obd_codes.htm

How to check for codes Caddyinfo How To Technical Archive >> http://www.caddyinfo.com/wordpress/cadillac-how-to-faq/

Cadillac History & Specifications Year by Year  http://www.motorera.com/cadillac/index.htm

hmmm interesting that it crumbled in your hand. Do you think that any of the debris could get sucking into the pump? That would score the pump badly. Good improvising.... Good talking to you also..

It was good talking to you too. Been awhile hasn't it? I suppose and am sure that some of the debris made it to the pump. How much of it remains to be seen. At this point it's all about getting the old girl through the next 2-3 years or 300,000 miles. I would love to keep her longer and will probably get misty eyed when it's time to say good-bye but it's not realistic in this environment to expect so much. And we all know that she doesn't owe me a thing so if a new pump is in order then I'll gladly comply. Cheers! =)

"Burns" rubber

Archived