CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Low Oil Pressure

Great, ...I'm stranned at work, I got in my beloved STS, started it, and I have the infamous low pressure warning and bell tone,...no codes. I changed the oil this weekend, I do not think that would be related. I also would not think the phenolic spacer plate cleaning would introduce trash into the crankcase, either. But the engine is making a faint clatter, so I know its real.

This happened to me about a year ago,... so I will do the trick Bbobinski passed onto me, overfill it with about 8 quarts of oil, give it some rev.s, drain and refill it. It worked last time, so I'll give it a whirl again.

Frigg'in relief valve...

Yep, FIFTEEN quarts in the crankcase will do it...

Quote:

>Overfill the crankcase by 8 quarts. Yes, 8 (eight) quarts overfill. This will raise the oil level in the crankcase to above the crankshaft centerline and force prime the pump (since the oil pump will now be submerged). Start the engine. It will now have oil pressure. Rev the engine to 4000 several times to activate the pressure relief valve in the pump and blow the debris out of it. Shut the engine down. Drain the oil to the correct level. DO NOT try to drive it with this much oil in the crankcase or it will force large amounts of oil through the pcv system.<

If I remember correctly, this only applies to 93-95 NS motors.The later ones have a different type relief valve, which eliminates this senario.

'93 STS.. opened, dropped, wide...fast.

user posted image

WOW! :o That is wild, I never heard of anything like that! So the oil pump is actually partially plugged or diminished by something, and this will purge it out when the relief valve opens? :blink:

I would have never know anything about this, thanks for the info guys! I just am amazed at how different this engine and drivetrain is from all the dozens of other GMs I've owned over the years!

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Bad news,..I overfilled with 8 quarts, but it did not restore pressure, like before. I am afraid to rev. it anymore because of the clattering that is going on.

It drove to work just fine,...this is bizarre and could be the end of this car, as a rebuild is not worth it, for its age.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Archived