CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Sagging drivers seat

I have noticed that my drivers seat is sunk significantly deeper in the lower portion of the seat than the passenger side. With over 172K on it, I'm sure it is from just extended driver only trips. Possibly the original owner being a heavy person as well? It is too low for my wife, and is kind of uncomfortable for longer trips...

Thought about trying to swap out some of the lower parts (padding, frame, covering) but know this wouldn't be too easy. Because they are different in a lot of ways, you can only do so much. I did this on our last Grand Am, but it didn't have power seats either. I swapped out the lower frames and padding, and it worked great!

Any ideas, or suggested fixes from someone who has had the same problems?

'09 Cadillac CTS-4 3.6 direct injection, 128 K mi.
'15 Chevy Tahoe LTZ, 5.3i V8, 125 K mi
'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

i had the same issues with mine got sick and tired trying to fix them so i got some used but very good condition ones from a 96 been comfy ever since and they came with the heated seat option.  :D

Can I ask how much you paid for them, and where you got them?

I hate to sound cheap, but I really don't have a lot of $ to spend on this. Especially after my fuel pump went out in our Tahoe while we were on vacation last week... :angry:

Ah yes, the heated seats... :rolleyes: I do miss them on cold winter mornings! My Tahoe has them, and they are the greatest! ;) Wasn't it difficult to install this if the original seats didn't have that option?

'70 Firebird Formula 400, Bored+.04, RAIII heads, M21 4spd., in-process restoration!

Another repair option I was kicking around... If I removed the cushion, maybe I could get an additional piece... say 1-2" thick, and put it in place beneath it. I know that part of it is that the leather is stretched, but this probably would help.

I'm am not really sure where you would get some good quality foam though. Maybe calling a place that does seat upholstery?

The seats use a combo of both foam and support wires with springs on the ends. Its often a combo problem of a broken support wire along with some foam collaspse.

The seat foam and leather replacements are lonnng goneeee.

You can dismantle the lower seat and check the support wires. Bet you find a broken or overstreched one. Repair that and then and a 1 inch sheet of foam. Please note some versions of the upper leather are secured with hog rings. Latter version come right apart. Earlier ones are pretty secured to the rear seat.....so take your time and you will be ok...

Sprucegoose,

with transport i ended up paying 450.00. .Got them from a wrecked 96 out in california.The guy was selling parts on e-bay so i asked if he had the seats and i went from there.

wiring was not a issue for me as i used to engineer,manufacture and install custom wiring harnesses for all sorts of vehicules mostly off road stuff.

The seats use a combo of both foam and support wires with springs on the ends. Its often a combo problem of a broken support wire along with some foam collaspse.

My driver's seat sags too, especially at the left rear corner.

Does anybody know if the springs and support wires are available from the dealer? Any idea of cost?

Do the cushion covers come off rather easily once the plastic clips at the bottom edges are unhooked? (Or is there more to it than that?)

This has been one of those "some day when I get around to it" projects for a long time.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

• 2 months later...

UPDATE>>>

Finally found a few hrs. to takle this project, so I yanked the seat and started dis-assembling. Pretty disgusting stuff under an 11 year old seat! :o

What I did find once I removed the lower leather cover was that these metal tabs that the wires and there springs were attached to were bent way out of position. Actually the whole back wall of the metal frame was bent in slightly. This must have been a pretty big fellow that drove the Goose prior to me!

So I straightened that all out and noticed the springs seemed to be sagging a little too. I was able to grab the ends of those wire hooks that go though the ends of the springs using a needle-nose pliers, and twist them a little to take up the slack.

Next I cut out a piece of a thin floor mat, placed that over the wires and springs. The additional 1" thick fom I added next was not as dense as original seat foam, and I figured the wires would chop through it right away unless I put this barrier between there. It also helps distribute the load out over all the wires and springs. ;)

Had a little difficulty getting the back re-attached to the base, as I was alone and it is difficult to hold and put the bolts in for the pivot and recline rods. :blink: Had it all back together and operational in no time, probably about 2 hrs. total. Man, what a diffference! I sit significantly higher and comfortably in the seat now. The back of the seat aligns with my back the way it should. B) Should have done that long ago!

Thanks for the update! (I still haven't gotten around to it.) I did check to see if replacement springs, support wires and foam are available through my local dealer and they are not.

If it is truely a 2 hour project, I might move it a little farther up my "one of these days" list.

My seat cushion cover appears to be fastened just with long plastic clips around the perimeter of the frame. Is this true or is there more to it?

The hard plastic cover on the outboard side of the cushion (the part that holds the seat controls) should probably come off.

It looks like the seat cushion could stay in the car but the seat back would have to come off.

I just hate to get into somethink like this and find there is a broken spring or some other suprise. It's kind of hard to drive a car with its seat all taken apart.

photo-36.jpg

Happiness is owning a Cadillac with no codes.

My seat cushion cover appears to be fastened just with long plastic clips around the perimeter of the frame.  Is this true or is there more to it?

The hard plastic cover on the outboard side of the cushion (the part that holds the seat controls) should probably come off.

It looks like the seat cushion could stay in the car but the seat back would have to come off.

I just hate to get into somethink like this and find there is a broken spring or some other suprise.  It's kind of hard to drive a car with its seat all taken apart.

Yes, all that is holding the seat cover on is the long plastic clips around the edges. That plastic shroud on the outside needs to come off too of course, just three screws. I doubt that any of the wires or springs are broken, probably just streched and bent like mine.

The whole seat does need to come out though, I wouldn't even try getting that cover off while it is in the car. There are two bolts that hold the back to the base on the inside edge you'd never get at. It really is easy to get the seats out, just move the seat all the way forward and two torxs screws (T45 I think) hold the back of the rails to the floor. You move the seat back to the middle and unplug all the electrical connectors. Rock the seat forward on the rails and lift the from ends out of the slots that retain them. Watch your back, these things are heavy and your leaning into the car it isn't good situation for a bad lower back! :blink:

With it ou you can put it up on a work table, I used a couple saw horses and a piece of plywood. It makes it a heck of a lot easier to work on at waist high level. Good luck! ;)

Archived