CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

A Short Course in Brain Surgery

In A Short Course in Brain Surgery, filmmaker Stuart Browning shows the callousness of "single-payer", government-run health care systems as practiced in Ontario, Canada. His film highlights the plight of Lindsay McCreith, an Ontario man with a cancerous brain tumor who went to Buffalo, NY to receive the timely medical care that is rationed in his home country.

Written, Directed, Edited and Narrated By:

Stuart Browning

http://www.onthefencefilms.com/video/brainsurgery.html

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Could you imagine the tremendous amount of fraud and waste in a government-run healthcare system such as what Hillary Clinton wants? Our taxes are high enough due to government waste and incompetence.

Good one, Warren. But only the visible part of the iceberg.

One has to be asking "why is there such a long delay for diagnostic procedures and treatments?". The answer is, a shortage of qualified personnel and equipment.

The question then becomes, "why the shortage?". The answer is, why would a qualified professional practise in Canada where the payment for services is controlled (limited) by a government agency when the same professional could relocate to some other jurisdiction where the free market controls the delivery and price of services?

Canada and other single-payer health care countries are failing their constituents. The concept is inefficient and doomed to failure. One day in the future, Canadians will be travelling to the Caribbean islands and Central/South America to access diagnostic and treatment services because that is where the qualified professionals will be located.

I consider myself qualifed to address the situation in Canada, and Ontario, because my soon-to-be 97 year old Mother lives in Hamilton. And readers would not believe the tales I could recite regarding single-payer health "care".

Such a system cannot, and will not, work long term. But then no one can fairly accuse politicians of being concerned about anything longer term than the next election cycle.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Jim,

A friend of mine (actually my auto technician) lost his brother to a London hospital.

The brother, with a liver ailment, made the mistake of reporting he consumed alcohol regularly. He was put "at-the-back-of-the-line" (and languished at the back of the ward), so to speak, for reasons related to said alcohol consumption.

The autopsy revealed a simple liver infection that would likely have been cured by available prescription drugs.

'Nuff said?

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

There is no means of avoiding the final collapse of a boom brought about by credit expansion. The alternative is only whether the crisis should come sooner as the result of a voluntary abandonment of further credit expansion, or later as a final and total catastrophe of the currency system involved. - Ludwig von Mises

Here's an article from today's Sunday Sun, a Toronto daily.

http://www.torontosun.ca/News/OtherNews/20...447476-sun.html

One tier healthcare is definitely a myth up here.

If your life is in danger, you cannot wait on a list for an MRI or CatScan ... off you go to Buffalo.

India has become a destination of choice for many medical procedures.

An aging baby boomer population has overtaxed the system, to the point where people

on waiting lists simply expire.

1989 FWD Fleetwood, Silver

1995 STS Crimson Pearl on Black leather

1997 STS Diamond White

1999 STS Crimson Pearl

2001 STS Silver

2003 STS, Crimson Pearl

An aging baby boomer population has overtaxed the system, to the point where people

on waiting lists simply expire.

As maybe the Govt wants them to .... then they are not out any money to care for them.

They can then use the money for pet projects to insure they get re-elected again.

Posted Image

I would recommend the TNI interview here:

http://www.gmu.edu/departments/economics/wew/

Posted Image

....They can then use the money for pet projects to insure they get re-elected again.

And there are several active blatant examples of just that since this issue is driven by a political component. With aplogies to readers beyond our shores, this a domestic U.S. political policy issue that we can only hope will be rejected in November of 2008.

One of our presidential candidates has proposed that the US Congress use taxpayer monies to bail out 'homeowners' who are about to lose their property because they cannot (and never could) meet the contractural terms of their home mortgage loans. Isn't that nice? But, who would be bailed out here? The homeowner, or the mortgage lender? Which of those two groups would you guess is organized well enough to hire a connected D.C. lobbyist?

This same presidential candidate has been an advocate of 'universal health care' for at least fifteen years. Her position on the issue (as the spouse of a President-elect) was made crystal clear from Little Rock, Arkansas, in 1992. The hypocritical aspect of her position lies in the fact that she would not be limited to future medical treatment through the plan being proposed for the unwashed masses; her status as a former First Lady and a serving member of the congress guarantees her priority access to Walter Reed hospital plus other facilities of similar reputation. And the taxpayers already pay the freight on that little perk.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Whoops!

While it *DID* deserve repeating, I think you may have overdone it. :D :D :D

Regards,

Warren :P

Posted Image

• 3 weeks later...

As a little update on single payer health care that will be an issue for US voters during the presidential campaign next year, the Canadian province of Ontario is now in a provincial election period and the candidates are promising what all candidates have to promise. One of the issues being discussed is a "shortage" of doctors in Ontario and the reasons for the shortage (compensation).

