CaddyInfo Cadillac Forum

Trunk leaking

Cupillac

I've read this in the FAQ's, but I'm still not understanding it.

There is no signs of the water leaking into my trunk at all, I even watch when I wash the car,

but it is absolutley soaked where my spare tire is.

I can't even get it dry inside there, any suggestions?

Thanks

"Cadillac, it's not a car, it's an obsession"

-W.Kingdon

The carpet in the trunk is removeable. It comes out as one piece. There are some black cone shaped screws that hold it on in the back and side of the trunk. Just pull everything out of the car including the carpet, and wipe down the trunk with a towel. Then let the carpet sit out in the sun for a couple of days to try it up. (It really takes that long to dry it up.) To fix my leak, I replaced the trunk gasket, it cost about $50-$60 dollars. The new trunk gasket is bigger than the old one, so your trunk will look at little "high" for a couple of months, but it will eventually settle down.

once i have openned the trunk and the spare was coompletely covered with water :lol: at least will never get the spare covered with water again ;)

The saddest thing in life is wasted talent

Another location where water sometimes comes into the trunk is from behind the brake lights. There's some type of factory installed putty that eventually dries out and develops cracks so you might want to look at that putty behind the lights and if it's cracked, and you will see a trail of dirt leading from it to the bottom of your trunk, you can use a heat gun and putty knife to remove it and then recaulk it using a special body shop sealer which I believe is manufactured by 3M.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I have found that the water gets in when the trunk is opened when it is wet out or even after washing the car. The water seems to pour in from the bottom of the trunk lid when up. After doing this several times, the water seems to collect in the spare tire well. Pain in the *smurf*. I just refrain from opening the trunk when wet out. Seems like a poor design thing.

2001 STS Mettalic Otter Grey, Black Leather, 213,000 kilometers - miles - ? Still running strong!

adallack, you said you drilled four holes in the bottom of the trunk where the spare tire is right?, does this allow the water to drain out below the car?

Thanks

-W.Kingdon

I don't know if it's a good idea to drill holes, as you would then open the possibility of exhaust fumes leaking into the passenger compartment. I would try to seal the water leaks first. It's not too hard to find the leak areas, just a little time-consuming.

I feel your frustration, I too, have a water soaked spare, in BOTH of my Cadillacs. I just ignore it, hoping that it will go away, and sometimes it does, and then at other times it rains.... ;)

--Flyer

'99 'Vert 'Vette 45k

'97 SLS 55k

Deceased: <'68 Mustang 200+k>, <'86 GMC S-10 180+k>, <'86 VW GTI 180+k>, <'86 Seville 195+k>, <'93 Seville 175+k>

user posted image

I've read this in the FAQ's, but I'm still not understanding it.

There is no signs of the water leaking into my trunk at all, I even watch when I wash the car,

but it is absolutley soaked where my spare tire is.

I can't even get it dry inside there, any suggestions?

Thanks

I have not experienced "large" amounts of water in the spare well, but I do see condensation from time to time. In my case, the water source seems to be rain water dripping from the bottom trunk surface when it is necessary to open the trunk in wet weather.

There is some positive air flow through the trunk but not through the spare well.

I pull the carpet and dry it thoroughly (as in several days) to remove moisture from the padding, mop up the condensation in the spare well and motor on for another year trying to avoid opening the trunk during heavy rain.

No way would I drill holes in the spare well.

Good luck.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

adallack, you said you drilled four holes in the bottom of the trunk where the spare tire is right?, does this allow the water to drain out below the car?

Thanks

Actually, it allows the water to drain from the trunk and INTO the gas tank!! :lol: (just kidding)

You should NOT drill anything INSIDE the car.

Follow the directions given for replacing the gasket on the trunk and sealing up any other cracks.

If you really want to make people safe drivers again then simply remove all the safety features from cars. No more seat belts, ABS brakes, traction control, air bags or stability control. No more anything. You'll see how quickly people will slow down and once again learn to drive like "normal" humans.

I'll pull the carpet out and soak up the water, but I'm just wondering if it's hurting anything below the carpet like rusting or rotting anything?

-W.Kingdon

I'll pull the carpet out and soak up the water, but I'm just wondering if it's hurting anything below the carpet like rusting or rotting anything?

Rust would be obvious; there is not much to rot other than the carpet or padding.

Be sure all is dry at the lowest point and motor on.

Jim

Drive your car.

Use your cell phone.

CHOOSE ONE !

If that water sits there long enough, you bet it will rust out the spare tire well.

Cupillac,

Yes it helps, i mean i never had the spire covered with water (in three years). Nevertheless, sometimes the the trunk is pretty wet and spare, jack, etc. covered with drops of water (condensat). I am kind of radical man and believe THE CAR iS FOR US NOT otherwise, so if I think drilling is a quick solutions I'll go ahead. Please drill the holes carefully otherwise you can get even the radiator drilled as Marika worried ;)

Hmmm....on the old '93 SLS....my leak was at the gas filler panel close out panel. Drooping factory sealer in that area.....

I don't know if it's a good idea to drill holes, as you would then open the possibility of exhaust fumes leaking into the passenger compartment.

how can fumes get into the trunk through a couple of 1/4 an inch holes and spare tire compartment covered with carpet? never had exhaust fumes in the car. i realize drilling is kind of wild idea, but my car is 13 years old with nearly 136kmiles so i hope alittle bit perforation is would not cosidered an insult to her :D

Drilling holes is not a good idea. Unless you treat the edges very carefully, and I have never been able to do that, you are going to have a spot for rust to start. You will also get water into the trunk from under the car when driving through puddles. Better off to fix the leak and leave the drilling to the dentist's! :)

Archived