If you are at all interested in looking at one picture of the possible future of health care in the US, hook up with some of the widely read and respected Ontario newspapers. The Toronto Star is one of those http://www.thestar.com/default

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Health Care: Government vs. Private

By Walter E. Williams

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

http://www.townhall.com/columnists/WalterE...ment_vs_private

A short but good read.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

While all the candidates offer up "Fodder" for public consumption, what remains hidden are their "Soldiers", or "Who" is to be appointed, if said candidate is elected. Therein lies the "Policy" of our country. By "Policy" I mean "Who" gets "What" and "Who" pays the tab, as well as the "Conditions", or interpretations of the country's "Rule of Law".

The specific wording, of ALL the legislation/laws that composes our "Rule of Law", is irrelevant! The interpretation of our "Rule of Law" by the "Appointed" determines "Policy".

To that end, I suggest a review of WHO has been appointed by past presidents, to get a hint as to who our next President might be.

It all depends on what the definition of is, is....................................

rek

While all the candidates offer up "Fodder" for public consumption, what remains hidden are their "Soldiers", or "Who" is to be appointed, if said candidate is elected.

I can sympathize with your worries, but I think you are mistaken. No one needs guess who the "who" will be after the electorate has chosen. You don't need to guess about President Hillary's appointments. It must be clear to you already.

Hillary will almost certainly be the Democratic candidate. The nomination is hers to lose.

The Republican candidate remains to be chosen. That Republican can only win if he can convince the primary voters he will protect the country, grow its economy, appoint conservative judges, limit spending (at least as much as a politician might be able to) and fix the darn potholes on the Brooklyn Queens Expressway. <_<

Okay, that last one was a personal thing. Remind me to bring it up with NY Senior Senator Chuck Schumer next time I see him. Well okay, maybe I'll have to talk to our junior senator, Hillary.

Okay, never mind.

Regards,

Warren

Posted Image

Something has to be done though. Healthcare is skyrocketing. I had health insurance up until a few months ago. I had a group policy through my business. I started out paying about $500 a month for $100 deductable. I had to reapply once a year and every year my rate would jump about 8 to 17% a year. I had to up my deductable to keep the increases down. Before the last increase I was paying about $700 a month for $2500 deductable for a family of 4, adults in our low 40's kids 4 & 9. I consider myself about average heath for my age. The straw that broke the camels back was the last increase my bill was $860 per month. A higher deductable was still around $800. It was still more than my monthly income would allow. In some years when my $2500 deductable was almost met I was paying my premium plus an extra $200 a month to pay for the deductable amount I incurred. I have been searching and have not really found anything closer to $700. I was paying about 15% of my gross income for healthcare. I have since been negotiating directly with the doctors and hospitals on their bills and the markup is staggering. I was charged $170 for and office call. After some complaining it was reduced to $70. If I had not complained I would have paid $100 more. I have seen bills almost cut in half in some instances. My only problem with this is that I have no catastrophic coverage. If I had an accident and could not work my family would lose everything I have worked hard for.

Alot of people do not realize how bad it is until they lose their corporate/company paid insurance. A friend I work with is in his mid 50's and pays over $1000 per month for $500 deductable insurance. I understand why more and more of the middle class in America are going without insurance.

I really get upset when I hear the UAW or other Unions fighting the companies that want to raise premiums for workers to ease the cost of healthcare especially when the increase is maybe only about $25-$50 a month. I am not a Union basher but people that do not have to pay the premiums every month that are more or equal to their house payment just do not understand.

I do not have an answer but something has to give from all parties involved.

I am not a Michael Moore fan but his last film on Healthcare in America was right on.

Stronach travels to U.S. for Cancer Treatment

OTTAWA–Belinda Stronach, the MP for Newmarket-Aurora and former cabinet minister, travelled outside Canada's health-care system to California for some of her breast cancer treatment earlier this year.

Stronach, diagnosed in the spring with a type of breast cancer that required a mastectomy and breast reconstruction, went to California in June at her Toronto doctor's suggestion, a spokesperson confirmed.

. . . . . . . MacEachern stressed that Stronach's decision had nothing to do with her confidence – or lack of it – in Canada's cancer-treatment facilities or public health care.

SURE . . . . and my nephew is Superman.

http://www.thestar.com/article/256600

Posted Image

Here's an important piece of information you'll find in that article:

"He pointed out that there is a cancer-care facility in Newmarket named after the Stronach family, after Frank Stronach donated $8 million toward its construction in 2004."

Belinda Stronach, nevertheless, chose to leave Canada for her treatment, foregoing treatment at that facility to which her family had donated $8 million, where she might have been expected to receive better than average treatment.

Apparently, she wisely chose otherwise. And likely with good reason.

Regards,

Warren

P.S. If you have links to stories of U.S. government officials flying off to Canada, the UK, France, Cuba etc. for superior medical care, please send them to me. Okay, Sweden also.

Posted Image

P.S. If you have links to stories of U.S. government officials flying off to Canada, the UK, France, Cuba etc. for superior medical care, please send them to me. Okay, Sweden also.

Don't remember ever reading about that happening :rolleyes:

But I do know that Coretta Scott King received "alternative" cancer treatment at a now-closed private clinic in Mexico.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

Archived